“Fable”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: between Maple and Cypress
Description: Local food brought in daily and prepared fresh for service. Defining Canadian cuisine.
Edmonton, Canada
“Fable”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Great food, prepared in unique and inspired ways. The canned tuna is just one example of presenting food in an unexpected and delicious way. We had 6 different dishes (2 appetizers, 3 entrees, 1 dessert), all were fabulous with lots of sharing.
The service is very good. It is so easy to enjoy yourself, relax and leave feeling you have been out and been "treated".

1 Thank Dale B
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for this lovely review. It pretty much sums up our mission statement to a 'T'!

• Korean first
“Consistently delicious”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I have now been to fable at least a dozen times. Both for dinner and for breakfast. Part of the reason we are such fans is because we have two little boys and they are very family friendly yet at the same time this does not feel like your everyday family joint. We just ate there yesterday. Brunch. The kids have the Kids big breakfast. It covers all the bases. Pancake, amazing thick cut bacon and lovely smooth soft scrabbled eggs. My wife had the farmers Muffin breakfast and loved it. I had the scrambled eggs with brioche toast. It's usually good but yesterday it was outstanding. Maybe we were just hungrier than usual. Also had the breakfast Caesar. Wow! Best we've ever had. The owner/hostess has always been so gracious to us. And they all go out of their way to make us feel welcome with or without the kids. She often comps us little things like a cappuccino or a side of bacon or sausage. When we leave we're happy, the price is certainly right. Cheaper than White spot or any of those type places and the food is at least a dozen cuts above. A great place, good vibe, great food, wonderful staff and not overly pricey.

Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
What a great review! We love kids and we love that they love Fable. They're an honest bunch, so when they like the food, you know you're on track.
Thank you for being a fabulous regular & see you all of you again very soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
“My husband won't shut up about this place..”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had one of the most amazing meals we have ever had here. Quality and tasty options? Check. Great drink selections? Check. Reasonable prices? Check. Friendly staff? Check. We originally tried to make a reservation on Open Table, but it said there wasn't a table available for another week. We decided to call and were pleasantly surprise to find out that a table had opened up that evening. Although, there were only a handful of entree options my husband and I still had a difficult time deciding. According to the waitress they change their menu on a normal basis, depending on what local food they can get their hands on. Both sets of appetizers and entrees were fantastic. If the s'mores dessert is an option - YOU MUST ORDER IT. You will thank us. Enjoy!

1 Thank aholla1
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
We're so glad you made it in! We don't open all our seating to Open Table, so it's great that you gave us a call and got to enjoy. We love that your husband is talking us up in Boston - though he's likely a Bruins fan... we've decided we like him ;)
Vancouver, Canada
“The one place to eat if you were to pick any in Vancouver.”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have now eaten at Fable three times (twice for supper and once for breakfast). Each time was with a different group or person and the restaurant had the same appeal for each one. Simple menu, straight forward philosophy and amazing food and service. This is old style eating with a twist. Awesome!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank JFriswell
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your visits and this short and sweet review. You just need to stop in for lunch to complete your trifecta!
Vancouver, Canada
“The Best Vancouver Has to Offer”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

As a somewhat regular at Fable, I feel like my opinion isn't exactly the most objective. However, I still feel like (as the Internet often makes people feel) my opinion should be heard by others. I also strongly believe in the people behind the restaurant as much as the food made in the restaurant. So, please take my status as 'sometime-regular' as a disclaimer to this particular review.

First off, to those of you who are visiting Vancouver, I cannot think of a better place to experience Canadian cuisine than by eating at Fable. The restaurant and the people that work there are (in my not so humble opinion) the city's best. There is a down to earth nature that runs a direct line from Chef Bird's vision to the food served on the table. There's something incredibly grounded in the way the food (local ingredients) at Fable is approached. You can't help but marvel at the lack of pretension in its preparation. There's a reason Fable was listed as many times as it was in The Georgia Straight's 2014 Golden Plates. It's just that good.

The brigade is, for all accounts, tireless in its delivery and execution. Moreover, Fable's servers are just as incredibly gifted as the chefs in the kitchen. I honestly don't know how they execute as well as they do, and with such attention to detail and utter grace. There is something incredibly familial about the staff's relationship to the restaurant and to each other. It is obvious they take pride in their job, and respect each other as much as the food being plated. After having been there as many times as I have, I can tell you there is no such thing as bad service at Fable.

Alana, Carmen, Jordan, Shannon, and the rest of the staff are incredible, and for good reason. They are absolutely good people that go beyond the call of duty with every service. They do everything in their power to be there for you, to help you, and, most importantly, to make your visit the best possible (and memorable) it can be for you. It doesn't matter if you're eating at Fable alone or with a large group, everyone gets the same kind of warmth from the servers. If it sounds like I am going to bat for them, I am: they are important to me not just as a regular, but, as a person who believes in Fable's success as a restaurant at the forefront of farm to table cuisine.

Speaking of the restaurant's cuisine, you cannot go wrong with whatever you choose from the menu. I actually can't count the number of times I've had the Chickpea Fritters as an appetizer. There is something just so fantastic about it that I can rarely help myself from ordering it when I am there. However, as I said, you can never go wrong with whatever choice you make, be it the salads, the fish (one of my favourites has always been the Steelhead Trout) or the meats (the duck's always been fantastic). One of the best things about the menu is its impermanent nature. That is, it varies from time to time (often, I believe, depending on the season). If you're there early enough for dinner service, you might get lucky and get to order the feature. In fact, some of the best meals of my life have come from the daily features from Fable (elk sausage, free form rabbit lasagna, Southern fried chicken & grits, etc.). And then there are the desserts. Again, much like the rest of the menu, the desserts change from time to time as well. However, you can never go wrong with the parfait/meringue (it's ALWAYS amazing).

Ultimately, the owners and Chef Bird have created a successful restaurant, employed with people who make every night matter for its customers. Year by year, Fable has become (again, in my opinion) the forefront of Canadian farm to table cuisine. And personally, being a local, I couldn't be more happy to eat there.

3 Thank kwolfhard
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Kevin, Thank you so much for this review from the whole team. It is always a welcome sight to see you at our door. Your perspective may not be labeled 'objective' since it feels like you are almost a member of our 'Fable family' but the many many visits to us makes it especially valid. See you very soon!