“Not good enough, compared to the competition in Vancouver.”

Five Sails Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Sails Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Howe Street
Transit: The closest bus stop is located at the Sea Bus Terminal at the North end of Granville Street and Cordova Street.
Description: Dramatically situated on the waterfront pier at Canada Place, this AAA Four Diamond award winning fine dining restaurant offers a breathtaking natural backdrop of the inner harbor, Stanley Park and Coastal mountains with gracious hospitality in an understated elegant setting. Proprietors Chef Ernst Dorfler and Gerry Sayers, a husband and wife team, bring years of experience to Five Sails skillfully fusing modern, continental cuisine with European influences to cultivate a memorable dining experience. Showcasing the mastery that made Chef Dorfler an internationally acclaimed Culinary Olympic World Champion, his signature mountain raviolis stuffed with fine herbs, spinach and ricotta then finished with a drizzle of hazelnut butter harken back to his Austrian childhood. The innovative "Catch!", a veritable cornucopia of seafood is enrobed in a lemongrass sauce perfumed with coconut milk and hint of chili, displays world-class passion and artistry. Sommelier, Ramon Fresneda, always brings impressive knowledge and unpretentious flair in providing optimal wine pairings from a list consistently honoured with the Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence. The gracious service and exemplary dining combined with sweeping views of ships sailing off into the setting sun is an experience like none other.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We usually choose our restaurants according to Trip Advisor and awards and recognitions. During our recent trip to Vancouver, we ate at Hawksworth, Sala Tai and Le Crocodile, as well as Five Sails. While each of the other restaurants was absolutely packed, our table at Five Sails was one of only three that was occupied that night. At first it felt weird and then it just felt sad that a downtown restaurant was so empty on a weekend. At first, we thought it was odd that the server cautioned us that there were "only 7 portions left" for the special (this was at 7pm). Now, we suspect that this restaurant is not typically busy, such that only 7 servings of the special might be good planning on the part of the chef! Although the view of the harbour was spectacular, the decor in the dining room was a bit shabby and outdated, kind of what you might find in a basic restaurant attached to a basic hotel. Because the dining room was so empty, we felt as though we were under constant surveillance by the servers, who pounced as soon as we were done each course. Therefore, the service was quick, but also felt rushed. The servers and hostess were very friendly. The food tasted nice and was presently nicely, but seemed old fashioned; one of our appetizers appeared to have been shaped by a funnel, which seemed very 1994. This made us take a second look at the other patrons, and it became apparent that the average age of the patrons seemed older. In other words, this would be a place I would take my 70-year old parents and I think they would be thrilled by it, which is fine. However, if you are looking for something that is a bit chic or interesting or has a nice vibe like so many of the restaurants in Vancouver, this place is not it. We won't be back becuase it is not for us, but I am sure many other people will find Five Sails to be nice.

2  Thank skytre
There are newer reviews for Five Sails Restaurant

Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

One expects the best at a 5 Star rated restaurant...and Five Sails didn't disappoint. We had a window table looking out over the Harbourside...it was a clear evening so the views were beautiful.

We chose a variety of dishes...monkfish, catch of the day, sole and beef...all were tasteful and filling, and the presentation was excellent. We chose a variety of desserts as well and, again, delicious.

Our serving team was courteous and knowledgeable...with a healthy dose of humor thrown in for good measure...they made our evening even more enjoyable.

Truly an awesome evening...well worth the 2 hour drive to get there...

1  Thank rkw48
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My girlfriend invited me for my birthday to this wonderful restaurant. I was hesitant at first when I heard it was a "hotel restaurant". Nothing could be further from the truth. It's independently owned by a husband & wife team and just happens to be in Canada Place which also houses the Pan Pacific hotel. The owner is an Austrian chef with the imagination and skill.

I'm the proverbial "man who has everything" and dined in the finest establishments on 3 continents and it's difficult to surprise me. Well, I was surprised. I chose their current 5 course tasting menu for $88 with wine pairing for $58. Not inexpensive, but excellent value for what was offered. The twists on scallops, duck & deer to mention just 3 of the leading dishes, were truly inventive and utterly delicious. I seriously thought about licking the plate clean :)

My ladyfriend enjoyed the fois gras and afterwards lobster immensely. The freshness and subtle flavours in each prepared dish are memorable.

Gerry, the lady of the house came over to congratulate and couldn't have been more attentive and warm.
As goes for the rest of their staff. We had 2 different servers wait on us and both were knowledgeable and incredibly attentive.

Towards the end of our meal I wanted to enjoy an espresso. However, it was the typical Saeco machine, too much water-too little crema kind. After I mentioned it to one of our servers he immediately agreed and suggested I try their tea. Even though the coffee is quality made by Illy, it's in the preparation. However, their tea is tasty (I had Earl Grey) and definitely *not* Tetley!

3 hours fine dining with a fantastic view, fantastic service. I'll be back here long before the next birthday.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The six of us had a lovely meal, wine, great service. The view was more beautiful than alot of other great spots around the world that we have been in. This harbor gave us watching the float planes coming and going, ships, the spectacular Lions Gate Bridge. and walk about, leading to our Canada Place Convention Center. Actually downtown Vancouver, is a great spot. Highrise hotels along the harbor. The paving stones on the harbor shore presents a easy walk about, lots of lighting on this stroll many eateries. Very safe, while leading us to the Five Sails Restaurant, in Canada Place Convention Center. It is located on the 2nd floor, and we had a reservation directly in front of the window. It appears that seating almost anywhere in this dining location the view is super. .

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great restaurant with incredible service. The presentation made me feel like I was one of the judges on Top Chef.
The service was great and made service an art. I wish the red wine by the glass list had reds with more depth and oak. Being in the Northwest, I would have also liked to have a bigger selection of local Pinot Noir's to choose from.
The food was very good but I wouldn't say it was out of this world.