“diet portions”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: between Maple and Cypress
Description: Local food brought in daily and prepared fresh for service. Defining Canadian cuisine.
Reviewed September 12, 2012

we went for brunch in June cause the thai restaurant next door was closed. nothing to write home about. small portions and handful of tired salad was given. 1 slice of toast was offered with my omlette and i had to ask for butter. keep in mind we are not overweight buffet eating types so when i say the portions are small, i am not kidding. the design of the room i found dark and service was just ok. we don't get the hype. i am sorry .

on a good note though, the owner did send me an email the other day after 3 months to say he was sorry and wanted to buy me another brunch after i put my comments in on another website called Dine Here. i think i shall pass as the food itself was not wow so what would be the point.

Kathy S, Owner at Fable, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

June 2014 - An update from brunch a couple years ago. Our brunch menu has changed a bit since this visit during our first few months of operation. Initially we had designed the brunch menu as mains with optional sides. Thanks to feedback such as yours, we learned that most guests would prefer a full meal with sides included in a total price. If you haven't, I hope you venture back to visit us again. We get a lot of great feedback on the quality and value of our brunch with ingredients supplied by our local farmers. We would love a return visit to get your opinion on the current menu. Boozey Brunch on the last Sunday of every month is a great time to take advantage of this. (Half price Mimosas, beer and double Caesars) It's a busy one, but we do take a few reservations for this particular brunch for those planning ahead to avoid a wait.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went for a family birthday dinner and was pleasantly surprised. The "canned tuna" was whimsical and very tasty. The chickpea appetizer was good but the fig salad was so tiny that it looked like an apple slice on a large plate.The mains were limited and we enjoyed the duck and the flatiron steak with an amazing pepper jam. Vegetarian option of Parmesan eggplant was flat and lacked flavor. Lemon pot and chocolate mousse scored good reviews with marscopone cheesecake an ok. Pretty good value for a hot new restaurant. If only they could buffer the noise a bit...

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We visited Fable restaurant with some friends for a Saturday night dinner. My wife had gotten me hooked on top chef, so we thought it'd be fun to check out the restaurant.

It did not disappoint. One of the best meals I've had in a really long time.

For the 1st course, we had the mushroom flatbread, heirloom tomato salad, Spaghetti and Meatball (from the show) and the chickpea fritter. All were wonderful.

Mains were the Potato crusted chicken, gnocchi and eggplant parmesan. The potato crusted chicken was incredible - great idea. The rest of the mains were also very nice.

Desserts were yummy and the service was great. It's a pretty busy place and a little loud, but it was overall a fabulous meal. Will definitely be going back!

1  Thank JBI747
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stopped here for lunch, it has a very nice atmosphere. Simple menu, not too many choices (which is great, sometimes the menu is pages and the food is mediocre!!) We all enjoyed our food which was simple but very fresh tasting! (sandwiches and salads) My only complaint was there menu was printed from a computer & two of the items we ordered from the menu had been changed! Our server was very attentive and I was impressed enough that I hope to drop by for dinner the next time I'm in Vancouver. I hope Trevor Bird great success he is a "Top Chef".

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Visited last night, first time, and definitely will return! Will sit at the bar next time, as Top Chef Trevor Bird held court there and over the open kitchen, it looked like a lot of fun!

We had made reservations for 5:30 (opening) through the email system (would have been nice if they were on Open Table) and upon arrival, were seated right away...within 30 minutes the place was packed! Our server was extremely attentive and passionate about the menu. We started with the special, which was a salmon tartare, very finely diced salmon topped by equally finely diced cucumber, very refreshing and very delicious! Also had the spaghetti (taggliatelle) & meatball, as a viewer of TC, I had to try that..and while the meatball didn't 'explode' with the inner juice, it was tasty nonetheless, especially with the parmesan foam.

Both had the flat iron steak for our mains, and the kitchen was happy to comply with my request of 'blue rare' and uncut, arriving just as requested, the steak was complemented with the pepper jam, quite yummy. The potato accompaniment was fine, but the broccoli was bland.

We left room for dessert, and had been highly recommended to try the lemon pot de creme, another tasty dish by the team. My dining partner asked if the macarons were available for take out, as any TCC viewer knows about Curtis' treats...alas, they aren't (limited supply = greater demand), so instead we ordered the treats plate: 2 macarons - so light and fluffy and incredibly delicious, 2 tiny pavlovas, equally light & fluffy with blueberry sauce, and 2 chocolate chip cookies (I thought these were just so so).

Overall, an excellent meal, and as I stated at the front, we will return! Way to go Trevor, Kathy & Curtis !

1  Thank Ecowoman