“Tasty bits”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: between Maple and Cypress
Description: Local food brought in daily and prepared fresh for service. Defining Canadian cuisine.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went for a family birthday dinner and was pleasantly surprised. The "canned tuna" was whimsical and very tasty. The chickpea appetizer was good but the fig salad was so tiny that it looked like an apple slice on a large plate.The mains were limited and we enjoyed the duck and the flatiron steak with an amazing pepper jam. Vegetarian option of Parmesan eggplant was flat and lacked flavor. Lemon pot and chocolate mousse scored good reviews with marscopone cheesecake an ok. Pretty good value for a hot new restaurant. If only they could buffer the noise a bit...

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We visited Fable restaurant with some friends for a Saturday night dinner. My wife had gotten me hooked on top chef, so we thought it'd be fun to check out the restaurant.

It did not disappoint. One of the best meals I've had in a really long time.

For the 1st course, we had the mushroom flatbread, heirloom tomato salad, Spaghetti and Meatball (from the show) and the chickpea fritter. All were wonderful.

Mains were the Potato crusted chicken, gnocchi and eggplant parmesan. The potato crusted chicken was incredible - great idea. The rest of the mains were also very nice.

Desserts were yummy and the service was great. It's a pretty busy place and a little loud, but it was overall a fabulous meal. Will definitely be going back!

1  Thank JBI747
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stopped here for lunch, it has a very nice atmosphere. Simple menu, not too many choices (which is great, sometimes the menu is pages and the food is mediocre!!) We all enjoyed our food which was simple but very fresh tasting! (sandwiches and salads) My only complaint was there menu was printed from a computer & two of the items we ordered from the menu had been changed! Our server was very attentive and I was impressed enough that I hope to drop by for dinner the next time I'm in Vancouver. I hope Trevor Bird great success he is a "Top Chef".

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Visited last night, first time, and definitely will return! Will sit at the bar next time, as Top Chef Trevor Bird held court there and over the open kitchen, it looked like a lot of fun!

We had made reservations for 5:30 (opening) through the email system (would have been nice if they were on Open Table) and upon arrival, were seated right away...within 30 minutes the place was packed! Our server was extremely attentive and passionate about the menu. We started with the special, which was a salmon tartare, very finely diced salmon topped by equally finely diced cucumber, very refreshing and very delicious! Also had the spaghetti (taggliatelle) & meatball, as a viewer of TC, I had to try that..and while the meatball didn't 'explode' with the inner juice, it was tasty nonetheless, especially with the parmesan foam.

Both had the flat iron steak for our mains, and the kitchen was happy to comply with my request of 'blue rare' and uncut, arriving just as requested, the steak was complemented with the pepper jam, quite yummy. The potato accompaniment was fine, but the broccoli was bland.

We left room for dessert, and had been highly recommended to try the lemon pot de creme, another tasty dish by the team. My dining partner asked if the macarons were available for take out, as any TCC viewer knows about Curtis' treats...alas, they aren't (limited supply = greater demand), so instead we ordered the treats plate: 2 macarons - so light and fluffy and incredibly delicious, 2 tiny pavlovas, equally light & fluffy with blueberry sauce, and 2 chocolate chip cookies (I thought these were just so so).

Overall, an excellent meal, and as I stated at the front, we will return! Way to go Trevor, Kathy & Curtis !

1  Thank Ecowoman
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Being an avid watcher of Top Chef Canada I was thrilled learning that Runner Up Trevor Byrd was opening up a restaurant right here in Vancouver with an open concept kitchen featuring Farm to Table food. Arriving later in the evening (9pm) caused us to miss out on the nightly special but our food was delicious.

We started with 'spaghetti & meatballs' (a duck meatball over pasta with a foam on top), main courses were the Chorizo crusted Halibut over mussels & chowder while my husband had the Duck Breast. Duck was too fatty for his liking but my halibut was perfect and had a great chorizo kick that went well with the chowder. Dessert was Lemon Pot De Creme (I would've liked more gin foam to cut down the overpowering lemon taste but it was a lemon dessert, I should've expected that). Husband had the Chocolate Pudding that he likened to a perfect homemade brownie with cinnamon. Can't wait to return!

1. Sit at the bar & watch the cooks prepare meals,
2. A little too loud for us but everyone seemed to be having a great time
3. Love the decor/theme. We got to sit under a pitchfork chandelier!
4. Don't share an appetizer, they are too good to not have your own