“Coffee drinks were ok, and the donuts... basically boring”

49th Parallel Roasters Cafe
Ranked #292 of 3,730 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South Main
Tucson, Arizona
“Coffee drinks were ok, and the donuts... basically boring”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Coffee drinks were interesting at the 49th Parallel. Apparently the wifi is good; there were a bunch of people on it. The donuts, however, one of their star attractions, were unremarkable. Lots of sugar and a few interesting combinations, and frankly, it wasn't worth the walk.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
“Sour tasting coffee; Lucky donuts are pretty great.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Coffee was very disappointing, especially because the packaging is so gorgeous and the price is pretty high for a regular cup. The coffee was sour and tasted burnt. I actually did a google search and found that I am far from the only one who noticed this taste. On the other hand, the French Cruller was quite tasty, although it might have been sitting for a while and was cold/slightly soggy.

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent coffee meets inexcusably bad service”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Okay, let's start with the positive. The space is very pleasant and, no two ways about it, the coffee is truly excellent. So excellent, in fact, it's the only thing preventing a "terrible" rating. Because the rest? The rest was truly too awful for words.

We came in and placed an order for one black Americano coffee, one Earl Grey tea, one glazed doughnut, one old fashioned, and a glass of water.

The doughnuts came straight away, with no indication as to whether the drinks would be brought to us, should we wait, do they call out when they're ready... what? So we found a seat and kind of kept an eye on the counter in an optimistic fashion.

Meanwhile we tried our doughnuts. Both of which were stale, both seemed to have been cooked in the kind of cheap cooking oil that leaves you feeling slightly acidic for hours afterwards. Not pleasant! Still, we mainly just wanted a nice hot drink. Speaking of which...

Eventually my husband went up to see if our drinks were ready. Sure enough, they were, and sitting on the far counter out of our line of sight. Nobody had bothered to tell us. He returned with his coffee and my tea. No water. Also nothing to go with the tea. Fair enough, some folk prefer their Earl Grey black, but you at least offer the customary options of milk or lemon!

A weird kind of comedy ensued as I tried to get a small jug of milk and the missing glass of water from a member of staff who couldn't have been more sullen and disinterested if he'd tried. Seriously, a level of rude unhelpfulness I'd have been offended by even in Britain.

By the time I finally had my cup of tea and teeny tiny glass of very begrudgingly provided water, honestly the whole place had struck such a sour note we just wanted to get out of there. The coffee, as I say, was truly excellent. So it speaks volumes about how bad the rest of the experience was that my husband left it half drunk in favour of beating a hasty retreat.

Calgary, Canada
“Best doughnuts!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went to the Vancouver location with friends on Saturday afternoon. It was crowded, noisy, laptops, hipsters, couples, families, etc - brilliant vibe. My hotel in Vancouver served their coffee and I thought it was fantastic. But the real gem is their doughnuts! Oh my oh my. My boyfriend had a lemon one and my friend had a blood orange one. They're so light and fluffy, it's like biting into .... cotton candy.

• Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The coffee shop played offensive music. When I told the owner he apologized and sent us 20 dollars. But the sales manager kept harassing us and trying to get revenge. This cafe is bad tasting coffee and is very expensive There are many good cafes in Vancouver which have lower prices and nicer staff

Please don’t give your business to 49th Parallel Coffee