“3 strikes and they're out”
Review of Heirloom

Heirloom
Ranked #302 of 3,811 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Granville
Vancouver, Canada
“3 strikes and they're out”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Third attempt here. It could be a nice atmosphere if it wasn't a) so loud and b) so pretentious. Serving staff could use a lesson on customer service. And the menu could use some excitement - it is very small, conventional, and very overpriced. If two of your maybe 8 main options are grilled cheese and Mac and cheese, two of the other are the standby vegetarian options of a veg curry and chili, then that leaves only 4 other options that could be interesting, and you certainly can't be charging $17 for all of these things!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank meganonatrailer

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Wanted to love it . . .”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

. .. but it just didn't deliver as I expected. I've tried Heirloom twice. The service is great and ambiance is nice, but I won't be in a rush to go back unless I hear reports that some attention has been made to the flavours of the food.

The first time I went there I had the pasta, in which the flavours were muddied and dense. We ordered the fried avocados which everyone is supposed to love. I have never enjoyed warm avocado, but thought there might be some alchemical process that would change them into something other than warm gooey pieces of oil with a crunchy exterior, but nope. That's what they tasted like to me.

My dining companion had the wild mushroom dish and that was indeed delicious and well balanced. Too bad for me that I'm not a person who wants to eat a bowl of mushrooms for a main dish.

I wanted to love it so much that I tried it a second time. Yes, the decor is fresh and uplifting . . . and loud. All those hard surfaces. I'd recommend that if you like to have a conversation during your meal to come early, before it gets too busy.

The second visit prompted me to try the salad. What can go wrong with a salad at a veg restaurant? Well, nothing was wrong per se, it just wasn't that good. I would have been happier with a salad I make at home. It was entirely underwhelming and it made me a bit sad that a veg restaurant did not have a knockout salad. My partner had the curry, which again, was not exceptional. It was good but not great, a sentiment that seemed to cross my mind throughout both of my visits to Heirloom.

I really hope the people that cook the food there eat more of it (I kept wondering if the chefs actually try the food), so they can make some tweaks to move the food from mediocre to marvellous, sometime soon.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Robyn E
alberta!
“Some of the best Vegetarian Food”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Fresh food, well prepared, some original menu items and great service. Decor is trendy urban, serving size was just about right. A patio would be perfect, but not possible. All in all a nice meal (lunch) we would go back.

• Visited April 2013
“delicious/inventive”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went to Heirloom with a friend last night and LOVED it. I'm a vegetarian, so they had me right away, but we were both really impressed with the creative, yummy dishes. We shared the avocado frites (yum!), the appetizer special of pakoras with raita (yum again!), and the 'rawsotto,' which was so good I'm going to try to reverse-engineer it and make it myself. It has cauliflower instead of rice, and a delicious pesto flavour, and we both agreed it was a spectacular dish. The cocktails were also fantastic, as was the friendly, helpful service. I will definitely be back again.

• Visited April 2013
vancouver
“Nice atmosphere, great food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a vegetarian but my girlfriends wanted to try this place; I wasn't too excited and had a no expectations but to my surprise I really enjoyed it and will definitely be back. I loved the simple white atmosphere with the candlelight. The servers were very friendly and checked on us after every dish. We ordered a few plates to share and enjoyed every one.

• Visited February 2013