“One of the best meals I ever ate”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cru - CLOSED

Cru
Cuisines: Canadian, French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Cross street: Granville
Toronto
“One of the best meals I ever ate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Fantastic place to eat that isn't right in the hustle and bustle of downtown but not very far either. We ordered 5 tapas-Beef Tenderloin Carpaccio, Duck Confit, Red Beet Risotto, a soup and one other. Everything was OUTSTANDING! I am writing this review 2 months later (I get a bit forgetful) but I still remember how delicious the meal was. You get what you pay for - we had a wine with dinner and spent a little over $100 but wow was it worth it. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Next time I visit Vancouver I will be going back!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank mrfitness

Dundas
“Small space, big heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Dined here in August during our most recent trip to Vancouver. The restaurant is very narrow but the full length mirror makes it seem much more open then it is.

Ordered the Prix-Fixe as it is a great value. Beef Tenderloin Carpaccio started, tender and flavorful, however the Caperberries were very overpowering and far to salty on this dish.

Seared Rare Albacore Tuna second, cooked perfectly with great flavor.

Little Goat Cheese Cake was for dessert, small but worth every bite.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank wrldtravlrDundas
“the young chef has talent and deserves to be followed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

lunch there: a simple salade nicoise but revisited by Alana the chef. Excellent, very fresh tuna slightly seared with the vegetables and with the potaoes roasted instead of boiled .
However, the portion could be a little bigger , I was still a little hungry .

• Visited August 2011
Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food, attentive staff....we'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Had the pleasure of dining at Cru and was very happy with our meals. Their signature ceasar salad was both tasty and unique in it's presentation. My duck was prepared perfectly, not over glazed to mask the flavor, as so many restaurants tend to do. Husband's salmon was cooked perfectly.
While the restaurant is "boutique" in size, the food and professional and friendly service of the staff make it "grand" . We have enjoyed many fine dining experiences in Vancouver, happily we can add Cru to that list. That said, the only item I can find to improve upon, would be for the restaurant to find a way to negate the draft that blows in when guests are coming and going.

• Visited January 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Lucky Us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

We didn't have a reservation but we were greeted with a big smile and took two seats at the bar where we enjoyed fantastic food and fantastic service. We opted for the small plates experience and we were not disappointed. The wild mushroom soup was meaty with a variety of wild mushrooms and creamy without being too, too rich. There was a wonderful octopus small plate that presented with three circles of octopus and a wonderful Asian slaw. We followed that with the scallops-- two plump scallops on a bed of perfectly prepared lentils with micro greens. The richness of the scallops perfectly cooked with a glaze were only enhanced by the lentils and greens. The short ribs were out of this world. I have only a few times been over the moon about short ribs and this is one of those times. Succulent, rich, with a depth of flavor that was only complemented by the lovely pea shoots that accompanied the ribs. The wine list is quite extensive but since only one usually drinks wine while the other beer I opted for a veer nice french Cotes du Rhone. If I lived in Vancouver this is a restaurant I would return to often.