“Excellent!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Carrall Street
Transit: Waterfront Station Chinatown Skytrain Station
Description: One part lifestyle boutique, one part restaurant, Secret Location is a concept store that offers deliciously fresh design and cuisine. Housed under one roof is a visually stimulating Tasting Room and carefully curated retail boutique. Our Tasting Room offers modern multicultural cuisine with an emphasis on authenticity. Enjoy multi-course meals, extensive selection of wines by the glass, Italian artisanal coffee and pastries made daily in-house. Our boutique offers new, thought provoking pieces that embrace creative ingenuity, quality craftsmanship and bold thinking. Shop fashion, literature, novelty, gadgets and home accessories.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Great five course dinner in a beautiful setting. The combination of settees, tables and chairs did make for a relaxing space. The foie gras was one of the best I've had. Polished service. Very reasonable pricing considering courses came with wine or cocktail pairings. Very talented bartender - his cocktail pairings were very much spot on.

1  Thank RAlmazar

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We had 5 course dinner. Excellent food and service. Creative dishes with fresh ingredients. Portion size could be a bit larger. Very nice and contemporary decor. Definitely will go back soon !!!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Up from Seattle on a weekend break. Wandering Gastown and found the Secret Location empty on a Sunday night. But the menu looked intriguing, so we tucked into the 10 course tasting adventure. With wine pairings. We've eaten our way through our share of tasting menus up and down the west coast and around the world, and have had some amazing meals, but never have we had a 10 course extravaganza where each and every course lit up our taste buds and the wine was the perfect compliment. From the asparagus and caviar to the tea infused ostriche to the squab with chocolate and star anise to the dill flower Ice cream, each course was a surprise and a delight.
The aerated foie gras with the berry mostarda should probably be listed as a controlled substance: slightly crunchy, sweet, savory, rich, light. Amazing. Foodie crack.
Our hats are off to Chef Alvarez and his crew.
We will be back.

secretlocation_one, Manager at Secret Location, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Hi Streatandeat
Great handle, and thanks for the entertaining review. We enjoy surprising & delighting diners and shoppers and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We lived in France from 2009 to 2012, and made a habit of celebrating birthdays and anniversaries at Michelin-starred restaurants in France, Spain and Italy. It's a tradition we have so missed since coming home to Vancouver. Our city has wonderful, exciting food, but this was the first meal we have had that approached that Michelin standard. The food at Secret Location was creative, playful, exciting, and absolutely delicious. The wine pairings were perfect, right down to a surprising rose-scented cocktail with dessert. Our server was informative but not intrusive, and seemed genuinely excited and proud of the meal. We had the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings, and the price was so low we were worried for the restaurant's survival. Standout dishes for me were a frozen foie mousse, a fresh prawn bite, and an outstanding rhubarb-based dessert. Bravo, Chef, we are so hopeful that Vancouverites will support your exciting vision!

Marcel D, Manager at Secret Location, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hi VanFamily,
It was a pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you again soon. You are astute and nailed our mindset - creative, playful, exciting and delicious. Bravo you!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

As someone in the restaurant and hotel business I have always stayed away from doing reviews.
I am a chef by trade, have opened and operated several top restaurants & I am certified teacher of the International Sommelier Guild, I am also the GM of downtown boutique hotel in Vancouver. So let’s assume that I am familiar with the biz.
If I ever was going to write a review I should be fare, so I decided to go to this restaurant three times, have the same things to see if they could actually recreate what I experienced the first time (food that made me pay attention and stop talking and that does not happen often) I thought this would be fare as consistency can be challenging for any restaurant. Trust me I have been there.
Now it’s has been over three times and it has become my reference for outstanding, consistent and cuisine that is just perfection. In my opinion this restaurant has food that compares and surpasses some of the restaurant that I have visited in France, Portugal, Spain, Great Britain, Italy, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong & China, east to west USA and Canada.
I will compare Jefferson Alvarez cooking phenomenon to Juan & Elena Arzak, Daniel Boulud, Joan Roca, Daniel Guisti and more.
I am so happy to see the addition of Secret Location to the Vancouver’s culinary stage offering mouth opening cuisine that you would normally have to travel the globe to experience. I cannot stop telling people, this is must go to experience for individuals seeking true masterful creations and execution.
I also went for brunch twice, again WOW!!!!!

2  Thank jronco
Marcel D, Manager at Secret Location, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Hi Jronco / St. Regis. Thanks for your thoughtful words. We have always considered ourselves part of the world stage and it's nice to see recognition from experienced and well-travelled professionals like you. See you again!