“End of a great trip to BC”
Review of Tavola

Tavola
Reserve with OpenTable
Tavola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 3,776 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Charleston, South Carolina
“End of a great trip to BC”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Spent 12 days in BC (Victoria ,Whistler ,Vancouver ) and were looking for place close to our hotel prior to a late night flight back to South Carolina. Great location in neighborhood close to Stanley Park . Excellent pastas and appetizers served family style for the four of us to share in addition to the best grilled pork chop I have ever had. Fresh local ingredients with great friendly service. A wonderful end to our time in BC

• Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Johns Island, South Carolina
“Tonnarelli Cacio e Pepe-"The Best"”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Neighborhood local eatery that gets five stars from our party of four! Waiter personalize the entire menu, sharing the history of the restaurant, and tidbits about the extraordinary chef! We loved the tonnarelli dish and the pork chop was the tastiest our friend had ever eaten. So happy we discovered this restaurant while meandering around Stanley Park and the great city of Vancouver!

• Visited July 2013
Richmond, Canada
“West End Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We went out for dinner with 2 other couples. This was an occasion to take out friends who were in town from England.

After a long day of outdoor activities, I was not enthralled about driving 45 minutes into Vancouver to have dinner. However, the positive food experience negated the “long” drive to the restaurant. This restaurant is located in the West End of Vancouver 3 blocks away from Stanley Park and about 12 short blocks (less than ½ mile) away from English Bay.

Our friends chose this restaurant because they have been here quite a few times. They fell in love with the restaurant the first time after coming across it while looking for a place to eat.

We arrived around 6:30 PM and were promptly seated because we had reservations. We did not leave until 9:45! The restaurant was busy but not crowded.

On our friend’s recommendations, we ordered several dishes for everyone to share.

We ordered the following:
• Gnocchi
• 24 ounce rib steak with salsa verde and arugula salad
• Halibut – 2 orders
• StickyToffee pudding
• Ice cream with espresso sauce
• Apple pie ala mode

In my opinion, the salads could have used a bit more dressing/seasoning.

The crostinis were okay; nothing spectacular. Two of the plates consisted of burrata cheese, prosciutto and toasted baguette. The Burrata cheese was creamy.

The Carbonara sauce was very creamy and tasty. This item was not on the menu so our friend asked the server if it was available. The restaurant accommodated our friend’s request.

I also enjoyed the gnocchi as it was very tasty.

The halibut dish on the daily special board was $29. The halibut we had was maybe at most a 6 ounce portion with vegetables. I don’t know if the halibut we had was the same as the one on the board. If it was, I don’t think it was a particularly a good value. Taste wise it was okay.

The 24 ounce steak alone was okay. I didn’t think much of the salse verde in terms of taste.

One of the English friends commented on the sticky toffee pudding saying that it reminded him of pudding he had back home. In other words, he enjoyed it.

The other 2 desserts – apple pie ala mode and the homemade ice cream were okay.

Our friends that chose the place were on a first name basis with our server and he was mostly attentive to our needs (other than the time I had to ask for a water refill). As a result, the service was better than average. Plates were changed twice. Our server made recommendations on food choices.

The food was slightly better than average. Price wise the food was on the high end but somewhat reflected in the quality of the food.

Examples:
Burrata cheese appetizer - $18.00
Crostini - $9.00 for 3 single servings
Pastas – average $18.00
Steak - $50.00

I would rate this restaurant 3.75 out of 5. I’m splitting hairs but I would give the rating another ¼ “star” if the menu was more value friendly; that is, either a bit more quantity or a little less on the price point.

Notes:
The restaurant can be a bit noisy at times. There’s no need to dress up – casual is okay

Be sure to check out the daily special blackboard at the front door.

You can check the restaurant website for a partial menu listing.

There is metered street parking available if you can find it.

There is an outdoor patio that seats 12 to 16 people. While we were there, there was a party of 6 or more with 2 toddlers sitting in the small patio.

• Visited June 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Could there be better in Vancouver? I doubt it.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My boyfriend introduced me to Tavola 4 or 5 months ago and now we visit weekly. It's slightly disgusting how often we are there, but the food is THAT good.

The restaurant is a hidden gem! The decor isn't my favorite but it's got this home-y, neighborhood feel that can't be replaced. The servers are warm and personal (a very nice change from the pretentious type you would expect, especially in Vancouver).

If you're looking for an outstanding Italian meal, check out Tavola. Food is tapa style although you don't have to order that way if you don't want. Some recommendations: any of their fresh pastas, brick chicken, vegetable antipasto, prime rib steak, and chickpea crostinis. Don't forget dessert...all of them are good but best Sticky Toffee Pudding i've had.

**Reservations are highly recommended on the weekends.

• Visited June 2013
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Our server was very friendly almost too so, he seemed to forget he was there to serve, I had to ask twice for my wine, the food was just okay and a little to simple for the price, the walnut pesto crostini appetizer was too heavy on the pesto, everything took so long to come out and yet the place was fairly quiet. My advice, skip this place..