“PRETTIEST RESTAURANT IN VANCOUVER”
Review of Lily Mae's - CLOSED

Lily Mae's
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Carrall
Transit: The #50 bus stop is across the street and down 20 metres from Lily Mae's. Service is frequesnt.
Description: Lily Mae's is a bistro cafe in the heart of Vancouver's vibrant Gastown area. This cozy, full service restaurant has much of its decor and menu inspired by a European bistro combined with a home-style, rustic approach-ability. With fewer than 30 seats split between an airy, bright main level and a cozy, intimate mezzanine, Lily Mae's strives to make guests feel like they are in someone's home...because they are. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch!
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I LOVE the warm French feel the second you walk in.
Adorable loft. Perfect fixtures and art pieces. Plateware.... Perfect.
Food was wonderful. Strawberry dessert was to die for.
Adorable Australian server who matched the non stuffy atmosphere.
Just an amazing way to celebrate our friends birthday.
Cozy. Unique. Tasty. Warm. Friendly.
Can't wait to go back and try the brunch.
MY NEW FAVORITE PLACE TO BE!!!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

after getting tattoos just down the street we were hungry and thirsty. we asked someone at the tattoo place to recommend something close by and she immediately told us about Lily Maes. It sounded like just what we were looking for. When we got there we noticed that we were 15 mins early for dinner but the owner was sitting outside so he welcomed us in.

We were welcomed to have drinks and told it was just a wee bit early so would we just sit back and enjoy ourselves so we did, appreciating that we could come inside and relax.

What an enjoyable experience! The drinks were fabulous and then we had our appy. Sooo good. Dinner did not disappoint, both of us said our entrees were some of the best food we have ever enjoyed.

Dessert was awesome and the price was modest considering we each had 2 drinks, shared appy and dessert and 2 entrees.

Will definitely dine there again if we are back in the city Service was wonderful and efficient.

2  Thank CanadaSunshine58
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Lily Mae's Cafe has been my absolute favorite ever since my friends and I discovered it one evening for dessert. They served us apple bacon pie with ice cream and in house special source. Raw hot chocolate drink. Delicious and satisfying!!

We have been back for brunch, lunch and dinner endless times - always walk out of the restaurant happy!! The owners of restaurant Amond and Jeff are wonderful. They are dedicated and run the business with love, which show through the quality of the dishes, the attention every little detail, and often offer unexpected delights to their customers. For example, I once made a reservation for a group of 14 and we literally took over the ground floor. The staff were accommodating... and Amond knew we would appreciated music. He hired a musician who played beautiful accordion in and out the restaurant while we were having our Sunday brunch. Besides the sumptuous food they served us, me and friends truly enjoyed the delight of the music. It felt like we were in Paris without taking an airplane.

Lily Mae's Cafe is the jewel of Gastown. I highly recommended, either you decide to have a meal alone, with a lover, or family and good friends. It is an absolute treat for the special ones who knows quality!!

1  Thank Pandy P
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I would like to clarify that never at any point in the night did anyone ever make explicit remarks to the owner, Armand's sexual orientation. That is a blatant lie and needs to be clarified. Everyone involved in this situation spoke their mind and was forthcoming with Armand about the lack of customer service. Armand could have handled himself in a more dignified manner, and not slur insults at a group of girls that were trying to have a nice evening out.

I think this is a lesson to all, that customer service is the utmost important in the restaurant industry. If customers feel they have been wronged in any way, it needs to be dealt with in a civilized and humane manner.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

A group of my friends had a girl's night last night and decided to dine at this restaurant. From the moment we walked in to the time we left the service was absolutely horrible. My friend was pulled from our table by the owner so he could scold her for one person not showing up in our party. She kindly explained that she was still working and running late but would be there soon. He said that he would normally charge $55 for a no show. He said we double booked the table which was an on-line error and my friend called right away to confirm we only needed one table for 8. Our waiter was very nice and pleasant and the food was good but the service was awful. The waiter wanted to give us a dessert on the house to make up for earlier but the owner wouldn't allow him to. And then when we were paying we each had a card to be processed and I guess were taking too long so the owner yelled upstairs (where we were sitting) for the waiter to hurry up with the machine. As I walked out I told the owner I would never be back and he chased after my friend and I and yelled horrible names at us in front of people walking by and all his patrons. What a horrible person and obviously someone who needs to take a few courses in customer service and anger management. I will NEVER return. I can get better food and service elsewhere.

Armand T, Owner at Lily Mae's, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

A response to this review is required to clarify events of that evening. A consistent thread in reviews across blogs and websites is Armand’s hosting and welcoming nature. If he was so horrible in this situation one of two things must have happened: 1) he lost complete control of his faculties that night or 2) he was pushed completely over the edge by your party. Facts suggest the latter.

The first members of your party of 8 arrived 45 minutes after your reservation time on a Saturday night. No apologies were given. At one point, Armand brought the host of the party aside to let her know that in the future, at any restaurant, please call if you are going to be late. He went on to explain that several tables were turned away that could have been seated if the late arrival had been known. Further, many other restaurants would both charge a no show fee for the late table and still give the reservation away.

The reaction to this information was unfortunate. The host was upset and took it personally instead of constructively. This then made the rest of the party angry. So angry that they demanded the server provide free drinks and/or dessert. When Armand refused to do so, the party turned on him.

In fact, the evening ended with the table of 8 walking past Armand near the exit, where he was chatting with another table. One by one, your party hurled expletives and insults at him, said “they were going to ruin him”, and even dropped the “f word” related to his sexual orientation. Appalled, other tables in the restaurant apologized to him on behalf of your gauche and shocking behaviour.

Armand went to speak to your party outside. More words were exchanged and he admittedly retorted back a word that is both vulgar and out of character. Your party then completed the charade by marching up and down the street to tell passersby how horrible he and the restaurant were. The events were capped by harassing phone calls and emails the following day by other members of the family with veiled threats.

All in all a very unfortunate evening, notably for the other guests in the restaurant who witnessed your behaviour.

Anyone who knows Armand can quickly put two and two together that this was an ill-mannered group that does not represent the other 99% of Lily Mae’s guests that we love and respect.