“Colorful location and great alternative to typical hotel room stay”

La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #59 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, WA
“Colorful location and great alternative to typical hotel room stay”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

This property is rated 5 stars on sites like Hotwire and Expedia, due largely to services and amenities avail thru adjoining Sutton Place Hotel (e.g. pool, spa, room service, valet, concierge etc) . I'd say the condos themselves are more accurately 3.5 to 4-stars, but the location --and overall enjoyability of staying here -- is about a 36 (depending on what rate you get of course!)

While condo furnishings, fixtures, bedding and appointments were all top-notch (and well represented in pix on LGR website), the age/condition of the building, lack of sexy bathroom -- spotless but basic -- and inability to cool the bedrooms to same comfort level of rest of condo in warm weather offset things a little. (No central A/C, portable units venting to patios cool main living spaces but not quite to bedroom even w/ doors open). Something to consider If your stay will be made or broken by a good night's sleep. Windows are operable but surprisingly not much breeze enters and tradeoff is street noise.

IGA Supermarket is immediately next door, and for coffee lovers who are over Starbucks try the little European hole-in-the-wall just on the other (north) side of the hotel for lattes and great baked goods. Urban Fare, Canada's version of Whole Foods, also has a good breakfast options, coffee, baked goods etc a couple of blocks away on Alberni street (the doormen will direct you.) My only disappointment was no time to try JapDogs -- we were amazed at the lineup in front of the hotel morning, noon and night!

If you have extra time to try something off the beaten path, we enjoyed www.greenheartcanopywalkway.com at UBC's Botanical Gardens...

Minor disclaimer: If you book on Hotwire as we did, an outrageous value, you're likely to get only a Queen bed and no stainless steel in the kitchen, if you care.

I would definitely return at the rate we got, but would take along some Tylenol PM...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank SeattleSunSeeker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York, NY
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My bf and I stayed here for a week and a half for a romantic getaway. We got a really cheap travel package and got a great deal on a one bedroom suite here, as we really wanted to have a kitchen. We were so surprised when we checked-in: we had been upgraded to a two bedroom, 1.5 bath. The living room felt spacious and we enjoyed the big screen TV and DVD player, the kitchen was bigger than my apartment's kitchen at home and had a minimal but handy collection of pots, pans, and utencils. Not enough to make a 4-course meal, but definitely came in handy for breakfasts and lunches. I'm pretty neat, and, unlike the below poster, I did not find anything to be filthy. Far from it. The bed and furniture were very comfortable and the bathrooms were fine. No one put towels in our bedroom - the little half bath was perfect for me to do my makeup in.

The staff was very friendy. The wi-fi was weak, so I just used my ethernet cord. I hate paying for internet though. By now, it should just be a given. Parking was also rather expensive. My biggest complaint was some credit card issues, as the hotel could not use my debit card as a credit card for incidentals until it came time to pay up at checkout. Caused a very minor inconvencience. The location was so convenient, right in the heart of downtown, plenty of late night grocery stores and restaurants and an easy walk to Robson street. Plus, as it's part of The Sutton Hotel... Japadog stand is right in front. That's enough to give the hotel four stars on it's own. Could've eaten there every day. (We nearly did.)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I recognized this hotel on Hotwire (5* condo) and decided to book it at the great rate of $90 USD for a weekend stay.

It is a part of the Sutton Place Hotel and uses the same check-in and amenities as the rest of the Sutton Place. There is no separate sign for La Grande, although you do have the option to use the side entrance to go directly to La Grande when going to your room.

Our one bedroom suite was spacious compared to a regular hotel room, and we had a separate living room and bedroom as well as a full kitchen. The living room included a large flat screen TV, DVD player, and surround sound.

Service was very good, and we had no complaints. We had full maid service, including turn-down service.

We also had access to all of the facilities of the Sutton Place, including a large fitness center and nice indoor pool.

Celebrities tend to stay at La Grande when filming movies in Vancouver, and we saw a few in the elevators.

The location is great and within walking distance of many of the attractions in Vancouver.

We had breakfast at a place right around the corner on Robson Street called Cafe Crepe. It was good and inexpensive. There are many restaurants and shops along Robson Street, which is very close to the hotel.

We also did the Vancouver Trolley tour, which has a courtesy stop at the hotel.

On the negative side, the decor is modern, but the building is an older one. Also, the hotel charges for high speed internet access.

Overall, we had a good stay and enjoyed this hotel.

• Liked — location, spacious suites
  • Disliked — charge for internet access
  • Stayed January 2009
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 25, 2008

I was a little surprised to see so few reviews written for this property (only two), but after looking around for a place to stay with my family for Christmas weekend, we decided to risk it and are glad we did.

The La Grande Residence is a old Condo building next to the Sutton Place Hotel which they have purchased and use for longer term stays. The location is great, right off of Robson Street which is smack in the middle of downtown. The nice thing is that you get use of the pool and all of the other amenities of the hotel and yet get to have more space than your average hotel room.

We had a two bedroom unit with one and a half baths (the half being off the master King bed suite). There is a full, but small kitchen, complete with pot/pan, dishes, oven, full sized fridge and dishwasher. This was great for cooking meals at "home" rather than needing to eat out every meal. There is also a grocery store just across the street.

The rooms are not huge but don't feel small by any hotel standards. It is also nice to have a living room with large flat screen TV, sofa bed, and a dinning table for four. There is a small balcony which we didn't use since it was snowing. The unit, since it use to be a condo also has more than enough closet space. The furniture and decor were nice. Not five star by any means, but nothing seemed over worn and we felt like we could relax in the room for the night without feeling trapped in a hotel room.

The service seemed great. We had a quick check in and the doormen always were very polite with smiles on their faces.

The central location made it an easy walk to anywhere in downtown. It was about a 30 minute walk to Stanley Park and even shorter down to the area were the new Olympic Park is starting to be built.

Anyone traveling with more that two people or looking for more than just your standard hotel room, I would recommend you check out this place. It is nice to have the extra space, especially if it is in the winter months when it is cold and gets dark early.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Matt H
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed here with our two toddlers in a two bedroom unit. I rely faithfully on Tripadvisor but unfortunately there was nothing written when I booked. Our unit was absolutely filthy (the kitchen sink sponge had dirt and food and hair crusted into it; the cabinets had food and dirt stuck to them, the carpets and upholstery were visibly dirty and so greasy and disgusting to touch we could not walk without shoes or sit without putting a sheet over the furniture), the switch plates and some baseboards were broken, the walls in dire need of paint or at least a good hosing down. The bathroom was so small that housekeeping puts the towels in the bedroom as there is neither enough rack or counter space to keep them in the bathroom, the furniture was mismatched and really tacky, the air conditioner and open electrical panel is in the walk in closet (really just a utility closet with two wire racks to hang clothes) and it is so loud that we couldn't stand to have it on while we were in the room, nevermind on the balcony where the exterior portion of the unit sits . We unfortunately had to put our kids down for a nap immediately and could not request another room right away. As soon as possible I went to the front desk and described the room to the clerk; I told her that I assumed this room was an aberration that simply had not been updated when the rest of the hotel was built or renovated. She assured me that all the rooms were identical except that if I wanted I could pay to upgrade to a 2 bedroom penthouse unit. A really nice bellman took me up, and I have to say that it wasn't much better. The appliances were stainless steel and overall the unit had less dirt but I would never describe it as clean. I told him I'd talk it over with my husband, and while doing so I received a call from the front desk manager who said she'd been told about my concerns and we accepted her offer to upgrade us to the penthouse unit free of charge. I have to say this was extremely good service as I'd never even asked to speak with management. At 1:00 a.m. there was a huge crowd of people yelling and smoking in the hallway for so long we finally called the front desk, and we were told that we were not the first people to call and complain and they would have security attend. A while later security showed up and asked them to quiet down a bit, but the crowd noise and smoke continued in the hall until we phoned a second and third time. In all, we lost about 2 hours sleep and our children were half scared out of their minds. The hotel dealt with this very, very poorly.

• Liked — Central location, mostly good experiences with staff
  • Disliked — Dirty, outdated
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Cindy12388
Orange County, CA
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Stayed one week in a deluxe 2-bedroom at La Grande Residence (with extra sofa bed which is very decent). Clean, nice bed/bedding (it was actually to hot in the room to sleep in the luxurious quilt), good kitchen but not for cooking. Why was there only one bath? Daily housekeeping and turndown service. Towels could be newer and fluffier. Wi-fi never worked for us. Great location downtown (expensive but expansive supermarket next door). Staff nice. Even have a recycling bin in the room but not sure they actually recycle what we put in there. Nice selection of magazines to help you decide what to do in Vancouver.

$26 for overnight parking.

Requested late checkout as flight was leaving a bit later and we were traveling with 2 young children and car seats and stroller but it was denied. No biggie, they stored our luggage.

We didn't try the swimming pool but went to have a look, strange stairs going down to the pool and the place didn't seem well-lit. The spa seemed to offer lots but it is on the expensive side. Gym looked busy.

Went to the Fleuri restaurant for 1) the Chocolate Buffet (CA$26 pp), nice but not spectacular (being French, I know good pastry) and 2) Brunch (CA$37 pp), we had to rush to get food before it was taken out and the waitress only told us so 10 minutes beforehand so avoid when they offer you the 1pm seating. They do high tea too.

Amazing celebrities spotting place...

I would recommend this hotel, I find it actually quite cheap for its reputation.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business