“Food is Fantastic, Kieran is Amazing”
Review of Espana

Espana
Ranked #122 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great service and food, it was nice to have a fluid professional server that recommended great food and drinks to pair. We live around the corner and this will now be our new local place to eat often. Kieran's ability to work the bar, make drinks, greet tables and run food is not only enjoyable to watch it's inspiring when I've seen so many lazy servers in my day. He deserves every penny he gets if not more. Now the food, the patatas bravas are phenomenal, there is a smokiness and depth to them which is enough to go back for without needing to try the ling cod or chorizo, Next time I will be looking to try the skirt steak, the sauteed spinach with pine nuts, the roasted baby beets, and the mussels cooked in cider. Drinks are reasonably well priced with exception to the hard liquor, it's premium and cheap in comparison to other places. A $7 shot or basil hayden or a $6 ketel one are just 2 of the examples on their spirits list. If you are looking for small prices, medium size plates and big value check this place out.

There are newer reviews for Espana

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Espana is a great addition to the Denman Street restaurant scene. Too many lesser quality food choices fill this street - I assume some of them still exist because of the tourist traffic? So welcome Espana!
Delightful authentic tapas that you would easily find in Barcelona but not so easily in Vancouver.
They don't take reservations so get there early if you don't like to wait. Sitting at the bar is a charming option & tapas style eating/grazing works well at the bar. Good food, good wine, good service, good atmosphere.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We decided to try Espana after reading good reviews from a variety of sources - we were definitely not led astray!

We arrived around 6:30pm and the place was packed. They don't take reservations but there were a couple seats for us at the bar. Inside the restaurant is nice - big beans, muted colours, and enough light to see what you are eating. It was a bit noisy but made the atmosphere friendly and convivial.
Our server was the bartender and he was very good. He was friendly, knowledgable, enjoyed chatting (even though it was busy) and was sure that our water glass was always full.
We started off with a bottle of Spanish Rosé which was very nice and then pored over the menu. There was a large selection and many specials as well. We were a bit unsure about what to order so the bartender gave us some excellent hints.
We started of with dry local chorizo - it was good but was probably the least exciting dish we ordered. This was followed by a toast with roasted peppers, goats cheese, and other stuff - and it was amazing! I could have easily eaten three or four more of these but, luckily, didn't as I was happy to leave room for the rest. The roasted duck breast was amazing - tender with a very nice sauce. This was followed by the roast beet salad - my wife had this and found it tasty and a great combination with yogurt and oranges. Then we had moorish chicken skewers - the sauce it came with looked like a peanut sauce but, surprisingly, was a quince aioli and was amazing. Finally, we had patats bravas - basically fried potatoes with a tomato sauce and aioli that we saw many people order - and they were very tasty - a perfect ending!
There were many other dishes that we saw that we would have liked to try but we were full. The bartender really did take good care of us and added to the relaxed tone to the whole experience. Our total bill including the bottle of wine was around $80 - well worth it. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Espana hasn't even been open a year but people constantly fill the place. It is only open from 5pm on and beyond midnight. This Spanish Wine Bar is very busy every time I've been there or walked by, but I've been lucky every time and never had to wait for a table. I really like this place with little tables for 2 lined up that can be made into 4,6, or more.
I was alone, so I chose to sit at the bar, but I did have a choice.

The bartender, who is one of the owners, is very friendly to everyone as they enter. He offered to create a cocktail for me since I said don't drink wine very often. It was a mix of cassis, san pelegrino lemonade and vodka; not too sweet and good ...and a very reasonable price.
They're pride and specialty is their Spanish wines.

I've dined here before and each time I've liked the food and each time I've tried something different. This time I had the mussels(with potatoes) with country toast and it was in one of the best tasting white cider, anchovy aioli based broths I've ever had. Although this might not matter to you, I found it rich but not overly and that is one of the reasons for the fabulous flavour; you would not be disappointed.

Then I ordered the Lentil Pate with Pita bread. It had a nice cumin flavour and probably other spices I can't pinpoint.

It's a great place to take a date or to double date and it's also a very fine place to go alone. I'm glad I went and I will return again alone or with a friend.
I would have given it an excellent rating, except I'd like to see more greens type salad option on the menu; perhaps fresh GREEN veggies aren't popular with Spanish food?
On that note and in their favour, they do have a wilted spinach with pine nuts & raisins tapa on the menu.

They are close to English Bay, so you could go for a stroll along the seawall if it's still light out and watch the sunset and then go to Espana for drinks and Tapas!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

One of my favourite places in the city! A great place to go on a date, or with a group of friends. Edward and his team are great, and if you go more than a couple of time are sure to remember your name. The food is perfect for sharing and there is a great selection of vegetarian items, nice wine menu and lovely atmosphere!