Hotel BLU
The Burrard(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$233
$217
Agoda.com
Comfort Inn Downtown(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$273
$526
$427
Travelocity
1,690 results
All reviewssamsung tabletloft suitegreat locationbc placenespresso machinerogers arenamodern hotelwithin walking distancedowntown vancouverbreakfast buffetrobson streetrain showerfront desk staffhot tubamazing hotelcomfortable bedsmini fridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on business after being captivated by the tag line on their website, "Where luxury and technology meet sustainability."

The rooms are very well appointed in all three ways:

Luxury: A robe and slippers presented themselves when I walked in, nicely laid out on the bed and begging me to relax. The furniture is beautiful with leaf motifs a common theme. The rain shower head was relaxing after long days of meetings, and the espresso machine helped make waking up a breeze! I didn't have a chance to enjoy the pool, hot tub or sauna, but they looked inviting! The breakfast was decadent for a buffet. Smoothies (including a green one), eggs benny, cereals, fruit, eggs, bacon, all very well presented and delicious.

Technology: As a frequent business traveller I'm often frustrated by the lack of outlets and those that do exist are hard to get to. My room had plenty of intelligently placed outlets, as well as USB ports. The Samsung tablet was a nice touch (although I travel with my iPad). The fitness centre is equipped with brand new equipment.

Sustainability: As a sustainability professional I notice "greenwashers" who say that they are green but don't deliver. This hotel has done an excellent job in several ways. Instead of cheap plastic water bottles in the rooms, they provide guests with a lovely glass bottle and stopper, with access to filtered water on each floor (I just filled mine up at the tap). There is a master switch near the door that allows you to turn off all of the lights at once when you leave. The amenities are in classy dispensers it the shower and included a green seal that I didn't recognize, but am trusting is credible. The lights in the halls and common areas are all energy efficient (I didn't check the lamps in the rooms).

Overall, while there were a few little service glitches due to the newness of the property, which were instantly remedied when I brought them to the attention of staff, I would highly recommend this property and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Angela N
GMHotelBLU, Manager at Hotel BLU, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Angela N,

Thank you for staying at the Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We take our tagline "Where luxury and technology meet sustainability" very seriously. It is our intention to provide the utmost highest level of quality and service whilst still cognizant of the impact it has on our environment. Here are Hotel BLU, we know we are responsible to our guests, and also responsible to our environment. And yes, the light bulbs in the rooms are all energy efficient :)

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Obviously, everything is brand new and so that's nice. It feels as though this was designed by an architect who's never done a hotel before. We stayed in in an Executive Loft King Suite with Terrace, so the review is relevant to that room style.

Fire alarm went off at 12:55am and 1:12 am…

Front desk staff fairly clueless. Made no mention of complimentary bikes so we paid to rent our own. Told the GM who didn't seem to care.

No Furniture on the nicely sized terrace that overlooked a service garage rollup door. don't understand why your most expensive rooms have the worst/non-existant views.

The bathroom door opens directly into the very tight entryway, which shares the closet and needs to be closed in order to enter the space.

It is extremely difficult to reach the shower fixtures around the non-movable glass partition-if you don't have long arms you may slip and fall.

The toilet was strangely located about 18" from the sink, when there was plenty of room to center in the bathroom-felt very weird.

A tiny TV afterthought stuffed under the stairway- too small given the distance to the chairs/ overly hard as a board sofa.

The room was very soundproofed and you didn't hear people going in/out of the pool/breakfast room/business center strangely located all on this floor. Absolutely no security preventing outsiders from entering your hallway either by walking up the stairs and thru the unlocked door or via the shared residence elevator-whichhad a family loading Costco supplies into the bank while we tried to get to our room.

Breakfast is quite good and the staff in the breakfast room kept everything in the place tidy.

wifi access is very good and complimentary.

The hotel feels like a corporate hotel, not a boutique property.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear vlad p,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

I was disappointed to learn you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay and wanted to personally respond to some of your concerns.

With regards to the fire alarms; unfortunately we did have an incident on the night you stayed with us which caused our fire alarms to go off. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. We take our guest safety very seriously and treat all potentially emergency situations with the utmost attention. I personally arrived on site that night to ensure all appropriate measures were taken. Whilst these things are unfortunately out of our control, I understand how absolutely inconvenient the event was for you and for our other guests. We were pleased to provide all our guests a complimentary hot breakfast in our Azure Lounge the next morning as our way of saying thank you for your patience and understanding. If you did not receive your voucher and apology letter, or if you wish to discuss the matter further, I encourage you to get in touch with me directly at neilin@mayfairhotels.ca and I would be pleased to discuss the matter further with you.

With regards to the layout of the bathroom; when the hotel was designed, the City of Vancouver had implemented several policies to ensure public spaces were designed to accommodate individuals and guests with all levels of accessibility. The bathroom door swinging outward and the fixtures close to each other in order to provide a large open space in the middle of the bathroom were requirements. Hotel BLU was happy to oblige with the requirements even though they made the bathrooms awkward as we have found many guests with accessibility concerns have appreciated the design. My sincere apologies the design did not work for you.

My apologies again that you did not enjoy the view from your patio. The intention of the patios was to create a small garden retreat in the middle of a very urban location. A small "hideaway" from the hustle of downtown, if you will. Our landscape architects very carefully created green spaces to create this feeling.

Should you choose to stay with us again, and I sincerely hope you do, may I suggest room 332. This room has a walk in shower making the fixtures easier to reach, the toilet is across the shower rather than beside it and although it still has a patio, with the room being located of the corner of the building, it provides a beautiful view of BC Place. It is a suite room so you will still have the separate living room, although it is not a two-story loft.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and I hope we are able to welcome you again in the near future.

Neilin Dhanji
Director and VP of Operations

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We were the second guests at this hotel, so some things still needed a bit of polishing, but I am sure that everything will be finalised soon and this hotel will be one of the top in Vancouver.
The rooms are nicely decorated, spotless clean and the room service comes twice a day to keep it that way. The rooms are also well equipped- with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, iron board, Samsung tablet and a lot of storage space. (Perhaps one suggestion for management, if you decided to go for the microwave, two plates and cutlery could be useful as well, but they are definitely not a must.) Robes, slippers, umbrella, wine and chocolates were a nice touch too. The whole package provided a perfect experience of luxury.
All the people at the reception were really friendly and polite. They were a bit lost when we asked for directions and travel related advise, but tried to be as helpful as possible.
The hotel has great location - close to everything in the city centre (downtown), but also to the southern parts of Vancouver. The hotel also provides free bicycles, so you can really reach everywhere without a need to rent a car. Besides, cycling in Vancouver along the coast is amazing.
I definitely recommend this hotel. You will love it and if you dont, the staff will do everything to solve the problems. Also based on the responses to the reviews, you can rarely see management so open to suggestions and working so hard to please the customers.

1  Thank Martina65423

Dear Martina65423,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! We are so glad you enjoyed all the extra touches. Here at Hotel BLU, we try to not only meet, but exceed the expectations of all our guests. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the plates and cutlery. We have ensured to make those amenities, commonly forgotten toiletries and also laundry detergent for our complimentary machines available for our guests at the front desk.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed 2nights in June for the Michael Buble concert. The staff were very friendly & attentive. The location is perfect for concerts, sport events & shopping. There are good restaurants within walking distance. The Hotel had opened only a few weeks prior so still had a few things to work out but service was exceptional & the room was very comfortable! would most definitely stay again & would recommend

1  Thank debbie k

Dear debbie k,

Thank you for staying at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We were thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, our location makes us ideal for concert and sports enthusiasts! We are also very close to all the major theatres, shopping and dining.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in June and I absolutely loved it!. We had a loft, with the bathroom and living space at the bottom, and the bedroom upstairs. It was the coolest hotel room I've even been in. The rooms have a microwave and a mini-fridge and Nespresso machine.
THE BEST BED I have ever slept in, too!!!
A very nice plus is the fact that the hotel offers free bicycles, so you can explore the city the way you should!!
And the service....it's just excellent! Very friendly and responsive. They do what they can to welcome you.
Very honestly, I was sad to leave.
Hotel BLU, I will be back!

1  Thank Claudio S

Dear Claudio S,

Thank you so much for staying at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The loft rooms are definitely one of my favourite rooms. I love the airiness the two-storey space provides. It is always nice to have a sitting area separate from the bedroom. Many of our corporate guests appreciate they can have a business meeting downstairs without having to be in the bedroom. The patios in those rooms are great too!