“bistro on Denman-work in progress”
Review of Central Bistro - CLOSED

Central Bistro
Cuisines: International, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: Comox
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Dined here for the first time with some friends from downunder. Energetic crowd on a Friday night. We all ordered from the three course dineout Vancouver menu. The food was very good, especially the starters - mussels and salad. The main courses could have used a little more flair and could have been hotter. The service was just ok - a little more work would make all the difference.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband I went for dinner to Central Bistro on Denman and Comox on Monday night. We had ordered and everything was going well.
I had specifically asked for an item which was listed on the menu to not be included in my food.
When our dinners arrived, the item (truffle oil) was in my food. Not a big deal. We were with 3 of the kids so one of them could take it for lunch. I told the server that the truffle oil was on there and she said that it was not. If any of you know, like or hate truffle oil, you will know that it has a VERY distinct smell and taste. It was there. No big deal, we did not send it back and just thought again that one of the kids can eat it for lunch…
This is when things got weird.
The Sous Chef came out of the kitchen, stood behind our table and started to read aloud from the menu- specifically the item I had ordered with all of the included ingredients. He then slammed the menu closed, walked past our table and said “It is called reading the menu, you Idiot!” Clearly this was meant for my benefit. I was humiliated in front of my family, the staff and the rest of the guests in the restaurant. The server came and said that it was her fault and that the kitchen had put the truffle oil in the food, The drama continued from there but I will spare you all the details. Suffice it to say that our evening ended quickly.
I sent an email to the owner 2 days later. I have not heard a word and am starting to realize that this complete lack of respect for guests and our hard earned dollars is systemic. Clearly the owner doesn’t care so why should his staff?
If you're downtown and want to have a nice brunch, try Milestones or Cactus on the beach or for dinner head to Espana or The Raincity Grill. All are within 1 block of Central Bistro. I don’t have a vested interest in any of these businesses but I do care about how we are all treated.
I can almost guarantee that you will not get called an idiot.

5  Thank Dawn B
Reviewed October 18, 2012

One of my favourite restaurants in the city! What makes a good restaurant in my opinion is consistency and Central Bistro is one that has met my expectations every time! Great food (the lamb and risotto are both delicious!) and great wine fit well in the warm atmosphere. The patio is nice during the summer and with winter coming I am sure the fire place at the back of the restaurant will be a busy spot! All the servers are friendly and professional and the plates that come out of the kitchen not only showcase some delicious recipes but some impressive presentation! Oh, if you're a fan of cheese and bread (lets be real, who isn't?) get the Charcuterie Plate to start.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The food was excellent, the service good and the atmosphere trendy. The house wine was good, but a little pricey at $10 per glass. We enjoyed a nice evening.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We try to patronize local eateries. We've been to Central Bistro about 5 times since moving to Vancouver 1.5 years ago. Each time it was a struggle to get service, food very slow to served and a dismissive attitude by staff. Our last visit will be our last. We weren't in a hurry and were looking for a relaxing evening. It took well over an hour to have food arrive and when we asked what was holding up the food we were told 'it takes longer here because everything is made from scratch.' We were just having salad a burgers. Even if they may had to bake the buns and grind the beef it shouldn't have taken as long. It wasn't overly busy. (A group of guys had been seated and about 15 minutes later they went en masse to the front counter and ask to be waited on.)
The wait staff were congregated behind the bar, cranking up the sound, dancing and drinking. The bartender was drinking with customers at the bar. No one seemed to be in charge.
When we left we complained about the service and were told we should find somewhere else to eat next time.
There are many great places in the West End and throughout Vancouver. We don't need attitude like this. We won't be going back and we will be telling others of our experience.

4  Thank CdnTrvlr2012