“Tasty food -- excellent value”

Tacofino Commissary
Ranked #226 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I've visited this somewhat "hole in the wall" three times now, and this last time I decided I just had to write a review. All three times the service, food, and atmosphere have been excellent. On their starters/share menu I've tried the cauliflower dish and the nachos. Both I would highly recommend. I've tried almost all of the different types of tacos they have, and none of them disappoint. I'd have to say, though, that the tuna tacos are my favourite, followed closely by the fish. They also have some craft beers served in different size bottles to share (12 oz, 32 oz, & 64 oz. The Tofino Brewing Tuff Session Ale is a really good one that goes down easy.

The staff are all very friendly and offer great service.
In terms of value, this place is a home run. Their tacos are all a good size and are only $5-$6 each, and then their appy/share plates are $7-$12. Two of you can dine and get a 32 oz bottle of beer to share and still walk out with only a $35 bill.

There are newer reviews for Tacofino Commissary

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I'm just a tourist from Seattle who loves food trucks. I googled Vancouver's downtown trucks and the bottom line is I had to do my research by eating at TacoFino as I love fish tacos and always searching for the best one. I was not disappointed here! For $5 you get deliciously crunchy fried cod with a spicy slaw and tomato salsa on top with lime and your choice of hot sauce (I chose Siracha). I love that they grill the tortilla so it's lightly toasted with a nice crunch.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The tacos are tasty - the tempura sweet potatoe is outstanding. The place is busy and interesting. The lime custard desert we shared however, is the dish that puts this place on my map. One of the nicest things I have ever put in my mouth and I plan to go back for more

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Tacofino has some of the best soft tacos you'll eat in your life. Their service is prompt, unique, and very relaxed. If you're looking to be wined and dined, probably best you steer clear and head somewhere else; this place is for a casual experience. There is, however, nothing casual about the food, it's 100% effort. The sauce combinations on their tacos are amazing and each one stands out on its own. Not ideal for vegetarians as most of the tacos have chicken, beef, or seafood, but there are a couple of options just in case you need them.

Favorites are definitely the cauliflower & nacho appetizers and the fish & beef tacos (each appy and taco are individual, not combined together). Haven't tried a taco I haven't like yet, but the fish and beef are definitely standouts to me and my wife.

Keep a keen eye open when looking for this restaurant because it literally is a hole in the wall. Their sign is very small and faint neon and done in a handwritten font, so it does not stand out on the busy street. It's quite busy and loud, but not in an annoying or overpowering way, just trendy and pub like for noise, so don't come expecting to do a business deal or talk about confidential things as you usually have to speak louder than normal.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stopped in quite early on a Tuesday evening and had no trouble getting a table for 6. It was a little tricky to find the restaurant as. when we went, there was no sign and the overhanging awning was simply the metal frame ... looked like an empty space. Service was fast and friendly ... until we were ready to leave ... then it was non-existent! All the food was awesome ... my favourite was the pork jowl taco (the pineapple salsa was amazing). The fish tacos were good ... but I've had better. Others at my table loved them. We had a 5 year old with us and although they were willing to modify most of the tacos to suit his taste (less spicy), we opted for a cheese quesadilla. Unfortunately there was zero effort put into making the quesadilla, it was literally 2 triangles of tortilla with cheddar cheese ... for $4. We had to order 2 to ensure that our son had enough to eat. Next time we'll try him on a regular taco. Drinks were great ... the rocks margarita was tasty! And they made a Paloma for me on request (tequila, grapefruit soda and lime). All in all, we give Tacofino 2 thumbs up and will definitely be back.