“This Place will Rev up Your Taste Buds”

Banana Leaf Malaysian Cuisine
Ranked #145 of 3,975 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you like Malaysian spicy cuisine, you will love this chain of restaurants. We went to the one on Denman Street. Although we got take out, we immediately noticed the vibes coming from the patrons. People were excited and laughing. One couple who was thrilled by their selection of steamed mussels in cumin and ginger sauce , recommended it to us. Not a mussels fan, we ordered the Malaysian Spicy Papaya Seafood Soup and the Kung Pow Boneless Chicken. Both were hot and spicy as we had asked, and the flavors were exciting to the palate. It is clear that each meal is cooked to order,as it should be, and nothing has been pre-cooked.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Wide variety of delectable spicy lunch offerings, a worth while place to eat in while in Vancouver.
You can also have a great dinner party here- have attended birthday celebrations here that were very nice.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our hotel suggested this place that was within walking distance and we were all pleased. We ordered a variety of dishes and split them. Alcoholic drinks were unique and very tasty.

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This was my favourite restaurant in Vancouver so I was so excited to go. The decor is completely different! Not in a bad way or anything.
We had to wait about a half hour which I expected. I always had to wait, because it's so darn good, so many people want to get a table.
Service was fast and friendly. We had at least three waiters serving us which did lead to some confusion. I got the roti canai which is out of this world! Hubby got the curry lamb and I got the boneless chicken curry. I used to get the nyonya chicken but it was no longer on the menu. Hubby got gis meal about 5 minutes before mine came out. Mine was good but not like the nyonya was. Hubby liked his but neither of us were full, the portion sizes definately got smaller. We ordered a roti to go and later on when we went to eat it, the container of sauce was only. 1/4 full. A little disappointing bit not the end of the world.
Our bill was 40 bucks which really isn't worth it for a lunch that wasn't that filling. We had just taken four other adults to white spot the night before and got a bill of 70 bucks so we were a little surprised at 40 for 2. Still, I wanted to go so we paid it.
The prices were a little steep so next time I'm in Vancouver Im not sure of I'd go back unless I was just getting roti

Our waiters were very friendly though and played with my 6 month old daughter throughout our meal.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We tried out the Banana Leaf on Denman. This small and cozy place close to the English beach was highly recommended by our hotel. So we decided to check it out. Good choice. An excellent (late) diner and cool tiger beer did remind us of our Asian trips. We had an appetizer to share and an entree and were both stuffed with this excellent food. Service was correct and attentive. We would certainly go back to try out more of their cocktails and food menu.