“Best New Yaletown Restaurant”
Review of Minami Restaurant

Minami Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Minami Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 3,732 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Cross street: Helmcken and Davie
Transit: We are located half a block east of the Yaletown - Roundhouse Canada line Skytrain station.
Description: Established as the second location of the Aburi Brand in North America, Minami Restaurant offers a combination of Japanese and West Coast cuisine in a comfortable, rustic atmosphere. Minami presents the Aburi take on red meats and seafood dishes to enjoy with your choice of sake, wine, or specialty cocktail. From intimate gatherings with family and friends to professional corporate events, our welcoming atmosphere with amazing cuisine and impeccable service creates a lasting dining experience. Aburi Sushi is a corporate symbol of our company, enjoyed by local Vancouverites and international travellers alike. Minami is excited to introduce the innovative concept of Aburi Sushi appetizers. This combination of our shari (sushi rice), cooked using a unique traditional method, and our flame searing technique has turned sushi into a truly exciting culinary experience. At Minami, Aburi sushi is best enjoyed as a zensai (appetizer) course and, paired perfectly alongside your favourite beverage, sets the stage for the rest of your Aburi dining experience. Our entrée menu places an emphasis on our beef, poultry, and seafood cuisine. Our dedicated team of chefs perfects our entrées not only by focusing on the protein, but also by pairing it with fresh, seasonal vegetables in order to complement the rich flavour of the meat. We insist that a great entrée must be accompanied by an equally great side. Minami is the sister restaurant of Miku Restaurant.
Vancouver, Canada
“Best New Yaletown Restaurant”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

OK-I have to admit that I may be biased since I have eaten here at least a half dozen times and now am on a first name basis with some of the staff including the Manager, but this place is awesome. The food is fusion Japanese with flare. Try the aburi (lightly grilled using blow torches) salmon and steak rolls. I usually hate Brussels sprouts but these guys make them not only palatable but absolutely delectable. The oshi sushi roll is devine.
The ambiance is typically Yaletown vibrant. Seats at the sushi bar and at the drinking bar are just fine when the tables are full. Outdoor in the back, tables for lunch time convos can be had with the foresight to arrange reservations.
Highly recommended for whatever occasion or to impress the out of towners visiting.

• Visited March 2013

Halifax,Nova Scotia
“Amazing night”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Enough said in the title.
Sat at the sushi bar and kept ordering for two hours non stop
Some of the best sushi we've ever had and we've been all over Japan.
Great spot in Yaletown attracting an energetic hip crowd howeve this does not derail the exceptional service from all the wait staff.
A special thanks to Annah for making sure we had a nice evening.How could we not!
Can't wait to return.You need to try this place.

Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Wow! Just...Wow!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The food is seasonal, regional, fresh, fusion, and fantastic. Beautifully presented. By attentive, approachable servers. Water and tea (each guest has her/his own beautiful pot) are never left unfilled. The Minami Zen, which I highly recommend, is a selection of 4 seasonal items, 5 pieces of Aburi sushi and miso soup. Mine included a piece of ebi fritter - a black tiger prawn, baby greens, sweet chili aioli, and soy balsamic - that melted in my mouth with a melange of perfectly blended flavours. There were pieces of aburi salmon oshi sushi, a nigiri sushi with pressed local salmon, jalapéno, and miku sauce. Every sauce was different, designed to perfectly complement the dish. There were also salads, and braised short rib that was so melty that it could be broken apart with chopsticks. In addition, on the menu are specialty rolls, hand-made gyoza, noodles, baked sablefish, and a variety of salads - something even for the non-sushi eaters of your party.

The decor is modern Japanese. The atmosphere is quietly energetic. The food is glorious.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ocanada1973
Hobart, Australia
“The best Japanese fusion”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We decided to have a meal here after making a booking for another evening at another restaurant in Yaletown. This place was fantastic. We were led to a quiet table out the back away from the busy main section. The menu looked fantastic. We started with a shared platter of sashimi, followed by gyoza and duck. All dishes were great. For mains we had a seafood raman with jalopenos and assorted stir fry vegetables. We agreed it was the best Japanese meal we'd had for some time. Highly recommended!

Visited February 2013
New Westminster, Canada
“Outstanding service and food...”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have a severe allergy to all things fish (shellfish, seafood, fish sauce, you name it), so eating out is not 'easy' for me or the restaurant. We were celebrating my brother in law's birthday here and I was hesitant to go because of the seafood dominated menu. I called on the day of the reservation and spoke to 'Ben' who listened to my concerns and then had me wait while he spoke directly to the kitchen staff. He came back and assured me that they could prepare my meal seperately and that I would be able to have as equally a fine experience as my sushi eating family. When we arrived, our server knew immediately that our party had the 'fish allergy' person. He was attentive and checked on my regularly to see how my food and comfort level was. The food? It was amazing. I had a roasted beet and goat cheese salad to start and the cornish game hen for my main course. It was by far one of the best meals I've had anywhere, the service was beyond any expectation I had and the atmosphere is chilled but warm. I would eat here again in a heartbeat.

• Visited February 2013