“Wonderful meal at a great price”
Review of Rangoon - CLOSED

Rangoon
Cuisines: Burmese, Vietnamese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Description: Small (35 seats) casual restaurant on a busy strip in Kitsilano, Vancouver. Relaxed ambiance, eclectic soft music and most importantly, fine Burmese traditional cooking, European classics with authentic Vietnamese menu. Seafood appies, authentic Burmese salads, soups, pastas with choices of sauce , curry main dishes and a few fine desserts. Fully licensed.We offer a wide range of menu items including authentic Burmese dishes, chef's creative dishes, authentic Vietnamese dishes and Vietnamese Pho.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had read previous reviews that said the fusion food was okay but the Burmese food was fantastic. With that in mind, I can not comment on the fusion food as we ordered traditional Burmese. The server (owner?) was really helpful in advising us what to order. There were six of us. We had the prawn rolls (sort of fusion) and they were tasty. Then shared the squid mushroom appetizer which was fantastic. I will go back for this dish alone. It had so much flavor and wasn't the usual deep fried. Really tasty. We followed that with two salads. A tomato salad and a chicken salad. They looked identical so we thought they would be the same but the flavours were completely different in each one. Both were good but have to say the flavours in the tomato salad were outstanding. So fresh tasting. We then shared two curries. The butter chicken was similar to Indian but slightly different and the coconut prawns were excellent.

All of that food (and the six of us were full) and three beer and the bill totaled $96.00. Well worth it. I

2  Thank marialynnvancouver

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We discovered Rangoon last summer (2012) shortly after their opening. We love the patio for drinks in the sunshine and have our own unofficial table there. The patio is a great place to watch all the action of Kitsilano with a view of the beach just down the street. Thaddeh is a great host and his wife is a wonderful chef. Her food is simply delicious! Thaddeh has travelled the world as an adventure tour guide. He and his Burmese wife will provide a great and entertaining evening for you.

1  Thank Janice P
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had the opportunity to have dinner at Rangoon's twice last week. The food was fresh and delicious. We had the shrimp avocado rolls and tomato bruschetta as starters, followed by the chicken salad (exquisite) and coconut prawns for our main courses. There is a nice selection of affordable wines. Great service. I highly recommend you give it a try.

1  Thank kittyfarrell
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Brought along one of my friends who had recently travelled to Burma with me to try it out and was not disappointed AT ALL!! The owner was very friendly, and the meal was fabulous! We tried the tofu salad, Owno-Kauk-Swe soup and curry prawns. I only wish there were more traditional Burmese dishes! The tofu salad was delicious and the Owno-Kauk-Swe was a nice light creamy coconut texture. I loved that they served the condiments on the side, you could put in whatever your taste preferred in to the soup. The Tofu salad was a nice portion size and was seasoned perfectly. If you can eat spicy, let them know because the chef does an excellent job of seasoning the dishes so that the spice doesn't over-power the other flavours of the dish. They do also offer other more westernized dishes too, so if you're going with less-adventurous people they have the option of enjoying a more westernized meal with you at the same table. I've heard only good things about the carpaccio so definitely will come back to try other things on the menu.

1  Thank Didi L
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Very good cuisine, fine and tasty. Owners are charming and cheering. You can have spicy meal or a steak. They cooked it as you like. Personnaly, I prefer their burma cuisine. I like exotic meal. It as been delicious.

1  Thank MKaszap