“Great dinner at the bar”
Review of Blue Water Cafe

Blue Water Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Water Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,942 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Cross street: Helmcken St.
Description: Blue Water Cafe is Vancouver's definitive destination for seafood, widely known for its excellence in celebrating the extraordinary flavours of BC. Consistently awarded "Best Seafood Restaurant" in Vancouver and recognized for its unparalleled service, an evening at Blue Water Cafe is truly an unforgettable experience.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had just arrived in Vancouver and wanted some fish. This wasn't far from our hotel. Were at restaurant at about 5 which was early, we were told, and would not be able to sit at the tables that were empty but we could sit at the bar. That was the best thing that could have happened. The waitress/bartender was very nice and helpful with the menu and drink selections. I had a salad with beet reduction and the local cod! My husband had the char and ceviche and both dinners were excellent. We also tried the grapefruit beer and also enjoyed that. We will tell others about our experience .

1  Thank P L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,450)

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had a great meal at Bluewater. The seafood was perfectly fresh and prepared just the way I like it - not overcooked. Salmon, crab, and char all perfect with great salads and a fab desert.

1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed September 27, 2013

On a business trip to Vancouver went to dinner with 3 colleagues at the Blue Water. Outstanding service from seating us to bringing our meal. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The waiter was well versed in the menu and the specials and assisted the group with selecting appetizers, mains and wine.

I had an assortment of oysters to start from the raw bar. The waiter walked me through the various oysters on offer and the varying flavour profiles of the oysters. They were delicious. For a main I selected a grill coho salmon which was one of the specials. It was grill to perfection and the accompanying sides rounded out the meal perfectly.

I opted for espresso and dessert. I'm not a huge dessert fan and thought that the Black Forest Macaroon was just okay.

Everyone in the dinner party enjoyed their meals. Two people shared a variety of sushi items which were fresh and delicious.

I'd definitely recommend this restaurant and will go back when in Vancouver again.

1  Thank beavertrail
Reviewed September 25, 2013

One of the few restaurants that I have been too that actually know how to prepare and serve fish. Had the halibut and it was cooked to perfection. My compliments to the chef. Our server also very expertly suggested a great wine to accompany the meal.

1  Thank GPSwerve
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Looks like my previous post didn't go through, because my phone died. Anyways, I was extremely disappointed with my visit at this restaurant.

My spouse surprised me with dinner at Blue Water Café + Raw Bar for our 5 year anniversary on Sept 17th. I have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while. We were seated and greeted promptly by the hostess, so it started off pretty good. The server greeted us and got us some waters while we looked through the menu. We were ready to place our order, but our server was missing the entire time. We spent more time turning our heads looking for service, than enjoying our evening. We had to waive at one of the bussers to let him know that we were ready to order. We then FINALLY saw our server and made our requests. We realized that he didn't even take our wine order and we thought that he was probably busy and missed it. So we were planning to just wait until the appetizers come then place our wine order. It took nearly 40 minutes for raw oysters to arrive!!!!! We were so hungry we kept having to eat bread to fill our stomachs and our server never checked up on us and not even take our wine order during that 40 minutes!! I just gave up and decided to stay with water. Throughout the evening I had to waive at somebody ALL THE TIME to just get water!! I was so frustrated because I was so thirsty and I think it is pathetic and unacceptable to have to waive at somebody ALL THE TIME just to get our waters!! Each time I got my water refilled, it was from a different busser!! I just couldn't find our server and he was busy attending other tables and chit chatting about personal trips, hikes, etc. with other tables and completely ignored us. I even get better service at denny's restaurant...as there is somebody always walking around with a jug of water refilling customer's glasses. Anyways, when the food was coming out we saw some other guy make a detour because our tables were not cleared for the entrees. ANOTHER server from the adjacent area had to clear our tables and attend to us. He smiled and apologized for the slow service. That was when we finally saw our own server and then he checked up on us. Anyways at that time, my spouse got his lobster entrée but we still haven't ordered our wine. My spouse had to waive at one of the bussers who was putting bread on another time and we had to order wine from him!!! That was so pathetic and just disappointed. So my spouse finally got his wine after his entrée!

Throughout the evening, I had to waive at somebody for water or sth all the time. I think this is unacceptable especially from a restaurant that everyone has hyped about and also for the price I am paying.

I left very disappointed and nobody said "goodbye or thank you" when we left the revolving doors...not even management. I assume the girls were management because they wore different attire. Anyways....I don't care if the restaurant was busy...if you cannot handle a full restaurant then hire more staff or change management!!!

I might as well bring in my own Dasani water bottle and my own bottle of wine and not have to go through this and ruin my anniversary.

I am surprised because I received exceptional service from CinCin Restaurant, but definitely not here.

The food was good...I enjoyed my sablefish but the service just killed it for me...and I left the restaurant upset and frustrated. Definitely not a good way to celebrate my anniversary. My spouse was upset but he didn't want to show too much frustration because he still wanted to keep a positive experience for me especially he was taking me out for our anniversary.

Regards,