“It lived up to the hype”
Review of Fable

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: between Maple and Cypress
Description: Local food brought in daily and prepared fresh for service. Defining Canadian cuisine.
Langley City, Canada
“It lived up to the hype”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife selected this restaurant to try for her birthday after reading the glowing reviews. We already knew that we were going to try the canned tuna - I was looking forward to observing the open kitchen. I had noted in the reviews how responsive the owner was to the comments and I was impressed with the response to a particular review. This had to do with concerns a patron expressed about practices in the open kitchen which were deemed unsanitary. Having operated and worked in an open kitchen I have an understanding of how difficult it can be to maintain appropriate standards. Even professional cooks/chefs are not always as aware as they should be of such things and being human can fall in to unhealthy practices. As it turned out i was seated such that I could not observe the kitchen activity. What I did see impressed me - the servers were very attentive, knowledgeable and obviously invested in their work. The food came out quickly, was presented well and was everything people were saying in the reviews. I could make a meal of the canned tuna!! The steak frites, beet salad, duck breast and squash gnocchi were all delicious. The only criticism and it is minor is the lack of space between the tables. We all agree this is a place to come back to and I would highly recommend it to others.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank anchoman1
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you so much for this excellent review. So glad to hear that the great care the team has for what we do shone through for your experience. We hope that you do make it back to grab a spot at the Chef's Table, and please don't hesitate to provide your feedback to the kitchen team or the manager. Some of our best improvements have come from the feedback of our guests, and we always seek to be even better. Looking forward to having you back.

• Korean first
“Best of Kits”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Fable delivers the benchmark for all other restaurants. Nice simple space. The kitchen in view. Excellent service from knowledgable servers. The food is so delicious. I love the concept. I have been 4 times and consistently great.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank kimcrm
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for making us one of your regular spots in Vancouver and your high praise - we know what a great food city this is, and appreciate your comments so much. 'Till next time!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never disappoints.”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I've been to fable for dinner and most recently lunch. Both visits have completely wowed me with the service and the food. The canned tuna is an absolute must have and the shepherd's pie is the best I've had.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank blewyonder
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you so much for this short and sweet review! We are looking forward to your next visit - time for brunch perhaps? Boozey Brunch on the last Sunday of every month is one that we take a few reservations for - a Vancouver fave! ($4 premium dbl Caesar? - What!)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Good for lunch, even better for dinner”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

After enjoying lunch at Fable some time ago, expectations were quite high for dinner. Everything was delicious. For appetizers, we had both the tuna and duck liver spread served with thinly sliced, toasted crostini. The duck was so good that we all ordered the duck breast for our main course. It was perfectly cooked with touch of cranberries and paired well with my glass of pinot noir from BC. For dessert, we shared the lemon parfait and smores; great way to end a lovely meal. Really busy on a weeknight. 10 people were waiting at the door when we left. Reservations a must.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank geminimonkey
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you so much for this lovely review and for being our guest at both lunch and dinner! It's true, reservations are a great idea. We do leave room for our walk ins and local guests, but the competition for these seats progresses as the night wears on, so the safest bet is always to secure your spot in advance. We look forward to seeing you back for more deliciousness.
Vancouver, Canada
“Credit where credit's due, excellent food”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I reviewed Fable a couple of months ago and at the time thought it rather average, but I'm glad I decided to visit a second time and I think it deserves a re-review. Our mains were fantastic, the special pork was amazing and the chicken very tasty & moist.

There was also a pork croquette first course which was good, but I couldn't tell it was pork inside by taste, it just tasted like fried croquette. Good though.

Again, the service was excellent, relaxed and friendly.

My only remaining criticisms are that the wine is quite pricey at minimum $50 a bottle. In addition, I'm not very taken with the first course options, of which there are 8:

1. In my previous review I pointed out my dislike of the canned tuna, which I now think must have put me off my entire meal on the prior visit. I'm amazed that so many people like it; taste and consistency of mushy baby food in my opinion but I guess that's why I'm not a Top Chef judge, although its hype from the show may go some way to explain its popularity.
2&3. There are two salads (= 25% of the starter menu), which I think could be just one to allow another option.
4. Mussels at $18. Too expensive for a first course.
5. Charcuterie board. I always find these too lazy. I can buy meat and cheese from the Granville island and put it on a plate without any difficulty and at a fraction of $22.
6, 7, 8. Spaghetti and meatballs, Flat bread & Chickpea fritters. Not tried them yet but the flat bead and chickpea fritters don't exactly fill me with excitement. Meatballs do sound good!

Anyway, in conclusion I'll be back but until there are some cheaper options for wine I won't rush to buy by the bottle and i'm in no rush to try all of the starters.

• Visited November 2013
Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you so much for returning to Fable and updating your review! We think it's pretty awesome that you came back and so glad that you enjoyed your visit. Definitely do try the meatball & the fritters. These two appies, along with the canned tuna are the only three that have been on the menu since day one and all three due to the fact that they get such good feedback - so many of our regulars would be heartbroken to see them gone! As for the rest, the menu is always changing, (already some changes since your visit) so maybe something new will catch your fancy. One tiny correction on the wine, the least expensive is the Paso Creek Cabernet, which is $44/bottle. We chose to go with a wine list that is not as inexpensive as it is exceptional wines at good value. The price for the wines are excellent for the quality in the bottle and competitively priced compared to most Vancouver core restaurants for what is on the list. Our focus on the small list is BC wines, and it is a fact that quality doesn't come as cheap as the rest of the world, which is why we will always have some old & new world wines that offer value at lesser prices. There are less expensive BC wines available but they (usually!) aren't as good quality and don't do justice to the food. Thanks to changes over the last year to liquor laws, we also have corkage at Fable, so feel free to bring in something delicious and only pay the corkage fee as we are happy to serve it. Once again, thanks so much. We appreciate this great review and look forward to seeing you back.