“WOW”

Hill's Native Art Gallery
Ranked #84 of 312 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: North America's largest Northwest Coast Native art gallery.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Wow...what can I say....a simple phone call to inquire about a local artist, his work and perhaps value of pieces already owned, and with the slip of a phone call I am now lead to write this review. The woman who answered believed she had already hung up the phone, but inadvertently did not....as a result I heard her disparaging comments about my inquiry.
Dear Hills Gallery...you never know who you are speaking to...and I guess you might be best to check your phone to make sure you've hung up after each call...your arrogance and exceeding poor customer service (in what little time she spent with me on the call) will ensure that I will not be spending any valuable time or money in your establishment. In the past a destination with our of town guests...now definitely off the "too see list"...by the way I will find another place to purchase those "fantastic wellies". CMacartney -West Vancouver, BC

2  Thank catharine m
in 4 reviews
"backpack"
"canada"

Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you want authentic native art or items and not something made and shipped in from China then visit Hill's Native Art Shop (in the Gaslamp district. I purchased quite a bit and unlike a few of the reviews, you can find everything from very expensive art pieces to those reasonably priced, it's all in what you are looking for!
I wanted a pair of moccasins made by someone in BC not China or anywhere else, and I got a pair of moose hide moccasins for around $75.00 (which is fair and comparable value) and I was more than happy to support the BC Native Community! I also purchased some framed cards as souvenirs for my family at about $13.00 a piece (these I found on the 3rd floor so don't miss that opportunity). There is so much to see so visit all the floors before making your choices.

1  Thank Sherry C
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Visited Hill's In Vancouver due to a referral from an innkeeper two years ago. Was early in our three week trip to the area so was unaware of other shopping locations. Did purchase a few carvings which we still own & had them shipped. Was overcharged - over five times what we should have been charged. Emailed the store manager & they insisted that they were correct. Luckily I still had the packaging including the postage. Spent two weeks scanning & emailing all this information before they retreated & refunded us the postage overcharge. Was recently back & did stop in just to browse & found the store getting shabby - torn carpets for instance. Really needs remodeling. Have discovered many other options for purchasing native artwork - museum gift shops are the best, small galleries also. Part of the fun of vacationing is the search!

1  Thank kiefer
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Imagine 3 floors full of native artwork. From carvings to jewelry, stone sculpture, woven materials, leather and beads, vests and jackets, and t-shirts. We really enjoyed walking about the store. There is no sense of being rushed but instead a feeling of “let’s explore, let’s look over there, I wonder what is up the stairs?” It was very enjoyable. I just wish the prices were not so very high.

1  Thank lovetotravel1492
See more reviews
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Ever since I first came to this area in the 1980's, I loved and longed for Canada's and Alaska's First Nations art. When I walked into this gallery, I almost cried... so emotional to see so many beautiful examples of Northwest art, from jewelry to paintings to masks to totems to soapstone carvings. The staff here was incredibly kind, allowing me to browse and enjoy at my leisure. Many new emerging artists are on display here as well.

1  Thank wundersmack