“Great food. Welcoming staff.”
Review of Tavola

Tavola
Reserve with OpenTable
Tavola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This restaurant was a few seconds from our hotel. The atmosphere was casual and warm. We loved the food and unlike another reviewer, I was delighted that the owner sat down with us to passionately describe the menu.

There are newer reviews for Tavola

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked this restaurant for a birthday dinner party. I wanted superb food and the ability to seat everyone at one table. Tavola offered both and so much more. The owner met with me a couple of weeks before the event to go over a menu to be served family style, that is: bowls and platters of food set out on a long wooden table for everyone to help themselves. At $40 per person there was a selection of appetizers, a salad, a selection of entrees and desserts set out with the assurance that all would be refilled until everyone was full. Every dish was delectable and authentic Italian. I could not have been happier with the food or service. I only wish they had more comfortable chairs but I sure wont let that small oversight prevent me from returning!!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Spent 12 days in BC (Victoria ,Whistler ,Vancouver ) and were looking for place close to our hotel prior to a late night flight back to South Carolina. Great location in neighborhood close to Stanley Park . Excellent pastas and appetizers served family style for the four of us to share in addition to the best grilled pork chop I have ever had. Fresh local ingredients with great friendly service. A wonderful end to our time in BC

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Neighborhood local eatery that gets five stars from our party of four! Waiter personalize the entire menu, sharing the history of the restaurant, and tidbits about the extraordinary chef! We loved the tonnarelli dish and the pork chop was the tastiest our friend had ever eaten. So happy we discovered this restaurant while meandering around Stanley Park and the great city of Vancouver!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We went out for dinner with 2 other couples. This was an occasion to take out friends who were in town from England.

After a long day of outdoor activities, I was not enthralled about driving 45 minutes into Vancouver to have dinner. However, the positive food experience negated the “long” drive to the restaurant. This restaurant is located in the West End of Vancouver 3 blocks away from Stanley Park and about 12 short blocks (less than ½ mile) away from English Bay.

Our friends chose this restaurant because they have been here quite a few times. They fell in love with the restaurant the first time after coming across it while looking for a place to eat.

We arrived around 6:30 PM and were promptly seated because we had reservations. We did not leave until 9:45! The restaurant was busy but not crowded.

On our friend’s recommendations, we ordered several dishes for everyone to share.

We ordered the following:
• Gnocchi
• 24 ounce rib steak with salsa verde and arugula salad
• Halibut – 2 orders
• StickyToffee pudding
• Ice cream with espresso sauce
• Apple pie ala mode

In my opinion, the salads could have used a bit more dressing/seasoning.

The crostinis were okay; nothing spectacular. Two of the plates consisted of burrata cheese, prosciutto and toasted baguette. The Burrata cheese was creamy.

The Carbonara sauce was very creamy and tasty. This item was not on the menu so our friend asked the server if it was available. The restaurant accommodated our friend’s request.

I also enjoyed the gnocchi as it was very tasty.

The halibut dish on the daily special board was $29. The halibut we had was maybe at most a 6 ounce portion with vegetables. I don’t know if the halibut we had was the same as the one on the board. If it was, I don’t think it was a particularly a good value. Taste wise it was okay.

The 24 ounce steak alone was okay. I didn’t think much of the salse verde in terms of taste.

One of the English friends commented on the sticky toffee pudding saying that it reminded him of pudding he had back home. In other words, he enjoyed it.

The other 2 desserts – apple pie ala mode and the homemade ice cream were okay.

Our friends that chose the place were on a first name basis with our server and he was mostly attentive to our needs (other than the time I had to ask for a water refill). As a result, the service was better than average. Plates were changed twice. Our server made recommendations on food choices.

The food was slightly better than average. Price wise the food was on the high end but somewhat reflected in the quality of the food.

Examples:
Burrata cheese appetizer - $18.00
Crostini - $9.00 for 3 single servings
Pastas – average $18.00
Steak - $50.00

I would rate this restaurant 3.75 out of 5. I’m splitting hairs but I would give the rating another ¼ “star” if the menu was more value friendly; that is, either a bit more quantity or a little less on the price point.

Notes:
The restaurant can be a bit noisy at times. There’s no need to dress up – casual is okay

Be sure to check out the daily special blackboard at the front door.

You can check the restaurant website for a partial menu listing.

There is metered street parking available if you can find it.

There is an outdoor patio that seats 12 to 16 people. While we were there, there was a party of 6 or more with 2 toddlers sitting in the small patio.