“Great for families too.”
Review of Loden Hotel

Loden Hotel
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed June 3, 2009

All of the reviews written here are spot on - though I wanted to add that the Loden is a great place to stay for families too. We stayed at the Loden with our 7 month old daughter as part of a wedding event. They set us up with a beautiful crib (we joked that it was nicer than the one we had at home) - complete with a soft blanket and a toy for our little one. The hotel also provided us with a water kettle to help heat her bottles and food, and pointed us to a nearby drug store when we needed to buy her some medicine. The rooms are also big enough to have the crib in it and some room to move around - which often is not the case elsewhere. Staying in a hotel is never easy with a little one, I find, but this was as seamless as we've ever experienced.

The Loden service in general was impeccable - from the front desk (they helped us find a doctor when our daughter got sick), to the valet (always had our car ready quickly), and the restaurant (helped us store some food when it wouldn't fit in our refrigerator). Also had free wifi that was actually fast - didn't think that existed in this day and age. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank walkaboutnyc
There are newer reviews for Loden Hotel

Reviewed June 1, 2009

Loden has really got the best combination of travelers' experiences: great location (close to Stanley park, Robson street, Gastown, Yale town, sea-buses); modern and sleek design; very nice rooms; fantastic service and great restaurant. From the moment we checked in, we felt welcomed and relaxed. I've never written a review for a hotel, but decided to do this for Loden.

The staff should be complimented separately - every person on staff was friendly, eager to help and very attentive to us. The staff were genuinely interested in making our experience enjoyable. Concierge Troy was exceptionally helpful in guiding us through our days and recommending places to visit and the ways how to get there. The restaurant server Michael was also trying to think through and suggest things to do (including his favorite restaurant Salt in Gastown, which was very good).

The rooms have comfortable beds, floor-to-ceiling windows, new bathrooms with separate bath and shower and Molton Brown soaps (yummy!). We could stay all day in this room.

This hotel has hip and young vibe (as compared to some stuffy atmosphere of some older hotels), it's airy and easy-going and we enjoyed it a lot.

1  Thank timosol
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The Loden looks gorgeous and it backs it up with the quality of service. We were lucky to have a room on the 10th floor so good views down to the water. The room (a signature king) was large and furnished nicely. We liked dining at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast. The staff was excellent and the location great. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I have nothing negative to say about this place, it was incredible. It has a young and hip vibe about it with lots of design features. The room was spacious, modern, comfortable. Good tv and ipod dock, nice toiletries and lovely bathroom. The service was exceptional. It was my birthday while there and the staff helped my husband organise a load of surprises, they were really helpful all the time. The bar/restaurant was busy enough to have a vibe but not so busy that you couldn't get a chair. Food and drink all lovely. The hotel has a London taxi that they use to take guests anywhere in downtown Vancouver but you have to book it in advance and it was usually taken when we wanted to use it so don't rely on it. The concierge was knowledgeable and helpful. There are a large number of restaurants about two blocks away. Make sure you ask him for a bike hire voucher and then go cycling round the sea wall in Stanley Park - we enjoyed it so much we did it again a second time.
The spa at the hotel is a treatment room rather than a full on spa but there are other full spas nearby. It is worth getting a taxi over to Granville Island or somewhere near there to eat at one of the waterfront restaurants.

We booked on an offer and ended up paying about £100 a night for a standard king size room - an absolute bargain. I expect the prices will go up once it is more established but I would have been happy to pay more.

Reviewed May 20, 2009

Valet parking upon arrival ($32/night). Room is trendy and high-tech -- floor to ceiling window, "openable" bathroom with separated bath and shower, 42" LCD TV with connection to your laptop or ipod, comfortable king bed, bathrobe, slippers, umbrella provided. Fully-loaded fridge with snacks and drinks ($4/can pop though) and many others. Located 3 blocks away from Robson and Pacific Centre/Holt Renfrew with free ride from the hotel. Free wireless internet. Friendly staff. Recommended for young couples.

Reviewed May 19, 2009

Loden is a small boutique hotel in Coal Harbour, at the north end of downtown Vancouver. The vibe here is luxury and hipness. They get a lot of things right and some things more than right, but their uber-hipness may prove a Pyrrhic victory for them if they don't make some simple changes.

First, the good. The staff were without exception friendly and informative--and more importantly, sincere. There was no practiced obsequiousness--simply a muted yet earnest wish to be of help and a local's knowledge of the city. We enjoyed chatting with them.

One great service the hotel offers is complimentary use of its London taxi within a few blocks or so of the hotel. (We went as far as Yaletown.) It's customary to tip the driver a few loonies, of course. It was lots of fun and a very charming feature. Be advised that the return trip is not part of the service. (I never asked outright, but they never mentioned it when I asked about regular city taxis' availability for the return trip.) You're expected to give them a little notice, naturally.

The modern-yet-subtle rooms were reasonably spacious and quite luxurious, featuring: a marble foyer with a little loveseat nook; a marble bath with separate, glass-enclosed toilet; a desk with all manner of a/v linkages conveniently arrayed in a mini-dashboard on the desk; a large HDTV; two very soft robes; etc. The bed was great. I could not figure out the alarm clock, but it sure looked fancy.

There is free wired Internet in the rooms, with the option to purchase high-speed access for $10/day. The free version was actually not that slow. I didn't stream a movie or anything, but it was only marginally slower than our home cable Internet.

All in all, sleek, gorgeous, tasteful and luxurious. However...

Now for the criticisms:

One problem was the a/c. The thermostat was very responsive, yet when the a/c came on or went off, we heard a loud noise in the vent. In addition, the air from this vent was either very warm or very cold, and even the softest fan setting was very powerful. We never could find a setting where it would come on automatically and softly. Since we were there in May, we just turned the thing off and were fine. So that wasn't much of a problem.

There was, alas, no coffee maker in the room. I've seen this trend in other boutique hotels, and I must say I don't care for it. There is no luxury in having to get dressed and go downstairs for coffee, nor in having to order room service and spend maybe $10 (?) for something that should be free in a hotel. That said, the free coffee in the lobby was from an espresso machine and quite tasty. I would've liked to have slurped joe while watching the news or checking e-mail, though. There was nothing to do in the lobby but listen to Deep Forest or whatever it was they were piping in.

Housekeeping did a great job getting the room spotless, but they didn't leave any extra toilet paper in the bathroom. Probably not their fault; I think this must be in keeping with the hip luxury motif. But I just feel better knowing there's no way I'm going to run out before the next time the maid comes. Management, if you think spare rolls look gauche, then why not put them in a bathroom drawer?

But those are quibbles. The only real problem came on our last night there. The restaurant/bar adjoining the lobby, two floors down, was playing loud, Enigma-esque club music very late (the same Eurobeat stuff playing in the lobby at all times). We decided we'd just ignore it and go to sleep. But it was annoying.

Even worse, however, was that late that night, guests of said bar were hollering in the street outside the hotel. Of course, the hotel can't control guests' behavior per se--but a sign reminding bar patrons to be considerate of the sleeping hotel guests would be in order. Or perhaps the hotel should consider shutting the bar down at 11 pm--less bar profit, but if this keeps up, the hotel's lodging profit will surely decline. Maybe if the bar played some less-hip music at half the volume, they wouldn't attract 20-somethings looking to get rowdy.

It is for this reason alone that I almost gave Loden three stars. Most things about Loden rate five stars--but the ability to sleep through the night uninterrupted has to be there. That night, I felt like Loden cared more about its bargoers than us. Still, Loden is not really average in any way. So I rounded up.

A word on parking: Parking in the hotel (valet only) is $32 Canadian and is on a 24-hour basis from the time you dropped it off and includes in/out access. A bit steep. And very few garages in Vancouver do overnight parking; the only one I found charged $25. However, parking meters on Vancouver's streets are free 8:00 p.m-8:00 a.m.., as long as there is no restriction on any of the street signs. (Look carefully!) Our second night there, we parked on nearby Alberini street overnight and were fine there. So if you drive into the city, try to arrive just before 8 p.m.

Overall, Loden Vancouver has the potential to be an exceptional hotel. It's more than halfway there.

We got a decent deal because it had just opened. I'm sure the rate will rise, but hopefully the problems I mentioned will also be remedied.

TIP:
It's best to avoid driving into Vancouver if you can--public transit there is ubiquitous and safe--but we found renting a car was the only viable option for us to get there from Seattle. There's a ferry, but the schedule is limited until late in May.

3  Thank WashDCMan
Reviewed May 18, 2009

My wife and I chose the Loden after a bit of trip advisor research for our 25th anniversary get away. I have stayed at many of the mainstream Vancouver hotels but thought I would take a gamble on the Loden for something different. It turned out to be a great decision.
The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, and went out of their way to acknowledge our 25th anniversary. Our room (1105) was spotless and appointed very well in a modern boutique theme. We both loved the décor and the quiet of this hotel. We did not get a chance to take in the restaurant but were able to visit the hotel lounge, and the service was fabulous.
The hotel is located in the most beautiful area of one of the worlds most beautiful & clean cities. It is located on a somewhat quiet street within a 2 block walk to Robson Street and the waterfront, where your selection of restaurants and entertainment is almost endless. Vancouver is a very safe & pedestrian friendly city, so this location is ideal for those who like to explore things on foot. You will not require a vehicle to explore Vancouver’s nightlife from the Loden.
The only complaint I had with this hotel was the $31.00/night Valet service. There is a parking garage right next door, so I have no one to blame but myself for this rather pricey service. (I was warned).
While the Hotel is not for those travelling on a tight budget, we would highly recommend the Loden for those who are seeking upscale accommodation.