“Just a very average bistro” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Cigale French Bistro

La Cigale French Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
La Cigale French Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #469 of 3,678 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Description: La Cigale French Bistro, serves french cuisine and is located along 4th Avenue, in Vancouver's Kitsilano neighbourhood. Formerly Bistrot Bistro.
Vancouver, Canada
“Just a very average bistro”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Food:
In the average.

We ordered Eggs Benedict and a plate of cheese and charcuterie. The eggs were fine, but it's admittedly hard to go wrong with them. The assiette of cheese and ham was in the average as well: they serve 4 or 5 different small samples of cheese with some samples of sausage. Maybe, from a French-style bistro I would expect some better quality as it regards this plate.

We ordered also a creme brulee but it wasn't very good: the taste of eggs was too strong, and the crust was thick and hard.

It's worth mentioning the bread they serve you upon your sitting at the table: it's a warm and crunchy baguette, served with some olive sauce. A nice welcom indeed. I would expect to have the same warm and crunchy bread accompanying the cheese while they serve a simple baguette.

Wine:
In the average. The Vermentino was nearly sparkling and not tasty. The Pinot Noir was fine, with no character.

Atmosphere:
The local has nothing special to be mentioned. It's a small nice bistro, with a few tables.
The general atmosphere was indeed quite uncomfortable: we had dinner while there were screamings in the background, coming from the cook in the kitchen, who was quarreling with the person in charge of the bistro. The waiter tried to cover the screams raising the music volume but it didn't work. I'm perfectly aware this was probably a single episode but I was surprised not to get any apologies from them.

Service:
Really bad. We ordered Eggs Benedict and cheese in order to be served quickly. Well, we had to wait half an hour, and there was only another table to be served. Maybe such a lenghty time was related with the fighting in the kitchen.

Price:
Too high for the quality of food.

Summary

Pros:
Can't see any specific pro or reason to go there again

Cons:
Pricy. You may have the same quality in any other cafeteria. This is not at all a French-style bistro, it's just another cafe/restaurant with some French names on the menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aroundtheday

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Definitely recommended for Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

As we don’t go out for dinner—we just nibble at home—we decided to try out this Bistro for Brunch (formerly Bistrot Bistro) and went on Easter Sunday. Surprisingly enough there were a number of dishes for an almost vegetarian like me (see the picture of the menu attached to this review). As it was I choose to have the onion soup and the Gratin Macaroni de Fromage—that is macaroni & cheese! My wife had the Le Florentin. For some reason the ‘Frites’ mentioned on the menu never arrived which didn’t strike her until she had finished her dish. But since there was bread and an olive tapenade spread, she was satisfied with the amount of carbs consumed. Alas no lattes.

We plan to go again. Perhaps for lunch on the 4th Thursday of the month when there is something called the Secret Science Cafe during which you can listen to a scientist talking about his/her work. Sounds interesting.

Overall, a satisfying experience and a place we can take guests to when that need arises.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, BC
“A fantastic French cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I went there 2 weeks ago. And I loved it. Fresh and French,
The chef deserves at least one Michelin star. I ordered the French baguette with tapenade, lovely and very creative. Then the Escargot garlic and parsley butter, so tasteful, and the Fish of the day. an ocean of flavors. If, as I do, you love rock fishes, go there. it was a dream.
I did not take any desert, but I heard many happy comments from the other tables.
I had a glass of a great organic French red wine. I recommend it to you. No bitterness in it, just some red fruit taste and an agradable mouth feel
Waiters and waitresses wewre fast and smiling. I even got the chance to chat with Brigitte the owner who take care of each of her customers and is really happy when you are!

• Visited November 2012
“Un dîner délicieux”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I came here for a a nice mid-week dinner with my Bf.
I was craving french - especially some crème brûlée. Reservations were booked with Open table.
I loved the paintings on the left side of the walls when you enter. Its a fairly small restaurant but not too cramped. It was a nice day out so they opened up the "window walls" facing the streets - giving in a more open feel. There was a mixed crowd not only couples but families with children and etc.
The servers there were friendly when we walked in and greeted us. The lady who sat us was very friendly and polite same with our server.
We ordered the mussels to start - so yummy. Shallots, parsley in a white wine sauce. Really good. My Bf ordered something on the chef featured menu (beef in a peppercorn sauce with frits) - the peppercorn was so good - one of the best I have ever tried. Not too over whelming but perfect. I had the halibut in the watercress sauce - It was good. Fish cooked nicely the sauce was very fresh tasting I really enjoyed it but the peppercorn was my fav so its hard to comment. I loved how the entrees had a good amount of sauce served with it.
For the sides - They are to be orders separately unfortunately, but when in a group i think it works out well. The side portions are quite large and its comes on a separate dish - I actually liked it better. We shared the mash potatoes and it went perfect for us to dip with the sauces of our entrees.
The desserts - I had the vanilla bean crème brûlée (It was very well done, just what I wanted)

It was a wonderful and delicious dinner - We will for sure be returning to try more of their menu and back for the crème brûlée and peppercorn sauce.

I would highly recommended!

bon appétit

• Visited August 2012
Leicester
“Pleasant and memorable evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Four of us ate here on 1 June 2012. The food was very good and overall the price was not unreasonable, although to a British person the price of wine was on the high side. We would certainly recommend Bistro Bistro and we will go back again next time we visit Vancouver.

• Visited June 2012