Samesun Vancouver
St. Regis Hotel(Vancouver)
$269
$261
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$236
Agoda.com
$453
$388
1,448 results
All reviewsbar downstairsdaily activitiescommon roombed dormsamesun hostelfree breakfastmovie roomgreat locationlynn canyongranville streetfirst floorcommon areasenjoyed my stayclean roomsheart of downtownwould stay againcentral location
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I am staying at the Samesun at the moment. This will be my 4th and last night. I am staying in a six bed dorm. There is very little room and the beds squeak with each miniscule move. Thenlught from the neon sign us right outside my room and I have had to train myself to avoid it. The street noise is loud and rowdy. Fellow guests choose to congregate outside the dorms in drunken conversation at 3am...very loud!!! I can usually sleep through anything but I can honestly say that Ive never slept so poorly in my life. The worst part? BED BUGS!!! I was warned about the reputation of this hostel in relation to bed bugs but I decided to take the chance. I understand that bed bugs are a pest and can occur anywhere, especially with high rotation accommodations. But when you spend the days itching welts on your hands, feet, legs, stomach, chest, buttocks and genitals (yes, those blood suckers don't discriminate) you soon get less understanding and more hostile. The only reason I haven't left is because I don't want to spread them to a clean place!!! Right now it's 1:17am and Iam sitting in a coffee shop simply to avoid getting eaten alive in the hostel. A girl staying at the hostel told me she saw a huge rat in the kitchen. Not cool.

The price between hostels is not that vast...spend a few more bucks for a cleaner, quieter place...it will cost you less in the long run. That way you won't have to waste money for a room when you're sitting in a coffee shop instead.

I will also note that I'm not fussy nor a party pooper. I like to party at the best of times but remain respectful of sleeping people. I'm also aware its not the Ritz-Carlton.

There are sine good points such as the common areas such as the tv room, radio playing 90s grunge tunes, free wifi , good location. Some staff are extremely friendly and helpful while others are rude and dismissive. One guy sat at the reception desk for about three minutes eating his lunch before he acknowledged me...how's that for service? Would I stay again? No.

Reviewed March 5, 2010

I stayed here a few nights to attend the Olympics. The staff was very friendly despite the busy and hectic atmosphere in Vancouver and in the hostel at the time. The building itself is older, so the rooms and bathrooms aren't perfect or spotless, but they are for the most part clean. No bedbugs noted as some previous reviews mentioned. Rooms are pretty bare-bones: metal bunk-beds, lockers, and a hard floor. The bathrooms had plenty of hot water, but at one point people were waiting in line for a shower to free up. Free wifi was a plus. Free breakfast of toast and juice was basic but very good.

The location is great; it's really at the center of the city. It was pretty rowdy and noisy when I was there, but I'd imagine it would be calmer post-Olympics. Overall, it was a great experience and fun place to spend a few nights.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I stayed at the SameSun with some friends and was extremely disappointed. Some of the friends I travelled with got bed bugs from staying here, and the staff didn't seem to care. The neighborhood that the hotel is in is very trashy and is obnoxiously loud at night. Don't plan on getting any sleep if you decide to stay here. Also, it was very smelly and dirty. The toilets often overflowed and flooded the bathroom. I loved being in Vancouver, but the experience at the SameSun really ruined my trip. I got no sleep and got very sick from staying there. There are definitely much better options out there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I look forward to staying in hostels when I travel because its a great way to meet new people, and in turn this gets you out of the hostel to make the most of the nightlife etc. However, this hostel didnt seem to do very many events and those they did were mainly limited to staying in the hostel common room/downstairs bar. This also meant that the place was constantly noisy and the kitchen was always packed with people having a party in there.

The rooms were fairly standard, mine had lockers but I'm not sure that everyones room has them. Big downside about the rooms was the bedbugs, and to be honest the staff did not seem too bothered about this. I have stayed in my fair share hostels and accept that bedbugs/cleanliness are a common problem, however I feel that the hostel should make more of an effort to keep the problem under control.

Kitchen was fine with good facilities, and pots and pans only available from reception was a good idea as it meant you always got a clean pan (since a lot of people think they dont need to wash up in a hostel!) Unfortunately I got soooo much food stolen whilst staying here, not really the fault of the hostel but gives you an idea of the kind of people staying here and got very tiring coming in from work and finding that some loser has taken your food.

I stayed here for about 6/7 weeks and made a few good mates but couldnt wait to move out. I have to say that a large number of the other guests felt the same way. Very disappointing experience, I have obviously been lucky with other hostels- dont let this one put you off.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I found this to be a great hostel. It's not the most amazing place in the world, but it is the cheapest stay in Vancouver. I would recommend this hostel if you are backpacking or enjoy a no-frills stay. Breakfast was great and so were the people. I was surprised to find they have a tv room, pool table, foozball table, wireless internet everywhere, etc. The bar downstairs (named the Beaver) was great for cheap drinks.

My only tip is that if you drive, DO NOT stay in the parking lot nearby. It will cost you over $150/night. Head up the street a but to the HoJo and they'll let you park all night and the whole day for $14!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business