“A real gem”

Ranked #50 of 3,912 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Commercial Drive
Description: Absinthe Bistro offers modern and classic french cooking on Commercial Drive
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Situated across the street from Grandview Park, this lovely little gem of a restaurant is an absolute must when in Vancouver.
The food is delicious and the presentation beautiful. Even with just a few offerings each day, the variety and imagination on the menu is noteworthy.
The service is charming - this is a "serious" food, but warm and engaging group running the place. A most welcoming and delightful combination.
We will definitely be back. Be sure to call well in advance for reservations. Many walk up would be diners were turned away last night!

1  Thank mrangel322

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Oh my gosh, I can't praise this restaurant highly enough! Out of curiosity we had looked up TA to find out which were the top restaurants in Vancouver and this was at the top of the list! Keen to try it ourselves we were lucky enough to secure a booking.

Although it has limited seating it has a lovely atmosphere with the open kitchen and the owners and staff are so lovely. You can tell they love what they do!

The food is divine. I had the beef carpaccio, pork cheeks and lava cake and my Mum had the goats cheese, scallops and creme brûlée. We both agreed that our respective meals were out of this world - definitely some of the best food we've eaten in Vancouver. The flavours were divine, the mash particularly was scrumptious and the scallops and pork cheeks were cooked to perfection.

Eating a 3 course meal that is top quality for a reasonable price was brilliant.

This was also my Mum's last night in Vancouver so it was the perfect way to end her visit. Thank you! Will definitely be back!

2  Thank barnicole85
Reviewed May 8, 2014

A preference for French food is growing on my part, stimulated by an excellent French restaurant in Aberdeen who's name escapes me, and the wonderful Michel's maison (or something-blame middle age) in Victoria.
So with this one, I literally searched TA for French cuisine and took a punt based on what I had read. Couldn't reserve from the UK so sent a polite email begging admission on the relevant date which was even more politely (and promptly) answered in the affirmative.
Rocked up at 1930 and was awarded with a table for 2. The tables appear very close together but it is one of those laws of physics confounding places where your increasingly animated romantic prattling isn't overheard by the next table (thankfully) and you (annoyingly) cannot hear theirs.
Anyway, it is all about the food. But I am not a foodie. My partner just loves food. Suffice it to say that for a very resonable $108.00 ($64,000,501 after Canada's taxes) we had one of our best dining experiences ever. So instead of telling you that the foie in the foie gras was a little under boiled, or that the notes of plum in my chateau neuf de Pape were not plummy enough, JUST BOOK IT AND GO. It's magnificent. A meal here will have your beau declaring undying amour for at least the next 24 hours. Do it. Watching the master-chefs at work is simply an added bonus. These people love their job and their customer service reflects that. NOW GO !!

3  Thank ApprenticeHighlander
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The food is outstanding, service wonderful and attentive and atmosphere simply charming. Best restaurant in Vancouver? Yes.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We made a reservation at this restaurant for our wedding anniversary because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. We wanted a special experience and were not disappointed! Our evening was totally memorable in all respects, from the delicious food, the presentation, the ambience, and the gracious hosts. It was similar to dining at small bistros in Lyon, France. The scallops and the halibut were outstanding. We both had the lava cakes for dessert, absolutely to die for! The 3 course meal is very good value.

1  Thank diwaldo21