La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #57 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I just recently stayed here for three nights (Nov.16-19th, 2012) with my 2 daughters and baby grandson. It was a great room and lots of space for all of us. The staff there were very pleasant to deal with and the location was wonderful.It was a beautiful hotel!

Room Tip: I was actually going to book on line but I went straight to the hotel and got the best deal!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Navid S, Manager at La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to learn that you had a nice experience at our hotel. It gives me great pleasure to share your compliments with my colleagues. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest soon. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have stayed at the Sutton Place over the last 20 plus years. We booked 3 nights with my daughter and her husband over the Thanks giving holiday. 2 bedroom suite on the 12th floor. We arrived in the room which was quite out of date, only to find allot of construction noise coming from our floor. There was a posting in the room apologizing for the construction noise in the building from 10 AM until 5 PM daily. We asked if we could have a quiter room regardless of floor, and they gladly accomodated us to one of the newly restored units, which was quite nice and new. However, they dont have very good quality control with thier contractor, as there was some real shoddy workmanship, and construction punch list issues that we felt needed addressing, Drywall mud all over the windows, the sliding glass doors, took almost 2 people to open and close. At $300.00 per night, did not include internet, which in all of my travels I cannot understand! We had to call down to the lobby everytime we wanted coffee replenished. There was an espresso maker that used pods, and we always had to ask them to bring them. I would have purchased some but could not find out how. Staff was friendly and accomodating.
Agan for the price, for 3 nights, should have included parking and internet.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a newly renovated room, if available. Do not stay there on 11/26 as the hotel...
2  Thank ptjohn

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We apologize for the inconvenience you were caused due to the renovations. We take a great pride in our hotel and when we get comments like this, we use them as learning tools to improve. Regarding your comments about the parking and internet, we do offer value-added packages which includes parking and WIFI. Again I want to express that we value your business and appreciate your feedback & look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best regards.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

When I was reading trip advisor prior to planning our trip I would come across reviews where everything the author said was completely negative. I would often dismiss those reviews and assume that the person who wrote them was generally a "negative" person. I can tell you that I am not this kind of person (if anything people say I am too positive) but you won't read many positive things in this review.

Let me start with the positives:
- The concierge staff are wonderful and extremely helpful.
- The front door staff are also very happy and welcoming. It must be so cold for them, but you never see them without a smile as they welcome you back.

Now for the negatives (note we stayed in an apartment):
- My sister lives in Vancouver and as we were having an extended stay here we asked her to check out the hotel prior to us booking. The room they showed her and the room we got were vastly different. We found out when we got here that they are renovating and that we were in an older room. You do a room inspection for a reason and expect that what you get when you book will be the same as what they show you.
- The room is extremely non guest friendly and there are lots of small poky places. For example the clearance into the WIR is only 45cm's. The clearance between the bed and the chest of drawers is only 40cms which makes it difficult to get in and out of one side of the room.The door to the teeny tiny ensuite also only opens 3/4's of the way, meaning that you have to close the door otherwise you bump yourself on the door, sink or towel rail every time you try to move in their. I am literally leaving this place with bruises on my elbows, legs and very sore stubbed toe. A lot of these walls look like that they are structural so I am not sure if this can be fixed in the renovations?
- The lifts are a NIGHTMARE! They take forever to come. One day I clocked a 15 minute wait time for a lift and thought that would be the worst it got. How wrong was I? Just the next day it took 20 mins. Every time we would press the down arrow the light would stay on for a few seconds and then go off as if the lift had arrived, but it had not. We could hear the lifts moving (there are 3 in total), so we waited. We even tried pushing the up button just to get a lift to come but that also did not work. After 10 mins of the light not staying on I called the front desk, explained the problem and asked if some-one could send the lift up to floor 15. They didn't seem to care. Eventually one of the nice men from the front door came up to get us. There was a very upset guest also in the lift who thought she was now going to miss her plane because she had been waiting (and calling) for 30 mins and couldn't walk down the stairs with her suitcases.
- Wi-fi is not included in your room and you need to pay nearly $80 for a week (or $20 a day) to get access. It is not even free in the lobby. Also, you can only connect 1 device. If you would like to connect another device you will have to pay another $80. We have stayed at 14 hotels on our family road trip and nearly all have had wi-fi included in their price, including some of the country hotels where we were paying $70 for the room! The most we have had to pay was $60 a week in NYC. On the positive side, the wifi does work well once you pay for it.
- The kitchen is well stocked with crockery, however there is a foul smell that comes out of the cupboards. I wish I could bottle that smell and post it with this review, because that enough will make me never stay here again.
- Our room has a sofa bed in the lounge which we needed to use. The way the lounge is set up, you can't actually get the bed out of the sofa with out having to re-organise the furniture because it doesn't fit and the furniture is heavy! Two grown men struggled to move some pieces. When we finally got the the bed out, the mattress is so thin I don't know why they even bothered with it.
- The bed in the main bedroom was not much better. There is a clear "dip" in the mattress from were people have slept previously. After 2 nights in that bed I have developed severe back pain and have had to have treatment.
- We rented an in-house movie. There were lines throughout the tv / movie and it was not a clear picture. These lines were not on the TV prior to us watching the movie and disappeared once the movies ended. They also have a section where they claim the rentals are still in the cinema's. Most of those movies had finished in the cinema about 3 months ago.
- And I know this is a little thing to complain about but when we booked they noted it was my mothers birthday. They told us that it was lovely that she was spending her birthday with this hotel and said that she would have a gift waiting for her upon arrival. Mum was so excited about this and kept talking about it, but when we arrived there was no gift.
- The pool area is quite nice but 3 out of the 4 times we used the pool there were no towels. Make sure you stop by the change rooms and pick one up from there.
- Oh and the umbrella they gave me in the lobby had a hole in it and I got soaking wet. That really says it all I think!

So all in all, I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone. They claim to be an upmarket hotel and they charge you accordingly but if I could I would give this zero stars. I don't mind paying this price for a hotel but I expect a whole lot more. Probably the most disappointing part is that my sister inspected the hotel but what they showed her was completely different to what we got.

4  Thank PeteandNicki
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one week. Beautifully renovated room with a great kitchenette. We left a bit of a mess in the kitchen the first day and came back to find the place spotless. Dishes were even done. .
Full grocery store right across the street.
Hotel was in a great spot. We walked to everything. Comfortable bed! Excellent staff. We will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012
Navid S, Manager at La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for the great review. We pride ourselves in going the extra mile for our guests. Our mission is to always provide excellent service and facilities to every one of our valuable guests. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Thank you for your visit!
Best regards,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was delighted when I was shown to a newly renovated condo with a kitchen full of Miele appliances, two TVs (not that I needed 2), a dining area, living room, and bedroom. There was lots of cupboard space and a balcony with a table and chairs. Best of all, everything was clean and unscuffed! The quilted satin and velour upholstery was not much to my liking, but that's just a question of taste.

Check-in was slow but the concierge desk was very helpful. I also enjoyed a relaxing pedicure at the spa.

The location on Burrard is a mixed blessing. It's convenient but the traffic is very noisy and sometimes disturbed my sleep.

Room Tip: The supermarket next door has excellent quality products and a good variety of food.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

What a great place to stay. It was like staying in a small condo. We had a newly renovated suite so everything was brand new. Looked as if we were the first to use the toaster. It was so nice to have a decent size kitchen area to prepare breakfast before starting our day to explore the wonderful city of Vancouver. The bedroom, bathroom and living area were all a good size also. There is a good size balcony, however we didn't use it as the weather wasn't the greatest. The wine merchant on site was a good place to pick up wine and the iga next store is a good market to pick up what you need. A little pricey but very convenient. The staff were all very nice too. Will definately stay here again if we get back to the beautiful city of Vancouver.

Room Tip: I only gave sleep quality a 3 as the street noise could be heard as the windows didn't seem too...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Navid S, Manager at La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated modern suite in La Grande Residence at The Sutton Place Hotel. Thank you for shopping at The Sutton Place Wine Merchant and your compliments for our staff are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Sutton Place for 2 days while we were visiting some friends and family. When we first arrived we were very impressed with the look of the hotel and the front lobby. Very grand, beautiful and well decorated. The front desk staff were very polite and nice. As we made our way to our room on the fourth floor, we noticed that the hallways looked a little dull and definitely needed some fresh paint and a little maintenance but our room was great. The bed is very comfortable but the heating systems keep me up since I am a light sleeper.
The next morning, we decided to look around the hotel and go for a quick workout. The gym was not the best gym, it felt very small and dirty. I did not enjoy my workout. The pool was nice but could use a upgrade as well. The spa was very nice but a little over price for me anyhow.
The little cafe was very cute and had a great latte.
The hotel is beside some great restaurants and near Robson street where you can enjoy some great shopping and about a 10 minute walk from the mall. There is also a market, 2 minutes away and lots of food trucks near by if you need a little snack in the evening.
Overall, is was a good experience and do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family