“Roti is delicious”
Review of Kaya Malay Bistro

Kaya Malay Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Kaya Malay Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,029 of 3,947 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I read about this place in the local paper so we decided to drop by and check it for lunch. There are limited choices when it comes to Malayan restaurants in Vancouver, so more the merrier!
The Roti Canai was really good, nice and fluffy. The flavors for our noodles was a bit subdued (Could have been a bit more spicy), but it was quite nice none-the-less. Serving size was about average while the lunch prices seemed a bit on the high side, but their dinner prices are inline with most places. Service was good, but despite of their name; they do not serve Kaya Toast.

A bit of a modern take on the decor and taste, but I think I will be back again for dinner next time to get a real taste of what they have to offer.

1  Thank NomadOU812

Reviewed March 30, 2012

It had been several years since I've been to this restaurant and it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. I think the management must have changed. For one thing the restaurant layout had changed somewhat and the servers weren't wearing the traditional Thai wear. And the food - we ordered the Pad Thai and a squid stirfry with basil and bamboo shoots. Lots of bamboo shoots. The food was just ok. I thought the squid dish could have been more flavorful, almost tasted like the sauce was watered down. Maybe it's because they don't use MSG (I saw a note on their menu that they don't). And the Pad Thai was better than some of the other Pad Thai's I've had though I have had better. Seemed like it was missing something though I can't quite put my finger on it. The service was very good though. The waitress very friendly. I probably wouldn't go back. Prefer the Urban Thai Bistro in yaletown.

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Tried yet another Thai place.

The food was alright, but nothing special. I've had better Green Curry elsewhere

The restaurant was very cold, heating wasn't working..and the atmosphere was lacking

I wouldn't go back

Reviewed November 15, 2007

I have pad thai take-away from here nearly every week!

Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Excellent green and red curry dishes. Not quite the best in the city (though in a city with as much great Thai as Vancouver, that's a tall order indeed), but still pretty damn good.