“Good wholesome and fresh”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Nuba in Kitsilano

Nuba in Kitsilano
Reserve with OpenTable
Nuba in Kitsilano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #908 of 3,705 Restaurants in Vancouver
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Good wholesome and fresh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've heard about Nuba for years but never been till last night. It was a last minute date night and we were glad we did.

SERVICE
We didn't have reservations but if you do go I would recommend it. I would also recommend asking for a table away from the front door as it gets a bit chilly if you have a loved one that gets cold easily. I was not a fan of the hostess who took our name and seated us. She lacked the personal skills that would normally make any patron feel special. She kind of just went through the motions but I didn't really feel like she really listened to me. To be honest, if it wasn't for the server/bartender who picked it up service, I think we would have left.

FOOD
The food is truly why I think you should go there. We both had cocktails and I would highly recommend if you are gin fan you have to have the Hat Trick (gin, ginger juice, and ginger ale). Our server recommended the La Feast $33 which gave a mountain of food for the two of us. We started with a appy plate that included hummus, baba ganooj, and tabbouleh and a giant bowl of pita. Then came the hot plate filled with the falafel, cauliflower, olives, cheese, salad, rice, lentils and dips. There was so much food that we had leftovers and no room for desert.

I am not sure if the hostess was having a 'bad day' or it was that busy but I think I would try another location next time. It is too bad the service lacked from the hostess because I would really like to give '4 stars' to this location... but I was very happy with the food.

• Visited November 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Everything about this restaurant was nice except the unnerving noise. The volume of the racket was at such an intensity that it completely spoiled my meal. It is a shame that the lovely food had to be ruined in such a way. I looked forward to getting out of that place just to escape being overwhelmed with the awful noise. I will not go back for this reason and cannot recommend it either. My visit was at night, so then perhaps the blast of volume may be tolerable during lunch.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Peggy8819
The Road
“Several things done well, but some room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We ate here because it's close to St. James Hall, where we were attending a concert (Dar Williams, who is still fantastic). We were pleased with our experience here, it was just exactly the sort of neighbourhood restaurant that made for a good pre-concert meal. We had four appetizers and two desserts, plus beer and wine (try the Lebanese red, it's good). The food was all very good, and I felt morally righteous eating my pumpkin spice cake in knowing that some portion of the cost was going to the fight against breast cancer. And since the dinner was less than $100 before the tip, it was a good deal. That said:

* I'm mystified that they couldn't find our reservation. It didn't really matter, since we had no trouble getting a table, but the woman who I'd spoken to on the phone that morning had made a point of asking that I call if we were running late, because otherwise they might not be able to hold our reservation. Given that it seemed that they took their reservations very seriously, I was surprised that they could have completely lost ours in the six hours between when I made it and when we arrived.
* Of the four staff with whom we interacted, two were lovely, charming and intelligent, but the other two were virtually automatons.
* Since we were at a table for two, the server who took our order thoughtfully said that she would ask the kitchen to stagger the preparation of our dishes so that the small table didn't get too full. The kitchen didn't really follow through on this, though, so that the table was too full at times.
* They really haven't made any effort with the decor. While I don't remember how long it's been since Orestes occupied this space, it looks as though they could have moved out this morning taking their artwork with them and that Nuba moved in without changing anything.

Anyway, these are small points. It was very pleasant and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Visited October 2013
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

It could have been great....but wasn't. It won a people's choice award for best Lebanese resto in Van, and the first two sharing dishes were excellent; the fried cheese and deep fried cauliflower. After that, despite our excellent server, of the four mains our party had, only one of us was pleased with our selection, the exception the fresh grilled halibut special served on cannellini beans, which was good, but not a particularly special or memorable. The octopus, tough and chewy, was sent back to the kitchen and exchanged for six spicy prawns. The lamb shank was fall off the bone tender but had no discernible exotic flavour so was actually quite tasteless, and the braised beef strips could have been so much better! I thought the saving grace would be the October dessert special...$1 of each plate generously going towards breast cancer this month...with their pumpkin spice cake (caramel sauce and candied ginger)...but the 3 plated chunks were dry and overheated and would have benefited from a pool of sauce, not a drizzle!

A nice bonus was the amount of vegan side dishes and small plates, and the Lebanese wine was earthy and interesting, but with so many outstanding restos in Vancouver, we won't be returning to this location in Kits. Perhaps you'd have more luck at one of their other downtown locations as each creative team apparently has their own specialty dishes, but for $110 a couple, sharing, the best thing about the evening was the company and our friendly server who kindly removed the octo from the bill.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank sparklemarilyn
Vancouver, Canada
“Cannot go wrong - one of the busiest restaurants in Kits.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a neat place to go for dinner, can get busy on evenings and weekends. good selection of food, well marinated lamb, punctual service and polite staff. good for lunch or dinner. do book on weekends.

Visited June 2013