“Good for a break on Granville Island but the licensing law brings it down”

Granville Island Brewing
Ranked #33 of 359 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours of Canada's first modern microbrewery last about a half hour and include a souvenir glass and a taste of four brews. Kids are welcome; they get a taste of root beer. COST: C$8.75. July and Aug., Sun.-Wed. 10-7, Thurs.-Sat. 10-8; Sept.-June, daily 10-7; call for tour times.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First off - I didn't do the tour. I just stopped by to try a few local beers and take a break from walking around the market.

This place is limited to serving 12oz to a person and no more. It seems really ridiculous but it is technically a tasting room rather than a full bar. A bit of a far cry from breweries I'm used to visiting in the states where you typically can expect 3 pours and a take-home pint glass for $10.

At Granville Island Brewing, for around $6 you can either get your selection of 3 small tasters to try out different beers (when I went, there were 8 choices - their regular rotation plus a small batch), or one 12 oz pour if you know what you want. I recommend trying out 3 different ones or even splitting six if you come with another person willing to share.

The beers themselves are pretty good - I liked the IPA and Amber best. I couldn't help but leave wanting more, though. There is a gift shop attached to buy more of whichever is your favorite, but I didn't want to lug it around all day so I passed.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

The place is great! The service is veeeeery good! The only problem is the alcohol law. So, you can just drink 12oz of beer. But you have to try it.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We went to the brewery hoping for a tour, but got turned down, as they seem to have very few tours daily (we went on a Friday in August). Sat at the bar and ordered off the beer sampling menu, can chose 3 different kinds (small glasses). Unfortunately they cannot serve more than a certain amount to each as per their license, which is understandable, but would have been nice to know ahead of time so that my boyfriend and I could order different beers and sample more.
Will go back for the tour another time.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

After spending some time on the island, wandering and looking at the many craft stores, I decided to stop at the brewery to have a break. I decided to have a beer tasting and poutine. The poutine was good, way better than the first one I had, so that made me feel curious about trying it again if I will have the possibility. I had a lager beer that was pretty bland and two IPA one was really great! The reason why I give only 3 on 5 to this place is that the service was really slow and the waitress misplaced the beers plus the atmosphere inside the brewery was weird, I have never brewery or bar or pub were none was smiling, both staff and clients. Who knows maybe I was there on a bad day.

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

As a home beer brewer and drinker of craft beers I am very impressed with the Lions Winter Ale! A terrific beer, compliments to the brewers.
The ale is rich in complex chocolate aroma and taste, velvety smooth and very well balanced.
I only wish this beer was available all year round - please!
Enjoyed my visit to the brewery and tasting the range of beers.