Corkscrew Inn
$443
$372
Opus Hotel
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$195
$448
$389
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Park Inn & Suites by Radisson(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$237
$349
$538
$461
  • Restaurant
All reviewsedwardian roombritish indiakitsilano areahomemade jamsgranville islandprivate patiounique place to staykitsilano beachcharming housegreat hostsother guestsbus routesclock radiocooked breakfastresidential streetpublic transportationhome away from home
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night while visiting my son who lives in the Kitsilano area. The Corkscrew is on a quiet street conveniently located near Kitsilano, is close to 4th Avenue, and is not far from downtown. It is a unique place, with an interesting history. I found it a very comfortable place to be, with an excellent bed. I did not have the breakfast, so I cannot comment on its quality. But I really appreciated that a supply of yogurt, cookies, coffee, and tea was always available in the dining room area. Karen, the host, was very gracious and helpful, but not in any way intrusive. And because her suite is actually on its own floor below the two upper levels of the Bed & Breakfast, you do not feel you are intruding into her home. I felt fortunate to find this place. Staying here greatly enhanced the quality of my visit with my son.

Room Tip: For a solo traveller, I would recommend the Edwardian. It is on the main floor by itself, is close to the dining room and living room, and has a lovely view of the back garden.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank frenderio
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for 1 night.

Perfect location, Lovely house, lovely rooms:)

A couple of things that gave us a bad taste about our stay.

First off, only 2 of the 5 rooms were occupied (one by us), the other with a single Lady.

Two days prior to our stay, we had two other couples that also wished to stay the same night as us, but were refused. They insisted on a three day minimum. Even the web page is clear 1 or 2 night stays are ok if there is availability, which there was. We were staying for 1 night, so it just didn't make sense. Bizarre!

Both my husband and I fell very ill that evening from bad food we had eaten at a local restaurant, so we did not make it for the am breakfast. At 10 am, as the hostess was puttering in the kitchen, I explained why we had missed, and was looking for a single piece of dry toast to settle our stomachs before the long drive home. Her reply was that everything was now put away, so NO. Really? is it asking for too much to pop a piece of the bread in the toaster for a guest under these circumstances?

Lastly, when my husband sat down to put on his shoes at the front door (you are not allowed any footwear in the house) he had put down a gift basket that was given to us that I had already opened, and forgot it there on the floor when he left. When we realized that and called to let them know we would be picking it up, they said that they had already eaten most of the goodies, and that only the wine was left. She said she believed it was a gift for them that we had brought. Really? -- opened with half the wrapper/ribbon stuffed inside, left on the floor where yo sit to put shoes on, gift tag not adressed to you? Maybe they thought my husband wouldn't bother getting it now. Well he did, just on principal.

Will never stay here or recommend it to anyone as I think the staff doesn't really have the passion or the heart of most good B & B proprietors.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank luvtogetawaynow
Kitsilano, Owner at Corkscrew Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

There are many reasons why rooms may be empty and are not available for a one night stay: last-minute cancellations; scheduled maintenance which takes less time than planned; expectation, particularly over a weekend, of a longer stay. Unscheduled maintenance can require a lengthy period of vacancy.

Our General Manager reports that you referred to one co-worker who wanted to stay; she asked him to check back closer to the arrival date and he never called.

You had asked for breakfast at 8am and she held your breakfast quite late, but by the time you came out after 10, everything was cleaned up. She did show you the cereals, fruits and yogurts that are always available.

After you checked out, she found the gift basket contents scattered around your desk area and she assumed that you meant to leave them. She apologized for her mistake and replaced the one item she had used with extra items. When she spoke to your husband a of couple days later, he laughed and said it was no big deal.

So the negative comments in your review come as a surprise.

A vast number of our reviews comment on the excellent hospitality provided by our General Manager. It is hard to see what more she could have done to resolve the gift basket misunderstanding.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This Inn has a lot to offer. It has a warm and stimulating atmosphere, very comfortable clean and efficient rooms, teh beds especially comfortable and gthe duvets exta nice. A special touch was the wonderful breakfasts with lots of variety and personal attention to details and preferences. Beautiful antiques and stained glass windows throughout, all relating to wine. It is situated on a quiet street but very close to many resources and not far from the ocean . Very friendly , helpful and interesting staff and owner. A delightful experience. The gift of a corkscew in every room is a nice touch. Our room had a distant view of the mountains.

Room Tip: Excellent website to help you choose as the rooms are each quite unique.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Corkscrew in twice, before and after Christmas, on a trip to ski in BC. On my first stay I had to go back to the Inn after my flight up to the mountains was cancelled because of bad weather, and the manager Karen went out of her way to make sure I wasn't stranded, and had a room for the night. On my way back in January there was no question where I wanted to stay again... The Inn is relaxed, homely, well-furnished and very well located. The rooms are very comfortable and there's hot water in abundance. I could pad around in the early morning making coffee for myself and reading by the fire, then duck out for a run along Jericho Beach as the sun came up. It's a short walk to the very pleasant Kits neighbourhood, with small cafes, restaurants, bars and stores. It's not far from BC University and the excellent anthropology museum. Last benefit: Wayne's homemade sherry. It's in a bottle on the dining room counter.

Room Tip: I stayed in two rooms - British India and French. They were both comfortable and warm. I don't think there's a better or worse room in the house; they're all good.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Kitsilano, Owner at Corkscrew Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We hope the weather is more cooperative on your next ski trip and you'll stay with us again.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful first time experience of a B&B, when we stayed at the Corkscrew Inn. This B&B is ideally located close to the ocean so you can go for long walks along the sea wall or even walk to Grandville Island. The service and food was top notch, with Wayne making us fun and delicious breakfasts each morning. We stayed in the Art Deco room and I personally loved the deep soaker top. The whole house is tastefully decorated with antiques, stain glass windows and numerous corkscrews from all over the world. Just an all-round relaxing stay and we will go back. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone travelling in the Vancouver area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple