“A good to excellent hotel in the self-described boutique category, it would benefit from better staff training.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Loden Hotel

Loden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

I liked best the hotel's location, its peace and quiet, and its able manager. I liked least my wife's encounter with a rude front-desk clerk. The manager, to his great credit, set things to rights.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

Went to the Loden this weekend for a girls weekend away.

Rented a one-bedroom suite and were very pleased with the great living room suite. This allowed us to have enough space to catch up in the privacy of our own room. The bathrooms are great with beautiful showers.

The hotel staff made a great dinner recommendation which we appreciated. While it was a little outside of downtown, they recommended DB Modern Bistro, which provides you with a taxi voucher back to the hotel. This restaurant was a great change of pace and we appreciated the tip about the taxis voucher.

We will come and stay with the Loden again next time us girls meet in Vancouver!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

I stayed at the Loden hotel for the first time last week. When travelling on business, I have always stayed in Vancouver's many 4 star downtown hotels. After reading all the positive reviews, I thought I would try something new.

I found this hotel to be a refreshing change to some of the other more stuffy hotels. With polite and attentive staff to assist you and a warm greeting at check in, I was impressed.

Although you have to pay for internet at the Loden, I was pleased with its speed and how user friendly it was. It made working from the hotel room, which had an amazing view by the way, simple and relaxing.

Because of the rain I did not get to run the sea-wall, but to my surprise, I found out the gym in the hotel was amazing. Too have such square footage and choice of machinery in a hotel facility is impressive.

Hopefully work will send me to Vancouver again soon, as I have found my new home-away-from home at the Loden. I think for business travelers or anyone traveling to Vancouver, this hotel offer something for everyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

Based on the glowing reviews in Tripadvisor, my husband and I chose the Loden Hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. After the wonderful service we received at the Italian Kitchen from our server, we were on cloud nine as we headed to the Loden for a one night stay sans kids.

We entered the lobby after dinner and there was one gentleman ahead of us. As we waited our turn, two other men came out from the elevator area and stood off to the side.

After the gentleman in front was served, the male hotel clerk did not even acknowledge our presence or the fact that we were waiting in line ahead of the two other men and proceeded to assist the two men.

We would not have been insulted if the clerk at the very least acknowledged our presence and asked if it was ok for him to quickly help those two men who had budged in front of us, but he didn't.

To say the least, we were insulted. This stay is our first and absolutely last time at the Loden.

Other points to note:

We agree with other reviews about the bathrooms, the sinks are not well designed, water splashes out everywhere, the decor is very dark, and the air conditioning very annoying and loud.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SouthBurnabyMom
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

Overall our stay at this hotel was very good. The hotel is in a fantastic location, has a very clean and nice rooms, and an attentive staff. There are also nice little touches such as ice delivered to your room, free london cab in downtown area, free bicycles rentals, etc...

There were a few things that could be better.

There were a few hidden-misrepresented prices of certain things. When I made a reservation on the phone one of the gentelman I spoke with highlighted that $15/night parking in downtown was a big benefit of the hotel. I agreed with that, however when arriving at the hotel, I learned parking was $35/night + parking taxes which made it nearly $50/night. A huge difference from what I was told when making the reservation. The second item was the breakfast package. We called down a few times to find out what the package included and never got a straight answer. We specifically asked if we could get the breakfast in the room and what was covered by the package. The answer was anything from the breakfast menu. Well that wasn't quite accurate, only 1 entree + 1 drink was covered. So if you got a side of fruit, or a coffee, those were extra charges. This is very easy to explain, just tell is 1 entree + 1 drink - but somehow the front desk staff wasn't clear on it. It did seem like they were training new front desk staff, so that might be the issue on both these items.

The last complaint I have is although the bed is wonderful, and we slept very well, my wife got itchy due to the sheet configuration. There is a fitted sheet with a down comforter directly on it. There is no top sheet between the comforter and the fitted sheet. As a result if you are sensitive to down feathers, it can get itchy. We were there with friends and they said they had the same problem around feeling a bit itchy in bed.

Although there were a few gripes that I have listed above, I would recommend Loden and probably stay there again. It is one of the nicer hotels in the area and overall our stay was postive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Pedro, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

Another great stay at the Vancouver Loden. General Manager Michael Love leads an excellent team of friendly professional staff, the rooms are comfortable and well equipped, the location is within walking distance of all Vancouver has to offer and the added safety features including key cards required for elevator access make this hotel an excellent choice for single travelers. I will always choose this hotel when staying in Vancouver. Thanks to Stacey the Lead Concierge/Guest Experience Assistant and Marc the Guest Experience Manager.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is a great hotel - modern, conveniently located and with very friendly people. In particular, Sarah helped us a lot with what to do and see, bookings, local restaurants (Coast and The Italian Kitchen), shopping etc. Stacey was also a great help. Complementary local car service and Wi-Fi was also excellent. We highly recommend the hotel. Even if the people change we hope The Loden keep finding such friendly and helpful team members.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple