“Best japanese ramen experience ever !”

Maruko Japanese Noodle House
Ranked #2,016 of 3,749 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese, Soups
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
“Best japanese ramen experience ever !”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everyone enjoys ramen. They come in different sizes, variety and unfortunately those available at supermarkets ... well that's another story.

Wonderful basic japanese ramen. The broth was tasty and the boiled egg was perfectly soft. Probably one of the best quality/price ratio in Vancouver. In addition the staff is exceptionally professional and nice.

One of our new 'must go' places with the kids when we are in Vancouver.

• Visited November 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Worth the money you pay”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We tried this restaurant (my wife and 2 y/o daughter) since we had a Groupon coupon and wanted to check the place and food. The food serving was good and the prices were not too bad. The noodles soup were good and fresh. The meat were very tender as well. There Salmon a la carte was also very good.

• Visited October 2013
Sophia, North Carolina
“Excellent Dishes - at lower prices”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Food was well prepared and freshly prepared. Very tasty and worth a repeat visit. Not many tables in this mom & pop place and they do not speak good English, but you can point and gesture and get the best Noodle and Rice dishes in town. Do not be afraid to try this place.

Visited September 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“A decent bowl of ramen”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I visited this relatively new addition of Japanese Ramen in the downtown of Vancouver with 2 friends and my husband. My husband is a vegan, and I would have thought it should be easy to have a bowl of noodle with some hot water and a bit of Shoyu or Shio and hopefully with some vegetables. The server told us that even their noodles (all of them) has a bit of eggs in them. When we asked if it would be possible for him to have some rice with some vegetables on top, like a vegetable-don (I know it is not commonly done, but how hard will that be). Only were disappointed with a reply that the kitchen has no vegetables to put on the rice, but you an order a bowl of rice, order some side vegetables. So my husband had a side order of Edamame, side order of sea weeds, a side bamboo shoot, a side cucumber salad and a bowl of rice.

My two other friends and I had their miso ramen, Maruko ramen (with black garlic oil), a few side orders with grilled salmon, pork and eggs, and some extra sides of black ear fungus and bamboo shoots. The ramen is pretty good, except the soup base arrived luke warm (a bad sign or a delay in bringing the ramen directly from the kitchen to the table). The prices are reasonable, and the services was friendly.

Unfortunately Vancouver has a few top notched ramen places like Ramen Jinya (which offers a true vegan "vegetable soup ramen") and Motomachi along with Kintaro all serve a damn mean bowl of ramen. So one has to do a lot better in order to compete within the Vancouver downtown ramen scene.

Maruko serves a decent bowl of ramen at reasonable price in downtown Vancouver with good services, but that is as far as it will go for me.

• Visited September 2013
Vancouver, BC
“Reasonable Ramen”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my two children and a $15 groupon valid for $30 worth of food. The menu is very reasonable and the portions are quite generous, so we actually had trouble consuming $30. The service was quick and efficient. We were thirsty and found that the small water glasses required the server to refill our cups multiple times. The ramen was Shio, Shōyu, or Miso. I don’t know anything about ramen, so I logged on to their free wifi and became quickly educated. We chose two combos featuring shio & shōyu ramen, and a BBQ salmon don. The salmon was a bit too salty according to my daughter. I tried both ramen choices and found the shio to be lighter and a bit sweeter and the shōyu to be more meat flavoured. Both were more salty than I prefer, but I make chicken soup from scratch and add no salt, so my salt tolerance is low. The restaurant is casual and the seating is at the bar overlooking the cook, at tables inside, or at one outdoor table on Robson St. The seats are cushion covered stools that become a little uncomfortable after 40 minutes; I prefer a traditional chair with a backrest.

• Visited September 2013