“Clearly deserved of its top billing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's

Bishop's
Reserve with OpenTable
Bishop's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 3,498 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: Yew Street
Description: Delicious contemporary local cuisine made with fresh local ingredients. The well prepared dishes and intimate atmosphere will leave you with a dining experience not to be forgotten.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Clearly deserved of its top billing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful food that would hold its own against any fine dining restaurants back at home - London. You were made to feel special on arrival and you were then looked after carefully during the meal. A small venue, a taxi drive away from downtown, but well worth the cab ride fee. The food was packed with flavour. My salmon was expertly complimented by fresh vegetables, fried gniocchi and an ingeniously created curried sauce which provided some tasty subtle undertones to the dish. One of my party had the lamb and was raving about its sauce! My cherry pie dessert was heavenly - the smell of pastry on arrival at the table won me over immediately and the rest just had my mouth watering. The sorbet selection was highly innovative and successful and the deconstructed cheesecake was authentically flavoured and highly indulgent. Overall, we were pleased to see an uncluttered menu offering a good range of food. The plates were packed with flavour and the staff gave an air of upper end dining through their attentive service. Initially we felt that this meal was expensive but if you factor out the ludicrously priced Canadian wines you will find that the food is actually quite reasonably priced! An enjoyable evening and a big thumbs up.

Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious food and very romantic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bishops has been a culinary institution in Vancouver for over 25 years and it shows why it is still at the top of the list.

The food was delicious, from the duck appetizer, to the salmon, all the way to the scrumptious dessert. The service was really good was well, very attentive, kind and informative. We got a visit at the table from John Bishop himself which was nice - he recommended the oysters, which were delicious.

Then place is not big, but it is cozy and very romantic. I would say the better tables are near the back of the restaurant, on the higher level.

Now for the not so excellent points : the white wine I personally tried was not very good, probably one of the worst I have tried in Vancouver. Also, they kept the place unusually cold, and lastly the wait for the food was a tad on the long side, compared to most restaurants i have been to, especially for the desserts - we actually thought they forgot us.

However, overall the place was fantastic! We will surely visit again in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
“Culinary Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The two of us the same mains but the waiter coaxed us to try one of each share brilliant idea. Wonderful shrimp bisque. Haida halibut was done to perfection with the perfect vegs to go. But the best part were deserts chocolate pot and rhubarb shortcake. I will have this on the top of list next time I am in Vancouver.

Visited May 2013
Calgary
“Nice night out, food was fine, service was friendly but a bit forgetful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Four of us had a nice dinner at Bishop's. The cocktails were tasty, the wine selection was good, especially the selection of British Columbian producers (although the selection of vanity French wines was pretentious to the point of silliness). The room was pleasant although a little chilly on the evening of our visit. We chose between lamb and Haida Gwaii Halibut both of which were excellent, and nice starters with tasty freshly baked breads. Our server seemed to forget about us at times, but when he remembered that we were there he did his job well. Over all a nice night out.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank JimBCalgary
Calgary, Canada
“Good Quality Meal and You Will Pay for It.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

After years of coming to Vancouver my wife and I finally tried Bishops to find out what all the fuss has been about. The restaurant is not large and has a warm and classy feel without being stuffy or overly trendy like many other Vancouver restaurants especially in Yaletown. The staff are very friendly in a genuine way and service is exceptional. Be aware the menu is very limited and if you are expecting a decent variety of seafood dishes to choose from you will probably be disappointed. I always thought Bishops was a seafood restaurant but it doesn't really "specialize" in it based on the menu. We had wine and a cocktail which was delicious and for appetizers we tried the beet salad and the duck terrine and both dishes were very good although I thought $16 for some beets and cheese was a little brave. The terrine on the other hand was a great combination of flavours and I enjoyed it. For our entrees we had the halibut and the rack of lamb and both dishes were excellent. My wife said her halibut was one of the best dishes she has had and my lamb had some great flavours that worked well together but to be honest the bacon ragout was the best part of the dish and the lamb was secondary. We also tried a couple desserts and the rhubarb shortcake is a winner. I usually don't care much for anything called a "shortcake" but this dessert impressed me. All in all a great evening for my wife and I and we enjoyed our experience but it didn't knock our socks off. I doubt we'll be hurrying back because I personally don't think the dishes were worth the lofty prices but it was good to get out of Yaletown for a good meal prepared by professionals.

• 3 of 5 stars