“Superb gift”

Absolute Spa at Hotel Vancouver
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had a complete facial. Very well done. Competent beauticians with a lot of attention to details. Atmosphere is great.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

i go there all the time because it is literally steps from where i work...so i can step to work with my toenails just done. it is a relaxing and soothing environment. all the people who work here are great at their jobs.

2  Thank justchillin041
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I recently took my fiance for a relaxing day at the spa for our one year engagement anniversary. From the moment we walked in I really felt welcome and relaxed.

The spa is very simple in decor, but my fiance enjoyed that and the staff mentioned to us it was their concept men's spa - hence the tones and decor.

Our technicians were unbelieveable and it really helped relax us during the wedding planning time!

I will absolutely have another visit after the wedding!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I decided to treat myself to a spa day for Christmas. I wanted to book with Spa Utopia but was unable to do so in the week before (silly me for leaving it to the week before to book a half-day at the spa at Christmastime, I know). I read mainly positive reviews about Absolute Spa and so booked the 4-hour Absolute Woman spa package (massage, facial, mani, pedi) for $340. RMT was $10 extra. The customer rep suggested to come early to use hotel facilities. She said there would be a snack after my spa services.

On my spa day (yay!), I walked in and was greeted after a few minutes (even though there were 3 staff up front). The hotel is old school fantastic. So it was a pleasant surprise when I walked in to the spa. It was the men's concept spa. It was dark, sleek, modern and absolute-ly beautiful. I did the required paperwork and waited >10 mins for someone to bring me my robe and walk me to the changeroom. I was originally >30 mins early but most of it was wasted on waiting. I was hoping to use the steam room but there was no time. Didn't matter anyways, because no one showed me any of the amenities (steam room, hotel whirlpool, etc). The woman who took me to the changeroom told me there was a waiting room "over there" and waved her hand in the general direction. She was polite and friendly otherwise. I changed and put my clothes in the metal locker. I went to the lounge area and waited for quite a while before my masseuse came to get me. While I waited I had some citrus water and some darn good hot herbal tea. The lounge area was spacious but sparsely furnished (and not in a good way because initially, there wasn't an available spot for me to sit on a sofa). There was a kitchenette area with tables and chairs. Then there were a couple of sofas and arm chairs. There were several papers and magazines, though, to read.

My RMT apologized for being late. We walked for a bit to the room. (That place is bigger than it looks!) "My" room was not pretty but the massage table was luxurious. There was relaxing music piping through the speakers (though the music sporadically stopped). The massage, however, was spectacular! I was VERY impressed. My masseuse was friendly, knowledgeable and respectful. She knew when to chat me up and when to tone it down. She was worth every single penny (including the extra $10).

My facialist came to pick me up afterwards. I walked through the maze, through the lobby (in my robe) and then to the room. It was dark so I couldn't see it very well. But from what I could see, it was the same as the massage room. My "bed" was luxurious and warm (which is most important). The facialist was the woman who walked me to the changeroom. She was a very bubbly and warm person. But she had really bad breath and told me her entire life story. [When people find out that I work in mental health & addictions, they seem to think that I want to hear their entire life stories and/or want me to diagnose them or their wayward family.] I don't mind it when my service providers give me info about their lives. However, there's a point when it is either too much information or just too much talking. My spa day was about relaxation for me... Anyways, the facialist was very gentle and caring in her touch. But she said my skin was very clean and did not do a lot of extractions. (I guess my facial cleanser is doing its job but extractions are the main reason I get facials.) She did do the steam, and a seaweed wrap and a scrub and other nice things. She walked me to my mani-pedi station and said "You must be hungry". I said "Yes". She said that my mani-pedi person would give me snack.

I waited another 15 minutes until my mani-pedi person came. The mani-pedi station is in an open area, just off of the initial spa entrance. The receptionist had a raucously dry cough (& was coughing throughout the mani-pedi). My mani-pedi person did not have my snack with her (it was now almost 19:00 so I was pretty hungry. This also meant that the facialist, who was also a supervisor, didn't communicate it to her.). She was a lovely woman - friendly, respectful and gentle. My pedi was nothing fancy - the water was tepid and the massage was short and too soft. (I could get a way better pedi at my local cheap salon for half the price.) So of course with the mani being last, there was a concern of ruining the nailpolish. She did the massage and the scrub and the cuticle cutting. She then asked if I wanted to pay first and perhaps get redressed before she applied nailpolish. I then realized I wouldn't have time to take a long hot shower after (this is one of my fave things to do at a spa). I asked if it would be okay to take a quick shower, to which she answered "yes" (of course). When I came out, the manicurist still didn't have my snack. But she did a great job on my nails. Again, the manicure was nothing special and it took WAY too long. The coughing receptionist went into the bathroom to vomit twice in this period. The mani-pedi woman though was very thorough and caring.

I didn't end up leaving until after 20:30, though my scheduled time was supposed to end at 20:00. It was a good thing I didn't bring my car (with meter parking, I could only do 2 hours cash then 2 hours of pay-by-phone, which would've meant an hour without paying for parking downtown). The staff were obviously in a rush to close up and get out (which i don't blame them for!) so I was uncomfortable staying in the lounge area waiting for my polish to dry (as per my mani-pedi person). I was incredibly hungry so I scarfed the mini plastic container of yogurt, and the cold store-bought banana bread. But for the price, the snack was disappointing.

I also realized a couple days later that I did not get my RMT receipt to submit to my insurance company. I phoned Ab Spa to ask them about it and the receptionist asked if I could pick it up. I said "no but could you please mail it". It took 2 weeks to get to me.

I put in a lot of details, because this is what I like to read in consumer reviews. I tried to break up the services into paragraphs, though, to make it more reader-friendly.

Overall, my first experience at Absolute Spa was poor. It will be my last paid experience at Absolute Spa. This is the first time that I spent so much time and money in one spa day (with tax and tip, it was well over $400) and I was really disappointed. But the services were not stellar. (I've had better facials and mani-pedis at Sets at Metropolis.) Some of it is my fault: I booked late (and the phone rep said she would have to rearrange the services, out of sequence) and I wasn't assertive. It was a miserably cold rainy day outside, and it was 3 days after Christmas. The positives: My massage was extraordinary and the staff were very kind and respectful. Had I known about all of this, I would have waited a couple weeks to book at Spa Utopia.

7  Thank Vanc0uverght
Reviewed March 14, 2012

If you are looking for a full service Spa - check out "Absolute". When you purchase a package you can use it anywhere, including out at the airport which is so nice if you have a few minutes to have a shoulder/back massage.
The Spa at the Hotel Vancouver is full service, from getting your haircut to a swim in the hotel pool before your appointment.
The staff are very professional and will take good care of you.
They sell gift certificates and that's what got me going to this Spa.