“Wonderful, Authentic Greek Food -- from a Greek”
Review of Maria's Taverna

Maria's Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Maria's Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #721 of 3,751 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Bellingham, Washington
“Wonderful, Authentic Greek Food -- from a Greek”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

So happy that our excursions in Kits ended with an amazing meal at Maria's! My partner chose a family meal--about $19 Canadian gets you one of three apps, a few choices for the main course and either baklava or ice cream to finish. Her hummus was a little cloud of garlicky deliciousness, the pita large, warm and delectable. Her chicken souvlakia was the perfect combination of moist and flavorful with a roasted, crisp edge. Some of the best grilled chicken I've had.

I was thwarted by the lack of tarama, but seeing it on the menu along with some chicken liver dishes let me know there was some authenticity happening. I chose a scallop/prawn souvlaki and can honestly say I have never eaten grilled scallops that retained quite the succulency that these had. Amazingly flavorful and good, as were the rice, potatoes roasted to perfection, and the Greek salad.

When the waiter heard that I had been considering the calamari, he brought us a sample to try. We immediately regretted not having ordered it--what a fabulous few bites of fried-yet-juicy rings we had! I'd order them in a heartbeat.

They restaurant had also sold out of baklava (lesson: get there early on a Monday.) Instead, we were served ekmek, consisting of a layer of pastry topped with custard, cream and almonds. Please pass up the tried and true and give this a try instead! Simply wonderful.

I can't wait to return to Maria's again.

• Visited February 2014

BC
“The Best Greek food we ever had is at Marias Taverna”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Wow,I thought we had the best Greek food out here in Surrey at New York,New York but no we do not.I had an opportunity to try Marias Taverna on 4th Avenue in Vancouver & we were so impressed by the food & the service.I had the beef souvlaki (very good) & my friend had the lamb roast,she said it was to die for & it looked delicous so I had a taste.....& it was!!!!!!!
.Back up,we started with a large dish of tzatziki sauce & pita.......I know the usual,right? Wrong,the tzatziki was so light ,so fresh,it was so good & the pita was excellent too,not dried out,but toasty on the outside & soft on the inside.
This was definitely the best Greek food we old seniors have ever had & we have tried lots over the years.
I cannot wait to go back to get that lamb roast for myself........my friend had enough food to last her for a few lunches or dinners in her doggy bag....it was very large.
I almost forgot,the prices are ridicously low too....mine was around $15,which is what you pay for a hamburger in these new high end places today & the lamb roast was the best deal yet at $18.....can you believe it?

• Visited October 2013