“Great location, pity about the road noise”

Granville House B&B
Ranked #22 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Chilliwack, Canada
“Great location, pity about the road noise”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We booked this at the last minute which is why we got a downstairs room at the front of the house right by a busy road. The personalised numbers we were sent in advance to open the door to the house and our room were useful but felt impersonal. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was odd, a long trough for the sink with nowhere to put the wash bags. The tiles on the shower seat were cracked and I did not want to sit down. The warning notices about being charged if a guest took the toiletries were a first - as was the $20 sticker on a guide book in the room. The room was not cheap but did include parking and breakfast. The breakfast included great porridge and a choice of herbal tea but no choice on the hot food - a ramekin with an omlette that was not that good. The staff were friendly and helpful with suggestions on what to see and how to get there. The shoes off policy would work better if there were slippers in each room with the robes. The cookies provided on arrival were a nice touch but much better would be milk in the fridge instead of being expected to put coffeemate into tea. All in all a pleasant stay but I would not rate it 5 stars.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the house should be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at this great B&B. The location is great and since parking is so expensive in Vancouver you can take a bus right outside and in 10 minutes you're in the heart of the city. The room was terrific with a great bed, pillows and bed linens which were top of the line. The bathroom was modern and sleek. Breakfast were wholesome and fresh, Shandy and Liku do a great job of running the B&B and were very helpful with ideas on what we should see and do when we were there. About 5 minutes by car there are great restaurants and shops to browse. Vancouver is a great place and if you get a chance go visit Whistler about 2 hours from the city with incredible scenery.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back garden which was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at this B&B with a group of friends as we gathered for a wedding in Vancouver. We all felt that it was good value for the city and our rooms were clean. The beds were large and comfortable. We only met one of the owners once but the staff provided a good service and I particularly appreciated the fact that they understood on the wedding day when we hung around the house all morning. They made extra coffee for us and cleaned the rooms after we had gone which must have messed up their schedule. However we did find it a bit soul less. The shoes off policy was rigidly enforced. We appreciated porridge being available for breakfast but each day were given a different egg dish with no choice, some of which just weren't to our taste. I would echo the comment that this does feel very much like a business run for profit rather than the love of it but would stay here again if we returned to Vancouver as we felt it was good value.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter, the front looks out onto a busy road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We recently took several rooms here for my daughter's wedding.
We were very happy to have a "home away from home" where we could get ready for the wedding and visit with out of town guests too. It was much nicer than running between hotel rooms....very relaxing at a stressful time:-)
I would recommend this beautiful house without hesitation.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The rooms at this B&B were nice, clean, updated and really of a higher standard than most "run of the mill" B&B's. I had 2 rooms (for reasons to be explained shortly) the first was a standard room and had a huge king bed with nice linens, flat screen TV etc. On the other side of the coin, it was at street level and maybe 50 feet from one of the busiest streets in Vancouver and was therefore extremely noisy; further the bathroom wood countertop had paint peeling and seemed out of place; the shower stall had broken tile and didn't drain exceedingly well. The second room was a suite and was outstanding in every respect (though it also faced the busy street, however was less noisy by virtue of being upstairs).

The reason I had 2 different rooms was that I needed 3 nights in succession and there was only availability (at a price point below $150/night) for the first 2 of those nights. The owner graciously suggested I call back Friday and if the remaining suite wasn't yet booked I would get it for the last minute rate of essentially $150/night for that 3rd night - somehow there was some mis-interpretation (which could well have been on my end) as the owner believed he had told me to call Sunday not Friday. In any event I called Friday and explained to his reservation taker what (I believed in good faith) that he had told me and my rate was to be $150 for that 3rd night in the different/upgraded room. She took me at my word and e-mailed me confirmation. Shortly thereafter I had that $150/night rate cancelled and re-booked (without my consent) at the higher suite rate (maybe $250 a night or something) then a few moments later that reservation was cancelled and the owner (Randy) called me and told me he had done me a significant favor by cancelling a rate I had never agreed to in the first place. I was quite taken aback by this approach and Randy and I had quite an unpleasant conversation over definitions of hospitality and graciousness. I was sufficiently "non plussed" I offered to cancel the whole reservation and not stay there on any of the 3 nights. Randy said that was fine but that we were within his no cancellation timeframe (though still greater than 3 days away) and he would be billing me anyhow. Very unusual indeed. At that point with we both endeavored to be more civil towards one another and I asked that they call me Sunday if the suite was available at the last minute rate. Randy's first response was that his help was very busy and it would be better if I called them. I was astounded at the boldness of such a suggestion and refused. Ultimately Randy's wife called me Sunday and (as I was reluctant to move hotels in middle of my stay) and I stayed the 3rd night in the suite for the reduced rate - it was lovely in every respect.

When I arrived the first afternoon, Randy made no effort to graciously acknowledge our tough start to the reservation process and seemed to pretend that all had been good with us - surely seemed strange not to acknowledge and bury it then and there?? In any event the next morning about 7:15 am Randy knocked on my door - this was not to welcome me to breakfast etc., this was for 2 reasons:

1. To make sure I signed all Visa receipts for the 2 different bookings and make sure he had all his paperwork done to ensure he had been paid.
2. To ask that I respect their "shoes off" policy as I had been tapping the floor (with my shoes on) as I worked on my computer (as it was his school age kids room was directly below)

I would never wish to upset school age kids (or any kids), however it was after 7am, and despite there being a sign to "please respect their shoes off policy" I didn't believe it was for folks staying on the first floor as all floors were hardwood or ceramic tile. There is white carpet on the stairs and the second floor (which is fairly curious in its' own right) so for sure I took my shoes off when I moved to that room. Really seemed curious to have been approached at 7:15 am for both these issues.

My past experience (which is fairly comprehensive) with bed and breakfasts is that the owners are interested in you, your life, perhaps offer you a beer/glass of wine and essentially "welcome you in from the road". I never saw Randy after the morning "incident" and only saw his wife the first evening. I didn't get up hugely early (had breakfast each day between 7am and 7:15 am) yet each day the newspaper hadn't been brought in off the porch, coffee wasn't yet percolating etc. I had thought most people choose to be "innkeepers" for the human contact first and economic benefit second - this was not my experience here - it was most assuredly for the economic benefit and I regret to state that I did not benefit from any hospitality whatsoever and will not be staying there again - I hope your experience is considerably different than mine

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark O
GranvilleBB, Owner at Granville House B&B, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thank you Mark O for your comments that we are "nice, clean, updated and really of higher standard than most run-of-the-mill B&B's".

I would like to point out to our readers that you and I had a very awkward exchange at booking, which I believe is the basis for your negative comments. When you called our toll-free number looking for a deal, I explained we currently offered a 15% discount for 2 night stays, 4th Night Free and a Pay 5 Stay 7 as per our website promotions page. Your budget was under $150/night, which fit our Junior Suite 2 night promotion, but that room was not available for your 3rd night. The only suite we had available for your 3rd night was our Cedar Master Suite, which did not meet your budget. I explained we sometimes offer a STAY TODAY discount 4 DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, again quoted from our website promotions page. You called 10 days prior and told my staff that I authorized the Stay Today discount for you. My staff took the booking information and contacted me. I called you same day toll free to say the Stay Today discount "may be available 4 days prior to arrival", just as discussed, and that this is automatically triggered by our booking program, not by our staff. We agreed to cancel this booking with no fee, and my wife contacted you 4 days prior to remind you of the Stay Today discount, which you booked.

I greeted you in the parking lot when you arrived, and as I was with other guests at the time, I did not feel it was appropriate to bring up our booking misunderstanding. I offered to help with your luggage, and suggested an outside area for you to exercise and skip rope.

When I talked to you at 7am the first morning, it was to offer you our hot entree (which we normally bring out at 8:30am), and to offer you a coffee, as we knew you were up early. While speaking with you, I noticed your signed Check-In Receipt on your Elm Suite office desk and asked if it was OK to get our copy. Unlike a hotel, motel or other B&Bs, we allow our guests to check in anytime after 4pm with personalized time-sensitive door codes. We only ask guests to sign & return our Check-In Receipts before breakfast, which we feel if more relaxing and trusting than our competition.

Your negative comments regarding our Shoes-Off policy is not our first, and I suspect will not be our last. In all fairness you did give us 4/5 on cleanliness, which has a lot to do with this policy. Although this policy is partially driven by our white wool carpets upstairs, we also have wood floors in your main floor Elm Suite and breakfast area which can transmit noise and disturb other guests while walking (or tapping of feet ; -).

I appreciate that you would like a glass of beer/wine with me. Truth is, I would love to have a beer or wine with you too, but that would unfortunately jeopardize our B&B license.

You scored us low on Value & Service. Regarding value, all our rooms come with free on-site parking, king bed, en-suite bathroom, 32" LCD TV, free cable vision, Wi-Fi, iPod clock radio, coffee/tea service, free local and long distance calling, and a breakfast buffet available from 5am to 11am. As for service, we did personally call you with our Stay Today rate, greet you when you arrived, offer you a baked entree an hour and a half prior to schedule and kept a staff of 5 during your stay.

As I tell my wife, "you can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be someone who hates peaches."
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

We visited with our 2 young children in early April. The room was lovely - a sitting room that doubled as a second bedroom and a main bedroom with ensuite bathroom.

Unfortunately we had booked through an agency which had neglected to mention the children, and although Randy was very happy for us to stay, he suggested we could stay in his other property which included a full kitchen. Both properties were great - and Randy did a great job of making us feel at home. Overall we stayed for nearly 2 weeks between the two properties.

This is a beautiful house, and Randy and Shandy Rae do a great job of looking after their guests.

Stayed April 2012
Port Moody, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We enjoyed our stay during Grey Cup week. The location was awesome, we even managed to walk to Oakridge Mall from our B&B.
The morning breakfast were very nutritional.
Looking to our next booking.
Thanks Pam & Randy