“One of the best brunch spot in Vancouver”
Review of Fable

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: between Maple and Cypress
Description: Local food brought in daily and prepared fresh for service. Defining Canadian cuisine.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My first visit to Fable today for brunch and it did live up to my expectations. Food was not in big portions which suits me perfectly. The service was friendly and attentive, and we got a free home made chocolate and cranberry cookies as well. The restaurant was not too spacious but I like the open kitchen and the non pretentious decor. Food was refreshing and personally I would rate this one above the other popular Vancouver brunch spots like Medina, Two Chefs and a Table or Hawksworth. W/E bruch starts at 10 am and no reservation.

1  Thank Canucks301

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Food was very good, unique without being over the top.
Service was terrific.
Great vibe. Rustic room that suits the menu and style.
Crowded and a bit rushed for tables that arrived early.
Two cocktails, appetizers and entrees, one bottle of wine and tip = $200.

Fable is the closest thing to a typical bustling Parisien bistro that we have found in Vancouver. Tables were full and there was a good energy in the room.

The service is excellent. Everyone works as a team, helping each other serve, take orders and clean tables. After sitting in too many restaurants watching dirty tables sitting empty or guests trying to get servers' attention, it was a pleasure to see the professionalism at Fable. The servers were all very familiar with the menu and unafraid to make recommendations.

If you want to spend a relaxing evening sipping a glass of wine, you may want to book a late table. Early diners were rushed through their meals to make way for the people lined up at the door. The staff did it very subtly and professionally, but nonetheless there was no dawdling.

Food was exceptional. It is inventive without getting too carried away. The canned tuna was tasty. The flavours are dominated by lemon and potato as opposed to the tuna, but I would order it again anyway. The steak frites was perfectly cooked. The sauce was a bit on the sweet side for my taste, but strictly a personal thing. The pork tenderloin special was actually a dinosaur-sized porkloin chop. Perfectly cooked. The brussels sprouts were the highlight though. You haven't had brussels sprouts until you have had Fable's deep-fried version. Amazing.

There is a handful of interesting cocktails, most of them classics updated with fresh fruits or herbs. The wine list is short but a decent cross-section and fairly priced.

Our only complaint was that the dishes were over-salted. When we go back - and we will - we'll ask them to go light on the finishing salt.

We had a reservation which I highly recommend. They save some tables for walk-ins, but there was a line-up of people at the bar.

1  Thank GVancouver
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went for lunch while exploring Kits, and were so happy we did! It was no problem to get a table as it was about 1:30pm.
Delicious, fresh, interesting food, and FANTASTIC service. Don't let the small-ish menu fool you. I suspect they do it right or just don't do it.
I loved the eggplant sandwich, and their local beer selection is pretty good.
The atmosphere was super chill and the room is beautiful to look at with unique details in the decor- ie: pitchfork chandelier (!)
They treated my family like gold, 3 year old and all.
Our only disappointment was that we didn't make it back again before the end of our trip for dinner or brunch.

1  Thank cubabound2008
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have dined at Fable now 5 times since December 2012 and every dinner has been amazing. This is one of my top favorite Vancouver restaurants. Its always busy so make a reservation well in advance, but always worth the wait. We've had almost everything on the menu and nothing disappoints! Bon Appetit!

1  Thank trvlynwilburys
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It was my last night in Vancouver. Without even asking my friend for an awesome final dinner, she made a reservation here. WOW! I've eaten at many places in Vancouver. This is one of the best.

The place was busy for a Tuesday night. Lot's of people chatting, drinking, and eating. The four of us ate like kings, and drank like queens!!!

Here's what we ate:
4 - Sawmill Bay Oysters (appy)
3 - Canned Tuna (appy)
1 - Duck Breast (I ate this)
1 - Chicken (entree)
1 - Steel Head trout (entree)
1 - Tagliatelle (entree)
1 - Lemon Tart (dessert)
1 - Cheesecake (A nickname for my dog, jk)

We drank
1 - Victoria Gin and Tonic
1 - Glass Burrowing Merlot
1 - Glass Farmers Cabernet Sauv
1 - Half carafe of the Merlot
1 - Coffee

No one commented that the food was anything other than spectacular. I had one of the canned tunas. These little beauties are exactly what you think. Warm tuna that you mix together in the "can" then scoop it onto toasted bread. Brilliant. Then the duck was something awesome, out of the ordinary. Tender, not oily as duck can be, and not at all salty as I've encountered before.

She ate all the Trout commenting that it was delicious. He ate all of the chicken without commenting (translation:It was great). She ate the tagiatelle, commenting that she loved it. This ones a bit of a foodie so keep that in mind.

We split the desserts between the four of us. Yes, it was tough to NOT eat the whole lemon tart! It was tart for sure, lemony for sure. But spectacular!

As to wine, the merlot was really special. Not a typical merlot. Pleasant since I'm not a big fan of the varietal.

Folks, the service here was amazing. We were tended to regularly. It was a very very good experience and a wonderful final dinner in Vancouver.

Total bill plus HST and tip, $224.25.

Happy eating!! If you found this review helpful, please tap on the adorable little "yes" button below. Thanks!!!

2  Thank ExoticDave