“A cozy experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Carrall
Transit: The #50 bus stop is across the street and down 20 metres from Lily Mae's. Service is frequesnt.
Description: Lily Mae's is a bistro cafe in the heart of Vancouver's vibrant Gastown area. This cozy, full service restaurant has much of its decor and menu inspired by a European bistro combined with a home-style, rustic approach-ability. With fewer than 30 seats split between an airy, bright main level and a cozy, intimate mezzanine, Lily Mae's strives to make guests feel like they are in someone's home...because they are. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch!
Vancouver, Canada
“A cozy experience”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A couple of friends of mine (lets call them Lily and Myrtle) had this crazy idea to open a restaurant a while back. They found the ideal location in Gas Town just around the corner from where they live. (think extra storage) I had the privilege of seeing Lily Mae's in her infancy and let me tell you it was grim. As Lily will tell you, I had great concern as to how they were going to pull it off. A complete overhaul, and I can't emphasize that enough, was needed. It has been a painstaking labour of love for the gals but after many months of contractors, inspectors, permits and the odd little fiasco, they pulled it off and opened their doors last month. Hubby and I ventured in for lunch a few days after opening and we were both awestruck at what the gals had accomplished. The place looked fantastic very antique like and comfort meets French. Lily's has a mezzanine which is where the cozy comes in. It seats 14 and gives a warm ambience. It would be perfect for a small party.
On to the food, given that this was lunch, I went with the Nicoise Salad with ahi tuna which was both light and filling and seared to perfection. Hubby enjoyed his Coq Au Vin and went on to enjoy the Apple Bacon Cake. Imagine cake with bacon! Also a plus was the service. Our waitress was very attentive and an all round pleasant person.
Anyway, last night we decided to convene at Lily's with some of her other friends to have an evening experience. We were 5 in total and lucky me, I was the only girl! I was glad to see that things seemed to be going well for my gal pals and bums where in the seats both upstairs and down. Once again we went with the mezzanine seating. I love the cozy feel! Again the experience did not disappoint. Our Aussie waiter was a charming youngster compared to us older folk. Lily's now has daily specials and a couple of the lads took advantage of that enjoying healthy portions of a chicken breast in some lovely looking crusted concoction. Did I mention, I'm vegetarian! Another had the Beef Bourguignon and bread for dipping. Myself and another lad had the Edith Mae Sandwich, minus the bun for me as a girl's got to watch her figure but with the fries of course. Hubby couldn't say enough about the fries. I shared! I forgot to say that we all started with a salad and let me tell you, everyone was more than satisfied. My poached pear was to die for. The pear is poached in a vanilla berry fusion tea and is like nothing I've ever tasted before. The boys supplemented their food with a hearty Malbec wine and I settled for a glass of the sparkling. Both of which can be recommended. So after all that, we had no room for dessert sadly but let me tell you I have my eye on the Chocolate Guiness Cake!
Well gals, I have to say you did it and well done! For everyone else, Lily Mae's is the new place in Gastown!

• Visited November 2012