“A truly unique experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dark Table

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: Trafalgar
Albany, Georgia
“A truly unique experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had it not been for Groupon I would not have known about this restaurant. I'm so glad that I bought that Groupon because this was truly a unique experience! I don't have anything to add that others have not already said, except for my personal experience that the steak was excellent. I didn't care for the appetizer, but loved the dessert. Again, just personal taste. The point of this restaurant, of course, is to give the patron an idea of what it would be like to be sight-impaired. It certainly did that because trust me, your eyes cannot adjust to the nearly complete absence of light in this place. However, because my friend and I kept putting empty forks in our mouths, we ended up using our fingers a lot. Since I've never seen a sight-impaired person do that in a public place, it truly did give me a small understanding of the barriers they face every day. And putting myself into a position to trust a complete stranger to lead me was difficult. I do have to say that my friend was sitting in a place where she kept getting bumped by waiters and patrons alike, and so it was not a terrific experience for her. She was always "on guard" during the meal. Nonetheless, we are both glad we went. Kudos to our wonderful server, Justin. (Or maybe it was Dustin. Either way, he was very good!)

• Visited August 2013

Edmonton, Canada
“Fun experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you're looking for a unique experience, I highly recommend this restaurant. You pick your food before going in and then eat it all while its pitch black. It's hard to say whether my taste was heightened or if the food was seasoned well. Dessert is always a surprise here and it was tasty. Wash your hands before you go because you will definitely touch your food as you have no idea if you missed something on your plate, lol.

Visited August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Interesting concept, inspiring experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

At first the idea struck me as horrifying - dining in the dark? I've always been afraid of being in complete darkness, especially when without company. But as I continued to read about the restaurant, the idea seemed less scary and more, well, appealing. We frequently take everything for granted...and the thought of losing one of my five senses has never occurred to me.

So my friend and I decided to undergo the challenge and we reserved a spot a week after discovering the restaurant. When we arrived, the host was really friendly and gave us a moment to decide our main course (and to get prepared). Feeling both trepidation and exhilaration, we were guided in by Rose, our kind and patient waitress. It seemed as if we had been blindfolded and led into a large room. I envisioned a grand ballroom for some reason, and everyone was talking louder than usual. We took time to explore our surroundings and cutlery, and Rose was glad to help us out with our dietary restrictions.

It was a lot of fun eating in the dark, chatting through mouthfuls (to ensure each other we were still there), but a little messy as we had to use our fingers to comb our plate for leftover bits. We went for the three course meal (with Groupon it was much cheaper), which was really quite a feast. The appetizer was quite small in portion (at least it felt that way), and slightly bland. The main course, however, was exceedingly good - I chose the chicken stuffed with goat cheese, plus orange gastrique and roasted vegetables. The gastrique (type of sweet sauce) went perfectly with the goat cheese and tender chicken,and I was delighted to find they cut the chicken into pieces to make it easier for us. Usually one to pack leftovers home (I can never finish my food), I found myself cleaning the plate with my fingers, and it was shocking to me to have finished off such a large meal. Lastly, the dessert (won't spoil it for you!) was rather disappointing. Maybe because I am such a addict for sweets, but the dessert wasn't very good at all - really plain, really flavorless. They probably change the dessert every day though, so maybe there was a better dessert for other days.

What really made this an amazing experience was the service. Rose was so sweet and somehow, always there for us when we finished each dish. She told us at the beginning that if we had any problems, we need only shout her name and she will be right there. We shouted her name only once (where she appeared shortly), because every time we finished our food, she would materialize within 5 minutes, almost as if she could see us finishing! It was bizarre.

When we went to the bathroom, it was a strange new experience. Seeing our faces in the mirror, seeing our hands, our feet... It was such a blessed feeling. Although a bit overpriced, I would definitely recommend this place to friends. This is more a one-time dining place for the experience rather than for the food, but I feel like everyone interested should try this at least once in their life. After eating here, I realized that honestly, we really need to appreciate everything that we take for granted... frequently we only appreciate things dear to us only after losing them, and sight is something I cannot imagine living without .

• Visited August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Finding your food at Dark Table”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

A most interesting dinner served in total blackness by visually impaired waitresses. No cell phones or other sources of light are allowed..You are le to your table in single file by your =server..You have no idea who else is there and must feel your way around your dinner (all is precut for you) Food was very good and experience was well worth the trip..

• Visited July 2013
White Rock, Canada
“Definitely something to try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

-good food & great service
-loved my Ravioli and my friends really enjoyed the Beef Tenderloin
-it was hard to wait for a server in order to be able to go to the bathroom or sit back down at the table but we would definitely go again
-make sure to let them know about allergies, very accommodating

• Visited July 2013