“Really satisfying”

Homer St. Cafe and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Homer St. Cafe and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 3,945 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Cross street: Smithe
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having done a lot of "window shopping" for places to eat in Vancouver, I guess I was moved by how simple and well done this restaurant was for my wife and I. As much as is possible, the restaurant takes an authentic stab at a "Farm to fork" concept and delivers great food that you feel could be served in a great rural setting, where of course the farmer had some fine dining chef skills :) It's also great to have fun, caring and enthusiastic staff who seem to really care about what they're serving. I would certainly go back the next time I'm in Vancouver.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a gem of a place. Polite staff, excellent food, wonderful atmosphere and a great bar! Even the basic salad was fresh and healthy. Try the steelhead trout.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Top marks for casual, attractive & lively vibe. A bit disappointing on the food side.
Started with a glass of Davis Bynum Pinot Noir ($16) Shared a lovely salad of heirloom tomatoes, arugula & goat cheese - nice pleasantly acidic vinigrette ($12). The whole rotisserie chicken @ $32 is a good deal if you both want chicken - it was juicy, tender & came with baby roasted potatoes, au juice(actually gravy) & a pretty ordinary coleslaw. Don't know what seasoning was on the chicken, but I detected a little too much 'Caribbean flavour' for my taste - hints of all spice/cinnamon/nutmeg??? In that family anyway.
The side of broccoli 'bagna cauda'' ($6) was awful - cooked broccoli in a runny soup of watered down commercial Caesar dressing is the best I can describe it. We were told there was plenty of anchovy & garlic (which are the primary flavours of a bagna cauda) but could detect neither. OK, I know a lot of people don't like either - but come on guys, call it something else!
Service was efficient & pleasant for a busy Friday night so no complaints there.
Actually loved the place if they could just ramp up the food a notch would happily go back - give them time & I'm sure they will get it right.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Homer Street Cafe is a wonderful space light airy, and very pleasant from a decor point of view. The staff is helpful and courteous..
The food is undistinguished. I ordered the seared tuna Brandade. The brandade was a thick pasty gluey mass on a toasted foccacio. I had a green salad which was saturated in dressing and had too much vinegar, very acidy.
My husband had the quarter chicken with was poorly flavoured, with a jus which made it just O>K> too many potatoes.
The highlight was a side of wonderfully made mushrooms..
The restaurant should produce better food, and a little more sophistication to measure up with its great looks and location

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were observing the renovations as we live close by. I have to say the food was not that great but it was not that bad either. What really was outstanding, was our server - she was right on with recommendations without being pushy. I might not go back for the food but for a glass of wine on their patio.