“la dolce vita west coast style” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of C Restaurant - CLOSED

C Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: Beach Avenue
London, United Kingdom
“la dolce vita west coast style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic meal at this lovely restaurant in downtown Vancouver. He is born and bred in Vancouver but we now live in London, where we're really quite spoiled for choice. After some very underwhelming dining experiences at supposedly "top" restaurants in my native Toronto, like Bymark, Far Niente and Auberge du Pommier, I wasn't expecting anything beyond average at C Restaurant, especially since they were offering a voucher deal. However, I can honestly say that the everything about the meal -- the setting, the food, and the service -- was truly top-notch and on par with the best European restaurants we have eaten in.

Almost every course of our ten course menu was inventive and interesting and I tasted a whole range of unexpected and delightful flavours that I had never experienced before, which is what a tasting menu is all about. Our waiter steered us to the perfect bottle of wine in our $50 price range and recommended we splurge on the spot prawn supplement, which was fantastic and well worth the $12 upgrade.

Aside from that, the dishes that impressed me the most were the potato and leek soup, which was beautifully presented with a sumptuous little baked potato in the centre of the bowl, topped with crispy bacon bits -- comfort food heaven -- and the seared scallop with braised red cabbage and caramelized apple. I also loved the cucumber sorbet and feta cheese palate cleanser, which is an inventive combination but all the better for it since it was executed perfectly. The cheese course featured a remarkably fragrant saffron gel, another pleasant and totally unexpected surprise.

The only weak dish, and it was pretty lacklustre (heavy, dense and blase -- why not serve something light with BC blueberries matched with Meyer lemons?), was chocolate cake, but at that point I was on course 9 and had had such a fantastic meal that I honestly couldn't have cared less, especially since I had a delicious macaroon to round out my dinner and satisfy my sweet tooth.

What also delighted me about my meal at C Restaurant was that I felt like it was a truly West Coast experience, chilled and casual yet refined for all that. My one final minor quibble is that the hand soap in the ladies loos was quite ordinary and bit harsh and there was no hand cream or proper hand towels, just standard paper towels.

On a final note, I would like to mention that like the previous reviewer, we too had purchased a voucher. Given that, we knew to book well in advance, about two weeks prior to the week when we wanted to dine. When we called, we simply stated that we wanted a booking sometime during our preferred week, quite prepared to dine on a Wednesday considering it was at half the normal price. I am happy to report that the booking person gave us no attitude whatsoever and the first booking he suggested was Friday at 7pm -- perfect!

• Visited March 2013

vancouver
“No integrity! Very bad service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I purchased a groupon for C-Restaurant restaurant for $100 for 10 course dinner. When I phoned to make a reservation I was denied the reservation because I am using a groupon. The person who spoke with me was unbelievably rude and unconsidered. He suggested me to use my promotion only during the week days, when they have spots for it. I spent $100 for this promotion hoping to use it for a special occasion and dine on weekend and not at the times that this restaurant is not busy. Nothing like that was advertised when I purchased the groupon. The guy told me that it was "implied" .
This place is very expensive and supposed to be high end, but they don't have any idea how to speak and accommodate their customers! They do not have integrity to honor their own promotions!

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank skatia
Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
“TRAINWRECK.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Two old girlfriends and I had been planning this dinner out for weeks, as our choice for the dine-out Vancouver event. When the reservation was made, we requested a special table because it was my birthday. It wasn't my birthday, but we really wanted to make this a special seat for a special occasion as two of us hadn't seen each other in 17 years! We arrived separately but on time for 5:30 pm and it was nothing shy of a jaunt to get to our table, it almost felt like there was a prank about to take place as we ducked and weaved through table after table and room after room, up stairs and down them. Finally, the host brings us into what looks like the wine cellar. Crammed with roughly 9 tables, it took the setting of personal, not intimate. I don't like to write reviews that our plagued with complaint after complaint, its a downer and in my opinion takes away from the helpfulness of the review itself. There are 3 things that make me happy in the service/patron aspect of dining whether it be fine dining or Whitespot. A friendly server who pays attention to me and wants to make me happy. Timeliness, not only the server's frequent visits but in which the appetizer's, entree and desert are served. Last but not least, the food of course!

Our "C" server ordered the wrong entree. We had to pour our own champagne. We sat with dirty plates for minimum 15 minutes each portion of the service. We had to ask the bus boy for pepper and water. Three entrees we ordered were the Steel head (two, but they brought sable fish for one instead) and third was the beef tenderloin. The girls didn't want to wait for another plate so they shared each others so they could have at least a little bit of what they actually ordered. My beef was jello'y and cold. I was so disappointed. I don't eat seafood so I was really hoping this would be enough to fill me up. I sent it back and waited for my new plate. After sitting with these dirty plates for another 15 minutes and pouring our own wine from the bottle on the table I was beginning to feel 5 star dining was no different than eating at Mr. Mikes although I am pretty sure they will pour your wine for you. Every time a new group came in to dine in our bunker it was a shuffle shuffle and sit. Disruptive to say the least.
Before our desserts came I couldn't take it anymore. I asked to speak with the manager, I had to ask the host because I hadn't seen our server in since he tried to argue my friend didn't order what she did.

His name was John, and he saved the night. He changed everything. He kneeled down to eye level and listened carefully to everything we said and was genuinely apologetic and understanding . He took care of our entire liquor bill and one entree. For three, 3 course meals, two bottles of bubbly and a drink each it was under a hundred dollars, but that was not what made the difference. It was his genuine care and remorse for the way our night went. He personally served us from that point on and even lit a candle and wrote 'Happy Birthday' on my dessert plate. He offered to have us in VIP in a local lounge if we so choose and offered to call a car. He said that on a regular 80 plate night, they were serving 240 because of Dine-out Vancouver and even though this didn't excuse our experience, it kind of explained why we were sitting in what seemed like the panic room.

If I chose to go back, it would be because of how John took care of us. You know when they have someone like that running a busy high-end restaurant that most of the team will be putting their most gallant effort in, that night for us unfortunately we got a lemon.

1 Thank Briana L
Vancouver, Canada
“Extraordinary view, ok food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had heard great things about `C` which is why I wanted to check it out. I can say this, the view is extraordinary … that was the highlight for us. The hostess was very polite and friendly – our server, not so much. He wasn`t friendly, when asked for recommendations was very short and not at all helpful. The food was fine – but not worth what we paid. Maybe worth a drink on the patio in the summer – but as for a nice dinner, there are a lot better places to check out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Walnut Creek, California
“Surprisingly bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

As a preface, we came here for Dine Out Vancouver.

Very disappointing. The food is boring, bland, and tasteless. I had always heard that C was good, but being a frequent visitor to Blue Water Cafe and Coast, I could never muster the energy to come to C, especially given its 10 - 25% price premium relative to Coast and Blue Water Cafe.

The Albacore Tuna starter was poorly cut and the flavour pairing of pickled cucumber and albacore was not working. To make matters worse, the tuna was cut extremely thin. The main course was steelheard trout in Lobster Emulsion. This was downright terrible. It was tasteless and the fish was cooked poorly. I do not expect to be served fish like this in downtown Vancouver; it suited some place far inland.

I thought I would give them a chance with dine out Vancouver, to see if they deserved full sticker price; they do not. Go to Coast, go to Diva at the Met, go to Blue Water Cafe, go to Hawksworth. Do not come here.

View is good, service is poor, location is not convenient for business.

• 4 of 5 bubbles