“Good family fun”
Review of Playland

Playland
Ranked #92 of 351 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Playland is part of the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) fairgrounds in Vancouver and is BC’s most famous amusement park. Playland features exhilarating rides and attractions for all ages, exciting midway games, mini-golf, a climbing wall, haunted mansion and a variety of delicious food. Playland offers over 35 rides and attractions, including four exciting roller coasters. One of the most loved and talked about attractions at Playland is the historic Wooden Roller Coaster. This spectacular coaster has been operating at the park since 1958 and is cited as a “Coaster Classic” by the American Coaster Enthusiasts organization, which is an honour shared by only 22 other wooden coasters in the world. For the more adventurous visitors, Playland offers 15 extreme rides and attractions including the extreme swing ride Atmosfear, which takes you up 218 feet while spinning 70km/hour and The Beast, cited as Canada’s most extreme pendulum ride. For those looking to experience a bit of thrill with the entire family, Playland features 17 family and kids rides including three new family rides for 2016, a spinning coaster, Bug Whirled, a peddle operated ride, Flutterbye and a tower, Dizzy Drop. For those hoping to capture amazing views of Vancouver, the Westcoast Wheel ferris wheel will provide just that! Of course, a visit to Playland is not complete without a ride on the historic Wooden Roller Coaster. Unique to Playland is Kids Playce, an area designated for parents and families with children between the ages of 2-10. Kids Playce provides the perfect setting for families looking to spend some time together in a clean, safe and kid-friendly environment. Bring your friends and family out to Playland for a full day of fun! Playland is open from May 6 to September 17.
Vancouver Island, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good family fun”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent about 5 hours at the park on a Friday - got there early and left when it started to get hot and the line-ups started getting long. Hardly any waits for rides up til then, and our family got to repeat some of our favourite rides, several times for a few! Several games and food stalls were closed in preperation for the PNE, but all else was good :)

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Underwhelming.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

First time at Playland. Some of the rides were closed, such as the Corkscrew Rollercoaster and Hell's Gate. Not sure if they were under maintenance? But no one told us that when paying admission, and those were the two rides I was most excited about. We got in at 3:40pm and left at closing time (7pm on a Tuesday). Took advantage of the Beat radio station's coupons that they were handing out at the right of the entrance gates. $9.45 plus tax. They only hand out those coupons from 2pm to 6pm on Tuesdays, and only certain dates. Check Playland's website under "promotions" and you will see the two offers currently on, both by radio stations.
In the time we were there (3 hrs 20 min) we rode 8 rides, and ate mini donuts while standing in line. Meaning, when not on a ride we were standing in line for one. :) I rode the old wooden rollercoaster and came away feeling like I had been in a car accident. So, I think you either love or hate that one. Would have liked to try Atmosfear but the lineup was pretty long and after we spent 45 min in line for the log ride we tried to chose rides with shorter lineups. It seemed to get busier around 5:30pm. Looking around though, it's geared mostly towards small children. Lots of appropriate rides and play areas, games, etc.
Also - annoying habit you should watch out for: teens/pre-teens will see their friends in a lineup and just skip forward to them and say "I'm with them." wtf. And then, not even sit with them when they get on the ride! I called two girls out on this after waiting for 30 min in line and never seeing them until we were the next group being let on the ride, and they were all, 'we're with these guys." When I said we'd been waiting a really long time (um, and never saw the two of you here) one girl said, "oh, you can go ahead of us." Dang straight, we did. So, that's a really bad habit at this place. Also, some ride attendants did a poor job of making sure all the seats were full on the rides when it was so busy. For example, letting two people take the place of 5 seats (on the Pirate Ship).
Overall, great for the price we paid but I would be sorely disappointed if I paid full admission (around $30) for the available rides.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank kinx81
Abbotsford, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Was thoroughly impressed!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went here on a Tuesday for The Beat radio stations deal of $9.95 deal for admission and rides from 2-6pm! Was the PERFECT amount of time needed, the cost made the day totally affordable and enjoyable! The only crappy part was the lack of organization from the staff in making sure people didn't cut in line to get in, Or organize where the LINe should have been going in direction! Was very frustrating and annoying :( BUT wasn't overly busy, lineups for rides were average , sometimes barely existent! All around great deal!

1 Thank PandaHugs
Penticton
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A little under-whelming”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I realize that as a 30-year-old woman, I'm not exactly playland's target customer. I first used the restroom before the park had been open an hour and it REEKED of urine. If not for the wooden roller coaster (the oldest in Canada), this place would be very run-of-the-mill. I know that rides like Hell's Gate and the Pirate Ship exist elsewhere, and when I've ridden their counterparts in the past (at the west Edmonton mall and Canada's Wonderland, respectively) they weren't nearly as tame. I kept watching all day for the pirate ship to make a complete circle but it never did. My friend and I were the only ones on Hell's Gate and it was very underwhelming. It's possible I'm just a cheap country girl, but $30 seemed a little high for what we got.

1 Thank Arwen S
Abbotsford, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tons of fun”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went to kick-start a bachelorette party and it was a blast. Tons of rides to choose from so there's something for everyone from kiddos to fraidy-cats to thrill seekers. Super close to the sky train, and also easy to get to via car. Unfortunately, not much to choose from food-wise until the PNE portion opens up...not even hot dogs, fries, or corn dogs. Just mini doughnuts, or, if you're really hungry you can way overpay at the Triple O's within the grounds. Closes very early as well (6:00 pm), so be sure to get there early so you get in all your fun. Worth the $30. Buy your ticket at Safeway, Save-on, or 7/11 to save on admission

1 Thank JayGirl_L