“tasty food”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Gastown
Reviewed September 14, 2013

friendly staff and the very far end of gas town. tasty food with lots of choice. bought groupon would possibly not have gone otherwise.

There are newer reviews for Deacon's Corner

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Second time eating at Deacon's Corner, and will likely be our last. Had heard good things about it, but can't understand why. Food is adequate, although generally bland, but the service is appalling. Upon walking in we were "greeted" with a cursory glance and waved in the direction of an open table. When our server arrived he seemed amazed, and possibly even slightly disgusted, that we wanted to order food and drink from him. His look of bewilderment continued throughout our time there whenever we asked for something. "You... want to... order orange juice??? Really? Oooookay, I guess I can get that for you..."

Food took a long time to arrive, and we then had to ask three times for milk for our coffee, each time being treated as though we had just asked if we could sneeze in the server's face. The food was pretty good, although nothing special, and had the service been better we may have returned in the future since we live only a few blocks away. As it is, we will go elsewhere for our brunch from now on.

On another note, on a previous trip to this restaurant for an early dinner around 4pm, we were turned away upon arrival as they were closing up. This was despite their opening hours clearly stating on their website and on the door that they were open until 5pm that day. The irony of this was that at the time they were making a big deal of the fact that their extended opening hours were coming soon. Perhaps they should concentrate on remaining open until they say they will before they decide to open even later?

1  Thank Ross M
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Review is a compilation from 3 separate visits for dinner (we had Groupons to use up).

Visit 1 (1 star) - Sunday evening. Arrived more than an hour before closing time and was told by one of the guys that it was slow and that they were closing shop early. Not too impressed as we had travel a bit to dine there. Guy comes running out as we were getting in the car, and mumbled something about the cooktops not working properly. Yeah... right. And I'm a monkey's uncle.

Visit 2 (4 stars) - Weekday dinner. Only 3-4 tables occupied the entire visit. Service by pregnant waitress was warm and efficient considering that she was the also the hostess + waitress + bus boy + cashier. Food came out slow but some dishes were worth the wait. In particular, the friend chicken and gravy was delicious. Salmon burger was okay. Kids loved the root beer float.

Visit 3 (4 stars) - Saturday night dinner. Again the place was pretty deserted (3 tables). Different female waitress, but again nice level of service. 2 cooks in the back and food came out slow again. Again the fried chicken was delicious and the fries were made to order. Chicken nuggets was yummy and cobb salad was HUGE. We polished it off with another round of root beer floats and left happy.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had heard good things about Deacons so I and 5 friends went down there. We waited for about 45 minutes then, being next in line, the hostess choose another group behind and sat them before us when they had the same amount of people. We left after that... I went back a few days later to find out if it was worthy of the wait... I may have been scarred from my initial experience. It tasted like a slightly above average cafeteria. I wouldn't go back... This waitress was friendlier though. I'd stick with Havanas...always a safe bet.,

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place has the charm of a old movie scene. The inside is diner style and transfers you to the 1960. The food though was 2013 and very tasty. I loved the bacon syrup grits and the classic egg benny. The coffee is fresh and the servers were kind and very attentive. I will be back.