“A Great Leisurely Brunch on the Coal Harbour Seawall Promenade”

Cardero's Restaurant & Live Bait Marine Pub
Ranked #52 of 3,994 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Cardero’s Restaurant in Coal Harbour offers spectacular waterfront dining right in the marina. Enjoy tasty wok dishes to share, fresh seafood, an extensive wine list, and much more. You can dine and watch as their talented kitchen team prepares your food from their open kitchen. The Live Bait Marine Pub features live music Sunday through Thursday from 9:00pm, a great place to grab a bite and pint and enjoy some tunes with friends!
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had just driven into Vancouver from Colorado and were walking the Promenade toward Stanley Park for some exercise. Carderos is a prominent brown building on Coal Harbour with a great view of the harbour. Sitting at our inside table having a glass of wine, mussels, seafood gumbo, and fresh-baked warm bread, we watched sea planes land and take off in front of us. Carderos is a popular spot, large, with both indoor and outdoor seating. For us it was the perfect place to relax, talk, and start slowing down to the BC pace.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,621)

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Was in town for work staying at the Bayshore. Cardero's is right next store and very accessible. Just pulled up to the bar and had a quick meal & a beer. Service was excellent. Ordered seafood chowder which had a small amount of spice and was excellent. Followed up with fish tacos which were just OK. Overall would try again but order something different.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have had two dinners at Cardero's and a lunch. Reservations are recommended as this is definitely a very popular restaurant, and justifiably so. The food is amazing, the seafood is fresh daily and everything is elegantly presented. Staff are attentive and welcoming, always ready with the daily specials and their own personal menu recommendations. When family members visit from the east and I offer them choices, they always choose Cardero's. The patio is comfortable as it does not run along the street but down the side of the restaurant, and a perfect spot for that summer al fresco lunch. Hot food arrives hot, chilled food arrives chilled. I honestly don't think you could find better seafood/service/presentation combination anywhere in the city. Highly recommended, and now our "official" family restaurant!

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We were a group of 10 out on a Friday night. The setting is beautiful on the water near the marina -great views sunny deck. Decor is maritime. But it is so noisy inside that you can barely hear the person next to you. Menu is pretty uninteresting for a seafood restaurant they only have the usual salmon halibut scallops and sablefish. Nothing seasonal. Three out of the 10 dishes(steak and chicken - serves them right for ordering meat at a seafood place) were over cooked and sent back. Meat then came back blue. Fish was a better. Halibut and ling cod were well prepared and presented. Good size portions. The pasta with clams kind of tasteless. Tuna looked ok .The staff was attentive and tried hard but their yeoman efforts could not overcome the food. They comped us a free desert which was nice.

Sequoia R, Customer Service Coordinator at Cardero's Restaurant & Live Bait Marine Pub, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to communicate your dining experience as we value your feedback.

Our restaurant manager would like the opportunity to follow up with you, so if convenient please email your phone number to feedback@vancouverdine.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

Carly B
Customer Service Coordinator I Sequoia Company of Restaurants
e: feedback@vancouverdine.com

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Cardero's is clearly a large scale operation. It was packed when I arrived at 7.15pm, full of bustle and has a vast pirate ship like interior.

I was worried the size of the place may have meant it would just be a food factory, getting people in and out as quickly as possible, ripping them off with overpriced boring food it felt it could get away with because of its reputation and fa tastic location on the Waterfront downtown.

Fortunately, those worries were unnecessary. Service was exceptional, attentive, not intrusive, with helpful recommendations. I was quickly seated at the oyster bar, fascinating if you fancy sitting there as you can watch all the chefs in action.

I had the salmon chowder to start which was good, not the best I have ever had but no complaints $8. Then the salmon with a bit of a Thai infusion sauce and some good veggies. This was very good and I enjoyed it $27. To end, I was convinced by the lovely server Jen to have the nutella and chocolate cheesecake (I think) which was quite good $8 or $9.

It is pricey. My bill for starter, main, dessert and no drinks, and tip was just shy of 50 bucks. I felt the food alone was borderline worth it but the experience overall definitely was. This is a fun, high quality place in a great location and though I probably wouldn't go again on my own, I do think it would be a great place to go with the parents (with them paying of course ;) )