“Don't buy the Tour”

Granville Island Brewing
Ranked #31 of 351 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours of Canada's first modern microbrewery last about a half hour and include a souvenir glass and a taste of four brews. Kids are welcome; they get a taste of root beer. COST: C$8.75. July and Aug., Sun.-Wed. 10-7, Thurs.-Sat. 10-8; Sept.-June, daily 10-7; call for tour times.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Don't buy the Tour”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

If you know anything about the making of beer, or can read...don't bother with the "paid" tour of the brewery. Drink a beer in the tasting room and take a good look around and save your money. The beer was good...the tour pitiful.
Also...the tour concludes with a tasting of 3 of their beers...they pick the three, not you.

Visited August 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Port Coquitlam, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Might as well tour my local liquor store”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We went on a Friday a little after 12 noon hoping for the 2pm tour. It was sold out to an ESL group so we were told to wait for the 4pm tour. There was no way I was going to wait nearly 4 hours sowe were told we could do the tasting, however all the beers they had were availiable in the liquor store. With the exception of 1 beer that was seasonal (Irish Red - something along those lines) that you could also buy in bottles.

You can't reserve for the tours and we had plans the rest if the weekend. Not living in Vancouver, going to Granville Island multiple times hoping to get in on a tour is a waste or time. #1 If a group wants a private tour then don't exclude the public. Book another one for goodness sakes. #2 Allow folks to book and pay on-line. Then no-one is disappointed.

I won't take the time to return.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank Kim H
London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“The Disney world of Beer......a little fake!”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This brewery does have some okay Beers on tap, indeed the seasonal Ginger Ale Beer was fantasic but GI Brewing is actually owned by Molson Brewey, so they are not the small, family owed, keeping in the Style of Granville Island place that everyone thinks they are. I found this a little dissappointing.

I was also told that the Brewery you see in through the windows is not really the whole picture, I was told that only very small batches are made there and most of the beers are actually brewed off site and shipped in, just like any other pub in the world. I could be sat at the Keg across the road, which serves their beer and it would make no difference at all.

They are also not allowed to serve more than a pint of beer as its "a tasting room" and not a Bar. So one pint and your out!

I really wanted to like this place, but once I found out a little about this place and dug a little deep than just the tourist facade, I just couldn't. I found this kind of like Disney world, Kind of fun to be there, but no depth to the place at all, like living a lie!

The Seasonal beer is the only thing that redeems this place.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank cpj79
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Bit of a let down for beer lovers”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

During a recent trip to Vancouver I had harboured a desire to visit the brewery to hopelly join a tour or failing that sampling a few beers in the taproom. I was disappointed that the tours on the day were already fully booked (but judging by the size of the tour chances were remote if we were earlier)..

So we waited for a spare table and were served a very small portion (taster - 4 oz) of amber ale and a small size (12 oz) of a different brew... Thirst quenched I fancied a Hefeweizen (having lived in Munich I am fond of Weissbiers) and when I tried to order one I was told I had already had my allocated 12 oz and could not be served any more. My partner was able to have another beer.

Some pretty STUPID bye-law or INSANE management decision to restrict allowances to 12 fluid ounces means that if you sampled three taster samples and fancied another beer at the taproom - you would not be given one. Places like these are havens for beer afficianados, and this CRAZY situation suggests that the powers that be are interested in getting bums on seats rather than ensure continued custom for the breweries products.

Although the beer itself was pleasant I left with a sour taste. Go to BC Liquor store instead.

United States
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Interesting Tour, Good Beer”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We visited Granville Island Brewing while visiting Vancouver. It's on Granville Island which makes it fairly accessible (via water taxi or car, or even on foot). We took the brewery tour which includes a beer tasting at the end. While this small brewery only produced their specialty or seasonal beers the tour was still interesting and the beer tasting was also great...then we knew what we liked and what to order (I prefer the Pale Ale). They say this is the first microbrewery in Canada, which I find interesting.

We were there during the day on a rainy weekday and it wasn't very crowded.
They don't really have a kitchen, but do have some light snacks like chips or quesadillas, but then, you're probably not going to a brewery for the food!

2 Thank pinkbird_creates