New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“OK food although little expensive for what you get.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Fish Shack

The Fish Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fish Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 3,511 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Pacific Rim, Gluten Free Options
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Granville Street
Cross street: Nelson & Granville
Transit: Public transit offers accessibility to every Lower Mainland destination within one minute of The Fish Shack's front door. Choose from the bus, the Skytrain, Seabus or taxis.
Description: From the fisherman’s ship to the Granville Street strip – here, the seafood is as fresh as the crowd. So roll up your sleeves, tie on a bib, grab a mallet and dig in – The Fish Shack has arrived.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“OK food although little expensive for what you get.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Situated just few minutes away from main shopping area restaurant looked great modern with subtle nautical theme. Met with a warm welcome the service was excellent. I opted for the lobster tacos which were very nice and my better half went for the fish and chips. The sticky toffee pudding was to die for and overall the meal was very good. Value wise it was ok but a little expensive for what you get.

• 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Shack, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your meals with us! We agree - the sticky toffee pudding is delicious. Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

• Korean first
North Vancouver, Canada
“Could it get any worse?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We passed up on my favourite Granville Street restaurant, Roxy Burger, to try something new and came across the funky Fish Shack with a special on oysters. We were attracted by the jalapeno corn bread and the Fish Shack salad and decided to stop in between sets of the Jazz Festival. We ordered the corn bread and the salad to share while others seemed to be enjoying the oysters. We received our items and dove into the corn bread - OMG it was the worst thing I have ever been served in a restaurant. How old could it have been? I have saved baked goods in my house for almost a week that tasted way better than this. The frozen solid butter did nothing to help the taste. Then we discovered a twist tie in our salad - really? Anyway when we told our waitress, she did offer another salad which we declined. She came back with an offer of a complimentary dessert. Well, okay. The salad was absolutely tasteless although the calamari was okay. I let my husband have the fish; the prawns were edible. At this point, the highlight was my beer. We were asked twice if we were finished and could she bring the bill - this was confusing as she had offered the dessert. She brought the bill and we noticed this was part of the Glowbal Group of restaurants - now there's no excuse for serving food that was this terrible. Then our complimentary dessert arrived - by the way, we were not offered a choice. The sticky toffee pudding was a soggy mess of a white cake swimming in two cups of improperly thickened caramel sauce with way too much whipping cream used to cover up the mess and thawed berries? on top. I told the waitress that this dessert should not be served - let alone to try to make up for foreign objects in your salad. All and all a complete disaster and certainly not worth a penny let alone the $25 paid. DO NOT GO HERE. Stick with a reliable friend - Roxy Burger.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Shack, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi there. I am very sorry to hear of your recent visit. We always strive to have each and every guest leave having had a great time, excellent service and a memorable experience. Please know I have passed your feedback on to the entire restaurant team. We would like to speak with you directly regarding your visit. Please email marketing@glowbalgroup.com and we will be in touch right away. Thank you.
delta bc
“went for gluten free fish and chips”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have a friend who is celiac so we went to try the gluten free fish and chips.
Since I am not I was able to sample both and they were good. The gluten free option was actually lighter and less oily than the regular batter.
The children had the fish tacos and enjoyed them. Good food, a little pricey. 22$ for 2 pieces of halibut and chips with a side of very bland coleslaw.Many places in the city offer a finer dining option than this for cheaper.
What we did not enjoy was the fishy smell that permeated the dining area upstairs every time staff went into the cooler to retreive an item. Very fresh fish does not smell fishy... so folks at the fish shack , time to clean your cooler

• 3 of 5 stars
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Shack, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi there. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your meals with us! Please know that I have passed on your comments to the entire restaurant team to be looked in to. If you have any additional feedback, please email marketing@glowbalgroup.com and we will be in touch right away. Many thanks!
Miami, Florida
“Will never go back to that shack”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

4 of us went to eat there thinking we were going to have an amazing sea food dinner. The first thing we did was ordered cocktails. My husband and our friend had beer, not bad. We asked for their special tequila margarita. What a horrible thing. It was just lemonade with I guess their tequila. Really really bad , we couldn't drink it. Asked the girl for another drink, it was worse and I mean soo bad we couldn't drink it either. The soup was good and the oysters but the fish was horrible. Dud I said fish? Sorry, it came fried, looking like a cocoon made if greasy crispy dough and when it cracked there was hardly any fish inside. Very disappointing We are the French fries. If you are looking for a good sea food place avoid this one

• 5 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Shack, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear of your recent experience with us. I have passed on your feedback to the restaurant. Please know that we are always happy to immediately replace any dish that a customer is not 100% satisfied with. If you have any additional comments, please email them to marketing@glowbalgroup.com and we will follow up. Cheers!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Benny and buck a shuck!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The brunch benny was great. The Salmon was better than the crab. The best was the buck a shuck. So good!

Visited May 2013
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Shack, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Great to hear! Next time, try the Carrot Cake French Toast...it is DELICIOUS! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.