“Amazing atmosphere with food and service to match!”

Tap & Barrel - Olympic Village
Reserve with OpenTable
Tap & Barrel - Olympic Village is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #166 of 3,811 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southeast False Creek
Description: The heart of the neighbourhood - celebrating life with the best products that BC has to offer. We serve the province's best selection of local craft beer and premium wines on tap, and our regional food is locally sourced and made from scratch. Our home is your home... welcome to Tap & Barrel!
“Amazing atmosphere with food and service to match!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have been here a number of times and I'm always impressed.The food is good, the service attentive and the drinks are great.I have tried a number of things on the menu and have yet to be disappointed. We had the chicken burgers which in my mind are the best I have ever tasted.
A great casual night out showcasing Vancouvers best views in the city.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Alison G

Vancouver, Canada
“Great selection of beer, very good food, friendly staff, handy location”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Tap and Barrel is a very welcome addition to the area of False Creek near Science World, which had previously suffered from a lack of good waterfront eateries (and drinkeries). It's easy distance from walking distance, located in the Village at False Creek (the old Olympic Village), which is a destination in itself with its plaza, public art, shops and well-landscaped sea wall.

There is a wide range of craft beer on tap, mostly BC brews and all delicious (all the ones we've sampled anyhow). There are also wines on tap, which we haven't tried, but it's nice to have the option of just one glass. The patio has a lovely view over False Creek and downtown towards the mountains, and in winter the interior is a cosy haven from the rain.

The food is excellent - not too fancy, but well presented and tasty, though we recommend that you ask for the burger without the caramelized onions, which just get in the way of a really good burger experience. We recommend the deep-fried pickles; and I still need to try the yam fries with marshmallow! There's a good children's menu, and colouring sheets and crayons are provided for young children. There are also high chairs available if needed. There's a bar downstairs for those who want to sample the beers without eating.

The staff are friendly, helpful, prompt. and knowledgeable.

The only slight downside is that it's not particularly cheap; but nor is it stupidly expensive.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank rahvan
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Gem yet to be discovered”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

(I would have given it 3.5 stars but that option is available)

I have been to Tap & Barrel a few times now since they opened this year and its a place you can for surely sit back and enjoy.

Location:
There is no doubt that the location is perfectly situated with great views. Its proximity to downtown is a nice little cab ride or a longer'ish stumble. On a sunny day, get there early so you can for sure get a seat on their huge patio which for sure you must give a try

Menu:
The menu boasts some traditional pub favourites but I only ate once of the three times I've been and I heard so much of the PB&J burger that I had to try. Yes, its unique and different but I wish there was a bit more PB on it. Drinks for sure are what they do very well I will say. I remember saying to myself "$7.50 for a beer, wow!" but when you get that ice cold beverage you will fully understand why its not in the $6 range, you will for surely be pleased.

Downsides:
The long waits for sure. Over an hour wait is a bit long when all you want is a beer. So if you plan to hit T&B, get their early or you will for surely know what I mean to wait.
Twice I sat inside and I have to say I wasn't that thrilled to be honest... its a pub on the water and when I go again, good or bad weather I will opt for outside. Inside is not that much interesting for me. I thought it was extremely loud for some reason and the windows were quite fogged up so the view was not so much.

• Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Easy nite out”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tap & Barrel is conveniently located close to all transport routes and although it is busy, has really efficient waitress service. As we had not booked, the only available tables were on the outside and even though the first snow had fallen on Grouse Mountain, the effective outdoor heaters made it a really pleasant being outside.

A "little secret". The service on the outside is so much more efficient so don't be afraid of the weather.

• Visited October 2012
North Vancouver, Canada
“An unfortunate disappointment”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Tonight my six of us went for dinner at the Tap and Barrel, using gift certificates my mother had received.
The Tap and Barrel is definitely a pub made for sunny weather with more seating being outside than in, so it was a bit disappointing (but not unexpected) that we had to dine inside tonight because of the rain.
Due to the early hour we were there and the inclement weather, it was pretty quiet and yet the football game was still blaringly loud as to impact my ability to hear my mother who was at the far end of the table.
I get that I am getting old and decrepit and that I don't enjoy atmospheres like what I found at the Panaroma Brown's on Friday where my friend and I had to almost sit in one another's laps to be heard, but on an off, slow night with sparse attendance? Maybe don't beat down your patrons eardrums with something they likely don't want to listen to to begin with.
The second strike? The wine prices. Really? The cheapest glass of wine on the list is $9 a glass? Really? For years I have lamented wine prices in restaurants: they're ridiculous. And in the last year or two some restaurants seem to be cluing in to this and offering house wines for $4 and $5 dollars a glass. I get that this restaurant wants to have an extensive wine list and that they are somewhat more avant garde with the way they are offering their wine from the cask, but at least offer a cheaper alternative for people that can't stand the thought that their two glasses of wine (plus HST) will cost more than a decent Cotes du Ventoux at the liquor store.
For a rather slow night there was an amazing number of staff around but I didn't find the service was excellent. By comparison, we ate at Bridges for lunch last weekend and our waitress was slammed but stopped by our table often and was exceedingly gracious. She was actually one of the best waitresses I've come across.
Our meals came and - to reference Bridges again - for the price point? I'd rather go to Bridges. My meal was good, but obviously it had been waiting somewhere for the other dishes to be ready as it was tepid at best. I wouldn't say my food was bad but, having been to (don't kill me) the Browns at Granville Island yesterday, my $14 shrimp tacos (and $4 wine) were much tastier as well as cheaper than tonight's meal.
So, after an average and overpriced meal and a shouting match to be heard over the football game, we ask for the bill. It comes to $155 and my mother puts down the two $100 gift cards. The waiter promptly comes to collect them and then returns to our table to impart the following bit of wisdom which just doesn't sit well with me: they will not give cash or credit back for the difference. We can either leave a $45 dollar tip, or my mother can use one gift card, and then pay cash for the residual $55 plus tip.
I advise the waiter that this is inappropriate.
The waiter says something about the policy having to do with "corporate".
I ask to please speak to the manager.
The manager comes over and spouts the same parrot-talk as our server and I tell him that it's unacceptable: we discuss what a gift card is, and how it's not supposed to leave its recipient in the lurch in any manner.
He says he will go and "make a phone call" and see what he can do.
Really? Really?
Magically he manages to figure out how to transfer the balance that is owing to us onto one of the gift cards. Wow. That must've taken some doing, eh?
I'll definitely be interested to see how these guys who are all deck and floor to ceiling windows make out between now and the spring/summer because they blew it big time tonight.

• Visited October 2012