“Buck-a-shuck Madness”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Commercial Drive
Cross street: Graveley
Transit: Bus #20 and Broadway Skytrain within walking distance
Description: One of East Vancouver's favourite neighbourhood Restaurants with a constantly rotating menu based around what's fresh, in season and locally available. All of our meats are hormone and GMO free from free range pastures and all of our seafood is sustainably fished wild product.
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I'm a HUGE fan of fresh oysters so naturally, Merchant's was on my radar. We came here one Sunday evening with a few other oyster enthusiasts.

Food: There oysters are fresh and delicious - definitely among some of the best I've had. At a buck-a-shuck, I ended up downing 5 dozen. Yes. That's 60. To myself. I also had the beef tartare to start and the Pork belly as a main. Both were delicious but a little on the small side. Between the 6 of us, we ended up having 25 dozen oysters. I joked with the waitress asking if they had run out - not even close. I was informed that some guy came in once and had 18 dozen (216) to himself with 2 chocolate cake slices in between. Nice.

Service: Right from the time we made a reservation till the end of dinner, the servers were very nice and accomodating.

Ambience: Cool laid back little place. We were seated at the front corner of the restaurant surrounded by floor to ceiling windows which would have been great if it weren't at the corner of an intersection with a few sketchy looking dudes outside gawking at our meals.

Final thoughts: Great little place for fresh oyster fans. I believe the buck a shuck occurs on certain days/times only. Be sure to make a reservation as the place isn't that big.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Was tempted to visit this place for the first time when browsing the Dine Out Vancouver menus online! Good choice! Excellent and friendly service from Doug, who I believe is the owner. Oysters were fresh and delicious. We chose 3 different main courses from the dine out menu - sweetbreads - yummy; lightly smoked beautifully cooked steak and vegetarian pasta dish - all very tasty! Cheese board and desserts shone. We moved to the bar for dessert as our Dine Out "first sitting" time was running out and the next load of diners was waiting. It was great to sit at the bar and chat to David - we ordered a few more drinks and more oysters!!!
Will definitely return!

1  Thank bokki
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Went with family for appetizers . Waitress chose our wine based on our orders of mussels and oysters . Oysters and mussels were great and there was no long wait in receiving our orders . Restaurant has nice ambience ,friendly staff and price range to suit all budgets . Will definitely return on our next visit .

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Me and my friends went to this nice little place for brunch on a Saturday, and while I was very excited about the $1 oysters and was completely satisfied, my friends are not big fans of oysters and were hoping to get something else off the menu and were surprised to see that there is not much to choose from when it comes to the classic lunch menu items. We did order the Pulled Pork Waffles and Lobster Benedict, and my friends are not that adventurous with food and were a little not that impressed with the salty/sweet combination of the waffles and whipped cream. Lobster Benedict however was amazing!
Oysters were great, however the sauces they are served with could be improved upon. I mean serving oysters with cocktail sauce is not very unique.
The maple/vanilla/bourbon syrup is the bomb!!!! I wanted to buy some from them, but they don't sell it. I suggested they start selling it and send me a bottle to Alberta.
I also tried the Caesar cocktails (Digger Bar). I tried the Gin Digger and it was very refreshing and different. I also tried the Tequila Digger and it was amazing!!! I'm currently trying to reproduce it at home, and hoping to serve it at my next party.
Come and enjoy the oysters and if you like new experiences with food, like I do, try other items on the menu!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

In truth I went here as I had seen ceviche on the menu as I walked by one day and when I took my young daughter there for our father\daughter day I was not disappointed. It's a pretty small place with fairly tight quarters, so you may end up chatting with a neighbour, but I still liked the atmosphere. The menu is small but this usually means both fresh and well prepared so it was fine by me. It covers off a pretty good range of items and I think it would appeal to most folks. There is also a 'fresh' board with a handful of other items as options. Portions are not massive but in truth by the time we were done we were happy. Our meal that day covered the ceviche, oysters, peppardelle noodles and steak. It was delicious but the food all came out at the same time which was a bit sad. The staff though were apologetic and pulled up another table to hold everything. Overall, between the food, the staff and atmosphere it was a nice dining experience and I would go there again. Even my adventurous 10 year old, who gave a thumbs down to her first oyster tasting, liked it and asked to go back. Note, as a family guy I wouldn't say it is a place for kids i.e. chicken finger & fries. My daughter is older and brave'ish in regards to foods she tries so it worked.