“alot of rules posted everywhere, slow service, good but overpriced food”
Review of Calhoun's Bakery Cafe - CLOSED

Calhoun's Bakery Cafe
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This place means well, the food is good, but reheated in a microwave, which should make it fast but in my case it took about 20 minutes to get a quiche.

When I asked whether it would be delivered to the table they said no they just call it out. They didn't call it out and it sat there getting cold on the counter. They were out of 3 different things (breakfast wrap at 10:00am (they said they would have more in an hour! a breakfast wrap?) and further unwelcoming, there were computer printed signs everywhere - "WIFI password only after purchase", "Please take your dishes to the other counter, don't leave them here""Please no outside food or drink here".....who manages this place?

If this were a youth hostel, and the food was inexpensive, I guess I'd understand. But the prices are such that you'd actually expect much better service.

On the positive side, the food is good, and the staff are somewhat friendly, and its obviously a popular place to bring your laptop and get work done. The music isn't too loud which is nice.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Think of an overpriced Starbucks with people surfing the internet and acting pretentious and pseudo intellectual. This is what you get from Calhouns. Essentially this place serves coffee, pastries and quick service food. My recommendation is go visit other places once you notice the prices on the menu of Calhouns.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Food is okay. Casual atmosphere great. What is amazing are the hours - 24 hours. I was stuck in Vancouver one December 26 waiting for my son to arrive on a much delayed flight from Europe. Nothing else was open past 8 pm. At Calhoun's I was able to sit, drink tea, have a snack and wait to drive to the Vancouver International Airport. A sanity-saver; airport parking is pricey and waiting there is not so comfortable. Thank you Calhoun's!

Years ago I lived in Kits and had a young child. I always felt we were welcome there.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Seems over-rated. I had the Cheesy Penne.. it was very bland and the noodles were dried out. I also dont like how they microwaved what i ordered.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I love this place for a fast lunch when I need a high speed internet connection. It has lots of great food for lunch and great coffee! Nice service and prices are decent. A panini and coffee was only ten bucks, but small bowl of fruit was over seven bucks.

That all being said I will always use this as my office away from my office when I m on the west side of Vancouver.